FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1988378-ba-involved-repatriation-thomas-cook-customers.html)

salut0 Sep 22, 2019 4:25 pm

BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers

https://www.theguardian.com/business...avoid-collapse

It is understood that the official administration will take place at about 3am on Monday, when the largest number of the 94-strong fleet of planes are on the ground.

It is understood that airlines including British Airways and easyJet will be involved in the airlift for holidaymakers using Thomas Cook, whose destinations range from mainland Europe to north Africa, the Middle East, the US and the Caribbean...
Usually I thought this means that travelers get sent on chartered flights from other companies. But would BA provide space on their scheduled flights instead or as well?

aidy Sep 22, 2019 4:33 pm

As well, it’ll be a mix of charters and available seats e.g JFK will most likely be BA

icegirl Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

The UK govt will only help (fund) stranded passengers who booked through Thomas Cook get home as it falls within ATOL.

https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protection/

If BA has the availability and gets paid for doing it then why not.

MarkFlies Sep 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Wow!

Originally Posted by The Guardian
Holiday companies do not normally pay hotels until up to 90 days after guests have left.

rossmacd Sep 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarkFlies (Post 31552288)
Wow!

I’m not sure if you are involved in B2B relationships, but nowadays 90 days payment terms is viewed as poor in some industries - several companies I work with are 120 days minimum, with some edging towards 180 days. Working capital (cash) is king.

Often1 Sep 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 31552078)
The UK govt will only help (fund) stranded passengers who booked through Thomas Cook get home as it falls within ATOL.

https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protection/

If BA has the availability and gets paid for doing it then why not.

When Monarch went bust, HMG effectively created a temporary carrier and repatriated those customers, ATOL aside.

GeezerCouple Sep 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Is there more on this (the Cook disruption) elsewhere on FT?

I've been wondering why there wasn't quite a bit already "here", given what is in the news (in the USA).

We read one disturbing report about a hotel that was concerned about not getting paid "later", but that may have been, er, fear-mongering ("they" temporarily locked guests in and demanded payment !?). Haven't found anything official about it.

This is where the *type* of travel insurance can matter a lot, at least for USA-based travelers.

GC

Often1 Sep 22, 2019 6:51 pm

The value of good travel insurance is that it will handle the excess costs now and then fight with ATOL, credit card issuers (banks), and the like later. Same thing for hotels. Whatever the facts, it is nice to be able to simply provide a card to the property knowing that one will be covered.

navylad Sep 22, 2019 7:09 pm

So they have officially ceased trading (earlier than predicted uk thread) and airports have impounded some of the planes due to unpaid fees.

Thoughts very much with the staff and those affected

HIDDY Sep 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Ceased trading according to breaking news. I'm sure BA as well as many other airline companies will pull together to get holidaymakers home.

MSPeconomist Sep 22, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple (Post 31552348)
Is there more on this (the Cook disruption) elsewhere on FT?

I've been wondering why there wasn't quite a bit already "here", given what is in the news (in the USA).

We read one disturbing report about a hotel that was concerned about not getting paid "later", but that may have been, er, fear-mongering ("they" temporarily locked guests in and demanded payment !?). Haven't found anything official about it.

This is where the *type* of travel insurance can matter a lot, at least for USA-based travelers.

GC

It would truly be scary to be stranded in a foreign country and locked in at one's hotel. What if there were a fire or other emergency? IMO the hotel should be criminally prosecuted for such a decision and permanently blacklisted on various travel booking channels.

kileysmom Sep 22, 2019 7:50 pm

And yet Condor are running a banner on their website right now that says they are still operational and it appears they are taking bookings......

GeezerCouple Sep 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom (Post 31552536)
And yet Condor are running a banner on their website right now that says they are still operational and it appears they are taking bookings......

Is Condor associated with Cook?
(Or is this a silly/naive question?)

GC

MSPeconomist Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Condor is a LCC that interlines etc. with some other carriers such as AS and IIRC LH. it apparently began life as a charter operator, doing a lot of once a week flights from various major airports in Germany to some Southern European vacation destinations, including Greek islands.

Thomas Cook is a UK tour operator that sells packages and stand alone flights, operating its own (charter or scheduled?) airline, IIRC with 94 aircraft. It's main business would be taking Brits to Southern European vacation spots, but it has some worldwide presence.

kileysmom Sep 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Wasn't Condor owned at one time by Lufthansa and then Thomas Cook took a majority share or actually bought them fully? They show on their website and have for some years that they are part of the Thomas Cook Gp or something to that effect.