Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
For Thomas Cook customers on those routes where BA is the service provider, the telephone number has now been agreed:

0800 727 800 from the UK or (+44) 203 250 0145 from overseas.

The regulars here will know this already, but there may be a long wait to be answered, and you may need to redial. To avoid huge phone bills, it is best use Skype running under wifi to make contact. Skype can be installed as a an App on most smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktop PCs.
Print Wikipost

BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
BA taking a bit of a beating from ex-Thomas Cook staff genuinely stranded in Las Vegas. Apparently refusing them standby travel as 'they are no longer airline staff' despite availability yesterday. And the hotels are kicking them out today due non payment.

It's odd (but repeatedly happens) that CAA won't also repatriate staff stuck down route.

Sorry I can't provide source is an industry closed group. I do hope it's a misunderstanding though. Surely BA wouldn't be that callous?
A now former Thomas Cook pilot was on BBC Breakfast this morning and said that a large UK airline he didn't name had tried to charge the stranded TC crew in Vegas £10,000 to get home. He then went on to say that Virgin had been fantastic and were putting them in their crew hotel until they could get them home. Say what you like about Virgin, but they know how to generate good PR. BA on the other hand...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
BA taking a bit of a beating from ex-Thomas Cook staff genuinely stranded in Las Vegas. Apparently refusing them standby travel as 'they are no longer airline staff' despite availability yesterday. And the hotels are kicking them out today due non payment.

It's odd (but repeatedly happens) that CAA won't also repatriate staff stuck down route.

Sorry I can't provide source is an industry closed group. I do hope it's a misunderstanding though. Surely BA wouldn't be that callous?
I've seen a fb message from a friend of a friend stranded in vegas, being chucked out of their hotel with ba allegedly looking to charge 10000 for the last 3 seats from Vegas. Glad to see virgin might be helping them out instead.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:05 am

I think this is the crew that operated out before the bankruptcy. They were in the crew hotel to operate the return. Now the hotel is kicking them out and they are having difficulty getting home.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by firstlight
I've seen a fb message from a friend of a friend stranded in vegas, being chucked out of their hotel with ba allegedly looking to charge 10000 for the last 3 seats from Vegas. Glad to see virgin might be helping them out instead.
Yeh - it's on here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-49770817

If you watch the video at 08:17 "Thomas Cook crew may face high prices to get home" then basically confirms it. Arses.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by cosmo74
A now former Thomas Cook pilot was on BBC Breakfast this morning and said that a large UK airline he didn't name had tried to charge the stranded TC crew in Vegas £10,000 to get home. He then went on to say that Virgin had been fantastic and were putting them in their crew hotel until they could get them home. Say what you like about Virgin, but they know how to generate good PR. BA on the other hand...
I heard from somebody that some routes where there was space on normal carriers it went quite quickly when TC pulled down the shutters. I have had to explain about different ticket selling classes to someone who was incensed this morning.

If the seats aren't in the system (GDS) then they can't be booked by anyone. Normally to protect space on planes in situations where mass repatriation is required they put the prices in the system for remaining seats up dramatically to say £10k. This dissuades the public from booking the seats and protects the inventory for those who actually need it and will be booked by the CAA on regular flights.Those people who just look at the prices and assume it's price gouging are often wide of the mark. JAXBA can explain it better than me.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I heard from somebody that some routes where there was space on normal carriers it went quite quickly when TC pulled down the shutters. I have had to explain about different ticket selling classes to someone who was incensed this morning.

If the seats aren't in the system (GDS) then they can't be booked by anyone. Normally to protect space on planes in situations where mass repatriation is required they put the prices in the system for remaining seats up dramatically to say £10k. This dissuades the public from booking the seats and protects the inventory for those who actually need it and will be booked by the CAA on regular flights.Those people who just look at the prices and assume it's price gouging are often wide of the mark. JAXBA can explain it better than me.
I get all that, but in this case it seems TC crew were being quoted £10,000 after they approached BA directly. This is from an Simon Calder article in the Independent: "Ms McQuillan reported that the cabin crew stranded in Las Vegas had approached British Airways to fly out on Monday on a scheduled service to London. She said the airline had three empty business-class seats for which they were quoted a one-way fare of £10,000. The cabin crew reportedly asked to be able to occupy jump-seats on the London-bound Boeing, but were told that as they were technically no longer cabin crew trusty would not be allowed to do so. “Absolutely fuming,” she wrote." https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9118086.html

