Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking via expedia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Booking via expedia

Just wondering, what are the disadvantages booking via expedia? Do I get to select my seats as I would being a silver member etc. ? Is there any signficant implications in terms of refunds etc should strike happen and flights are canceled ?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Why bother if you can book direct with BA? Always easier not to deal with a middle-man.

But, yes you can still reserve seats via MMB.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, you can select seats.

If things go pear shaped (or if you simply need to make a change), you'll be dealing with Expedia. That's... rarely fun.

Any reason why you wouldn't book directly with BA?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
If the Expedia fare is cheaper than ba.com, book with BA and claim the twice difference with the price promise

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../price-promise
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
And if BA are more expensive then get twice the difference back with their price guarantee
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And if Expedia look cheaper, give BA a ring to see if they can spot a route to getting the same fare. BA.com has various restrictions and limitations, but a good agent can work around that in their Pegasus system, to come up with better options.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Expedia works well if you don't have any issues. If your flight is cancelled you have to deal with Expedia which can be troublesome as you will have to rebook and get refunds from.them rather than BA.

It can be an advantage if you book a hotel at the same time as it will then be a package deal.

I would be inclined to use BA's best price guarantee and book directly if it's just flights you're purchasing in the rare occasion that you find a flight cheaper on Expedia.
BearX220 and Cymro like this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys - I was just asking because BA doesn't do topcashback unlike Expedia etc.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Thanks guys - I was just asking because BA doesn't do topcashback unlike Expedia etc.
I have used TopCashBack recently for purchasing a VPN service at 60% discount, but for flights on expedia the cashback is only $2.50 and for packages today's deal is $50 max. I would rather buy BA flights directly from BA or AA.com and will forego the cashback, as I have seen the trouble few of my friends and family went through with Expedia and other travel sites, when they had to make changes or when they ran in to problems. At least for me, the cashback amount is not enough to take the risks but would do it if the cashback amount is attractive
AceCobra1 and kalderlake like this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Why bother if you can book direct with BA? Always easier not to deal with a middle-man.

But, yes you can still reserve seats via MMB.
Worth it as part of a package with hotel - far more options on Expedia than on BA holidays. Recently booked a BA flights + Hilton package (5 nights) and the hotel was almost free, when comparing with flights alone bought directly from BA.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer0123
I have used TopCashBack recently for purchasing a VPN service at 60% discount, but for flights on expedia the cashback is only $2.50 and for packages today's deal is $50 max. I would rather buy BA flights directly from BA or AA.com and will forego the cashback, as I have seen the trouble few of my friends and family went through with Expedia and other travel sites, when they had to make changes or when they ran in to problems. At least for me, the cashback amount is not enough to take the risks but would do it if the cashback amount is attractive
Check out CompleteSavings - It is 10% for most airlines - they do not do cashback on BA

But I think I'll just phone up BA and see what they have to offer - pricing up, they are very similar to CX (after a 10% cashback with them), probably go with CX
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Just wondering, what are the disadvantages booking via expedia? Do I get to select my seats as I would being a silver member etc. ? Is there any signficant implications in terms of refunds etc should strike happen and flights are canceled ?
I like to book direct with the airlines as if something goes astray then the airline can help me with rebooking etc. Expdia is just a third party whose agents tend to make up policies about why they can't help you so it seems.

I booked an Iberia LEVE flight directly with Iberia so if there is any issues Iberia can assist me. Also the agent can enter in all the requests and send out an E-Ticket showing the requests and seating assignments. Sometimes airlines hold back seats for assignments to those who directly book with them and only let those third party bookings book the seats at the airport or during onlne checkin.

To this day I do not understand why would one book via a thid party for roughly the same cost as booking direct?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line is that if you choose to select as a TA, a third-party vendor such as Expedia, which does not provide the level of service you will require should things go wrong, you are taking on a lot of risk. Whether it can all be made right eventually is a separate issue from how it is handled on the spot.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The bottom line is that if you choose to select as a TA, a third-party vendor such as Expedia, which does not provide the level of service you will require should things go wrong, you are taking on a lot of risk. Whether it can all be made right eventually is a separate issue from how it is handled on the spot.
I’m somewhat surprised by some of the comments here. I booked via Expedia last year, BA cancelled a flight, all my communication was with BA - they rebooked me, I specified another route - Expedia weren’t even involved. I could have, but BA didn’t refer me back to Expedia at any point. In fact despite booking with Expedia, the red message in my BA MMB account it asked to call BA to rebook.

If you want to instigate changes yourself, that is another matter, you can only cancel, rebook, upgrade via Expedia.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The big issue with Expedia (or any other OTA) is service recovery when an irregularity occurs. Buck-passing may ensue; the airline call tell you to go deal with the agency that sold you the ticket, and the agency -- if you can get hold of them -- may do everything possible to squirm out of helping you, and tell you to deal with the airline. Not the quandary you want to be in when you're at the airport and the clock is ticking. (Expedia is probably the best of the lot -- God protect me from Priceline/Hotwire ever again -- but even Expedia is not exactly known for being responsive / supportive in crisis situations.) I do book OTA tickets occasionally when certain weird multi-airline itineraries are irresistible, but always with a sinking feeling in my stomach that is absent when I deal directly with the airlines.
AceCobra1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.