Slackness at DXB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
deleted my post - misread prior
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mrandery
Meanwhile, at T5 North last week, a tube of toothpaste, about 3/4 already squeezed out, but 125ml capacity - taken to one side to be told they were conficating it.
UK CAA regulations state "liquids in containers larger than 100ml generally cannot go through security even if the container is only part full. There are some exceptions...

- for essential medical purposes
- for special dietary requirements
- contain baby food or baby milk"

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions

As your toothpaste was in a 125ml receptacle, I am baffled as to why you are surprised it was confiscated.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
I've had Zippo confiscated at SXF while plastic lighters went through without issues; lost block of parmesan in MXP because apparently it's a liquid; pax being shouted at in STN to take liquids out of plastic bags and lay loose on the tray; put a bag of paper tissues in the tray because nothing can be in the packets when going through scanner in LHR... Nothing consistent.
But it is up to each contracting state to the Chicago Convention to develop and legislate a list of prohibited items.

IATA does provide a list of certain dangerous goods that its member airlines won't transport but these are items that pose a risk to flight safety rather than flight security.

ICAO provides some guidance to states on what should be on the prohibited items list but it is up to states to make the final decision.

You list airports in UK, Germany and Italy. As these are in separate states, it is not surprising they have different rules.

I do think it would be good if the regulations were more harmonious though.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cargueiro
As your toothpaste was in a 125ml receptacle, I am baffled as to why you are surprised it was confiscated.
Not surprised.

It's just ridiculous, that's all.

And on the way from MUC to LHR, a day earlier the same tube was in a ziploc bag and they didn't care.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think I posted this once before...I found a live shotgun shell in my Barbour jacket pocket when I got home from a weekend of shooting in Scotland.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
I think the summary of this thread is that airports globally are consistently inconsistent in the application of protocols due to differing technology, TSA pre in the US, security officers personal interpretations of the rules etc, with the exception of MAN which is consistently a dreadful experience.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
the 100ml rue is still in place at AMS even with the new CT scanners.

WhenI went through a couple of weeks ago the guy in front had his bag sent for secondary and when the bag was opened the security agent removed the over the limit bottle of water and tossed it in the bin
That is not my experience, and I go to AMS twice monthly at least. They allow my water bottle with water in it, which is the case most times I have been there since they got their new scanners. I have asked what liquids I could bring and was told anything and "you could bring a bottle of wine if you like". I have discussed the new scanners and bringing liquids through them with the staff on several occasions and have received consistent information that liquids are now allowed as they can be scanned and tested. This is using the security at Departures 3, above the BA checkin desk. Sometimes I get a secondary inspection of my liquid, but I have not had it taken off me.

I would be querying any seizure at AMS of liquids just for being liquid.

Obviously liquids that are hazardous under aviation rules are not allowed.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by cargueiro
UK CAA regulations state "liquids in containers larger than 100ml generally cannot go through security even if the container is only part full. There are some exceptions...

- for essential medical purposes
- for special dietary requirements
- contain baby food or baby milk"

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions

A toothpaste tube contracts around the contents, so while the container may have been larger than 100ml when full, it probably was not when presented as hand luggage...
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mgiarc
A toothpaste tube contracts around the contents, so while the container may have been larger than 100ml when full, it probably was not when presented as hand luggage...
The container is treated as being of the size that's marked on it, even if it behaves like a toothpaste tube.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The container is treated as being of the size that's marked on it, even if it behaves like a toothpaste tube.
I know this security stuff is wildly inconsistent and slightly nonsensical but just to play devil’s advocate then.... does that mean a much larger (say 1 litre) container marked as 99ml would be OK? And if not 1l (because obviously that would be daft) then how about 500ml, 200ml, 110 ml, etc...

and is there any standardised and controlled way of marking containers to make sure they are correct and prevent such abuse?

just having fun...
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
This thread raises some very important questions. The biggest one for me has to be -
"Why did the OP pour only one glass of wine and then leave?"
Well, here's the answer.

I was just passing the BA lounge on my way from the International Hotel First Class lounge, my preferred lounge at DXB (because of the food, champagne and general ambience) to the boarding gate (I was flying UL). I thought I'd just see if it was open and maybe have a quick drink. As it happened, the door was open, but the lounge appeared to be completely deserted, no staff, no pax. Anyway, as the drinks were available, I thought I'd just pour myself a quick glass to help me on my way.

Well, why not?
adrianlondon likes this.

Last edited by Grace B; Sep 25, 2019 at 7:22 pm Reason: typos
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
... and is there any standardised and controlled way of marking containers to make sure they are correct and prevent such abuse?
I'm sure that there will be someone somewhere trying to game the system like this, but most commercial products are subject to other enforceable legal constraints on how inaccurate the volume marking can be.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
AS a postscript, I noticed after I had left DXB that the back of my passport now had a sticker saying "Smart Gate DXB Registered". I don't recall anyone putting this sticker on or mentioning it, but perhaps it was that glass of wine in the BA lounge that caused temporary amnesia...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:04 pm

DXB immigration now seem to register pax automatically, even if you do not request it.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The stickers must be relatively new as they weren’t actively doing it when I was there last week and when I asked about registering the agent said only at arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.