I'm sure there were all sorts of reasons behind this, but it wasn't handled well by BA, and they're getting bad PR as a result - there are lots of journalists trying to contact the crew member in question through her twitter feed and plenty of people slating BA in replies to her initial tweet.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I get all that, but in this case it seems TC crew were being quoted £10,000 after they approached BA directly. This is from an Simon Calder article in the Independent: "Ms McQuillan reported that the cabin crew stranded in Las Vegas had approached British Airways to fly out on Monday on a scheduled service to London. She said the airline had three empty business-class seats for which they were quoted a one-way fare of £10,000. The cabin crew reportedly asked to be able to occupy jump-seats on the London-bound Boeing, but were told that as they were technically no longer cabin crew trusty would not be allowed to do so. “Absolutely fuming,” she wrote." https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9118086.html

I'm sure there were all sorts of reasons behind this, but it wasn't handled well by BA, and they're getting bad PR as a result - there are lots of journalists trying to contact the crew member in question through her twitter feed and plenty of people slating BA in replies to her initial tweet.
It's no surprise to me that the BA press team are useless.
Crampedin13A and DelTroon like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
It's no surprise to me that the BA press team are useless.
They don’t have much positive material to work from, TBH. Just ‘disaster recovery’, which they also don’t do very well!
Crampedin13A and binman like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

This story also on the BBC web site who interviewed a Captain on when he was told he lost his job. BA just do not know how to behave anymore and have lost all grasp of rational thought. surely given the publicity around this happening over the weekend they someone in BA could have made the decision to repartriate crew and customers for free if seats were empty. The positive publicity would have outstripped the nominal costs of doing so. BA just don't give a flying ......
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by T8191
They don’t have much positive material to work from, TBH. Just ‘disaster recovery’, which they also don’t do very well!
Many of the experienced BA Press/PR team have left over the last two years or so - much the same as the senior folk in other roles. A few years back this would have been nipped in the bud straight away. Depressing. Assuming the reports from LAS are true - where is the common humanity and common sense? They were cabin crew yesterday, let them ride on the jump seats for goodness sake and stop hiding behind "rules". Think about how you would like to be treated yourselves in the same circumstances.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by T8191
And here’s how VS handled it. Pity BA didn’t use the PR opportunity as well:

Clearly LAS doesn’t have many BA flights but you’d have thought they could’ve routed the crew on AA to JFK or EWR...
BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What's not coming out in the LAS reports is that BA are now overbooked on almost all services for the next week or so. If crew were trying to get back on a service which is currently D3 W0 Y1 (LHR service) then regardless it's not going to be likely they will get on board, ditto BA's own staff on staff travel. The LGW service is also overbooked in all cabins, if I'm not much mistaken, it is zero'd out.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What's not coming out in the LAS reports is that BA are now overbooked on almost all services for the next week or so. If crew were trying to get back on a service which is currently D3 W0 Y1 (LHR service) then regardless it's not going to be likely they will get on board, ditto BA's own staff on staff travel. The LGW service is also overbooked in all cabins, if I'm not much mistaken, it is zero'd out.
Yes, of course that’s important to take into account. But when you say “all services” do you mean nonstops from LAS or all routes departing the USA? With the JBV isn’t it just as possible for BA to route Thomas Cook passengers and ex-crew on AA+BA connections?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think almost all of them are now sorted. A large group went LAS-ATL-LHR/MAN with DL/VS. DL/VS have been particularly helpful. with other routings.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Yes, the flight may have been overbooked and BA was willing to accept a GBP10,000 passenger and then deny boarding to someone on a cheaper ticket. There is no way to explain to the general public why a last minute ticket can cost GBP10,000 without looking bad; of course, people will think that airlines are trying to profit from others' misfortune.

Originally Posted by salut0
Clearly LAS doesn’t have many BA flights but you’d have thought they could’ve routed the crew on AA to JFK or EWR...
How do you see that work? BA just telling AA to accept passengers for free? Should not it be AA to help those stranded in LAS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.