FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1M avios. What would you do?
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:27 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by musical
i am a musician and travel a lot worldwide for concerts. Also I take advantage of AmEx Centurion bonus transfer offers (few and far between in Europe but recently a 20% one appeared). So in this case it took me a year. Slightly less perhaps.

sadly I dropped from gold to silver a month ago (personal reasons meant I had to cancel a bunch of long haul engagements in the last 3 months) but i should be back to gold in the next 3-4 months.

Some lovely advice. Thank you all. My feeling is to wait a bit, use some for short haul with lots of availability, and then insist on having a month long break from gigs/press/work and book an almighty trip next summer/autumn. Life is too short, no?
Keep in mind that the multi-partner redemptions allow for stopovers -- perhaps lengthy ones -- along the way. I don't know whether BA routing rules (which might just be throwbacks to the days when BAEC redemptions were zone-based) apply to such redemptions. If they don't, and you are, say, based in LON, you could conceivably start your redemption travel from LON, then return to MAN, or AMS, or DUB, or PAR, for example, and make your own way back to LON (perhaps on a separate RFS redemption). Then, weeks or months later, resume your redemption travel from that other city, and return from your second sojourn on the redemption ticket back to LON.

Back when AA offered multi-partner award redemptions, I was able to combine three separate trips -- one to California/Hawaii, one to and around Europe, and one to the Caribbean -- on a single award that began and ended in NYC. Those were the days.