Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1M avios. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Spend a large chunk of them on the trip you and your GF. If you've got enough spare, treat parents or other family to a very special trip.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Roughly (very roughly) ... how many avios might be needed for one person. Assuming say LHR - Asia - USA - LHR
Depends exactly on routing but around 300.000+. There is information in the spending avios sticky on exactly how it is calculated.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
(Deleted.)
DeathSlam likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 3, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I am actually more curious musical as to how long it took you to accrue the 1M miles? I have been up in the high hundreds of thousands on a couple of occasions but never to the 1M+ mark. I fly just enough to maintain Gold every year and my Avios philosophy tends to be earn them and burn them. I am currently sitting on about 39k Avios which is a pitiful amount by anyone's reckoning!
i am a musician and travel a lot worldwide for concerts. Also I take advantage of AmEx Centurion bonus transfer offers (few and far between in Europe but recently a 20% one appeared). So in this case it took me a year. Slightly less perhaps.

sadly I dropped from gold to silver a month ago (personal reasons meant I had to cancel a bunch of long haul engagements in the last 3 months) but i should be back to gold in the next 3-4 months.

Some lovely advice. Thank you all. My feeling is to wait a bit, use some for short haul with lots of availability, and then insist on having a month long break from gigs/press/work and book an almighty trip next summer/autumn. Life is too short, no?
DeathSlam and SuperstarDJ like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Most people choose not to hold six figure balances because of the very real risk of devaluation - about which you can do nothing.

As for spending them, if it's just two of you then the world is your oyster. Assuming you're not using a 241 voucher, I'd be looking at a partner redemption on QR to MLE in J. You may struggle with availability this close to departure, though. Use BA reward finder website to check out BA options - DXB would still be hot and only 320k return in First - so enough change to do a partner redemption next year.

This.. dispose ASAP.. sell them to mates.

Avios do not gain value
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by musical
i am a musician and travel a lot worldwide for concerts. Also I take advantage of AmEx Centurion bonus transfer offers (few and far between in Europe but recently a 20% one appeared). So in this case it took me a year. Slightly less perhaps.

sadly I dropped from gold to silver a month ago (personal reasons meant I had to cancel a bunch of long haul engagements in the last 3 months) but i should be back to gold in the next 3-4 months.

Some lovely advice. Thank you all. My feeling is to wait a bit, use some for short haul with lots of availability, and then insist on having a month long break from gigs/press/work and book an almighty trip next summer/autumn. Life is too short, no?
Keep in mind that the multi-partner redemptions allow for stopovers -- perhaps lengthy ones -- along the way. I don't know whether BA routing rules (which might just be throwbacks to the days when BAEC redemptions were zone-based) apply to such redemptions. If they don't, and you are, say, based in LON, you could conceivably start your redemption travel from LON, then return to MAN, or AMS, or DUB, or PAR, for example, and make your own way back to LON (perhaps on a separate RFS redemption). Then, weeks or months later, resume your redemption travel from that other city, and return from your second sojourn on the redemption ticket back to LON.

Back when AA offered multi-partner award redemptions, I was able to combine three separate trips -- one to California/Hawaii, one to and around Europe, and one to the Caribbean -- on a single award that began and ended in NYC. Those were the days.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
I recommend going to South Africa in F and going to Plettenberg Bay Area. Great hotel called Emily Moon down there that’s a total chill out spot. If you tour a lot in cities like me, you may enjoy the opposite. Also could pop on safari near JNB.

I’m also trying to spend as many Avios as possible (currently have 1.4m yet I do spend them), but it’s not that easy if you fly a lot and book them on an AMEX as well. I should probably “squander” more for hotels etc.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I use my points primarily for shortish routes in Y that are otherwise expensive cash wise, and have low fee components; the number of points in my balance doesn't really factor into my calculus. Since it's increasingly possible to find good revenue fares in J/F long haul, I generally don't think it's worth redeeming points for this, especially when taking some of BA's surcharges into account.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Ironically I also hit the 1M yesterday so I’ll be watching this thread with interest.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If I had a ballooning in my avios, and hadn't done it to death, I'd be off to Australia/NZ and the South Pacific if you have time for a long trip. It's not the best use of avios but their "value" diminishes the more you get.

There are various ways to make the value tolerable: Amex 241 if you're eligible, or a multi-partner award. [35,000 miles of J flying for 280k avios - around SWP your F options are a bit restrictive.]

Don't be too lax about burning through them, unless you are earning say 400k+ a year. Will you earning/burning change in the years ahead (kids/retirement): if so building a good balance still outweighs the devaluation risk to me.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
LHR-SIN-SYD in F, return, for example, was £1645.84 for two when I booked (I think this might be even slightly more now).
I just dug out a 2007 avios redemption SYD-LHR one way:

Flight number: BA0016
To: Heathrow (London) Terminal 4
Depart: xx Aug 2007 15:55
Arrive: xx Aug 2007 05:55
Class: First

Payment Total: GBP 61.60
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Wife and I are well into the millions each. Not spending any yet, as I'm chasing LTG (5k away), and she won't be far behind on that either. Once we get there, we'll start spending...
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Xonus
Wife and I are well into the millions each. Not spending any yet, as I'm chasing LTG (5k away), and she won't be far behind on that either. Once we get there, we'll start spending...
I'm confused... what impact does chasing LTG have on spending Avios?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm confused... what impact does chasing LTG have on spending Avios?
All travel we do is paid, hence earning tier points.
We could upgrade to F from J, but we're not booking far enough out for there to be any availabillity generally.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Xonus
All travel we do is paid, hence earning tier points.
We could upgrade to F from J, but we're not booking far enough out for there to be any availabillity generally.
Ahh I see. Makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.