Slackness at DXB

Old Sep 24, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold
Slackness at DXB

I just walked into the BA lounge and there was absolutely no one there. Poured myself a glass of wine, enjoyed it and walked out. Didn't see a soul.

Prior to that, went though security no problems. Then realised I had a bottle of water in my carry on. One wonders...
allleisure likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: QF WP
Not quite DXB but the security part is interesting to me as when I was flying out of JNB they didnít bother about liquids in carry on. Got on BA to Heathrow, liquids in carry on and no interest whatsoever, figured it was just a JNB thing. Then when it came time to go home, back through security, liquids, no one cared. But for the flight to SYD there was an extra check at the gate for no liquids

so in conclusion, could something similar be going on here? Or is inbound to the UK security slackening off in some ports?
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Arrived up in Edinburgh last weekend, and realised I had a small bottle of aftershave in my hand luggage.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Cotumely View Post
Arrived up in Edinburgh last weekend, and realised I had a small bottle of aftershave in my hand luggage.
This was flying from T5.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The check for liquids to Australia is because the Australian government decided they didn't want any liquids into the cabin on flights to Oz - pointless security theatre.

Meanwhile, airports with sufficiently advanced scanners (or, possibly sufficiently slack security theatre) permit any (harmless) liquids through security and on board. Unless, I suppose, you're going to Australia.

In any case, if you manage to get something through security against the rules it's not a problem unless you can do it (reasonably) predictably. For a security risk you need to have a malefactor able to bring a malicious object through a checkpoint. So if the checkpoint is 99.999% reliable and there are 0.0001% malefactors among passengers, you've got to coincide the malefactor with the checkpoint failure and that's a 0.0000001% chance.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Was picked up in HND yesterday for having a Swiss Army Knife in my bag. It came through LHR, WAW and HEL (although i doont quite remember if there was a bag scan at HEL...)
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:12 am

LHR and HND apply different criteria to small pointy things. LHR is more realistic, HND is persnickety. For that matter, HKG (and PEK, and I assume all mainland Chinese airports) are entirely unreasonable.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:52 am

Data point: I flew LHR-CDG-JNB last year. I had accidentally left a boxcutter in my hand luggage (foolish). LHR didn't pick it up, CDG did.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
This thread raises some very important questions. The biggest one for me has to be -
"Why did the OP pour only one glass of wine and then leave?"
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer View Post
This thread raises some very important questions. The biggest one for me has to be -
"Why did the OP pour only one glass of wine and then leave?"
Group 1 boarding was called?
alvinlwh, tynmar, DelTroon and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: KA "The Elite"
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch View Post
Was picked up in HND yesterday for having a Swiss Army Knife in my bag. It came through LHR, WAW and HEL (although i doont quite remember if there was a bag scan at HEL...)
You were very lucky!!!
See what happened to a 74 year old that was "caught" with a Swiss Army knife in Japan....
Debito.org reader Brian reports on Shinjuku Police 9-day incarceration of 74-year-old tourist for pocket knife (UPDATED) | debito.org
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:09 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
My wife brought a small pair of scissors in hand luggage around most major European and Asian airports for years, until it was confiscated at ADL domestic security (but had previously made it through SYD international).

I have inadvertently brought liquids, usually a small drink carton I have forgotten about, through many European airports too.

I have also brought water bottles onto flights to Australia, the staff at HKG and BKK never look thoroughly enough to find the hidden compartment at the bottom of my bag. Not flown via SIN since this rule came in.
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I blame Alice for all this slackness
thatsthebadger and Knickam like this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
I have taken scissors through security at Calgary without realising it. It was only when I found them in the hand luggage 2 days later that I even realised
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Spire
Hopefully they were all busy re-organising the hot food warmers. I gave myself a nasty burn in that particular lounge last week extracting a sausage from the pan.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: