Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward Flight Saver - higher fees when connecting in LCY vs LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I'm looking at booking DUB-MUC with the option of connecting in either LHR or LCY. Since both options are RFS, I was expecting to pay 8k Avios + the same "taxes"/fees on both routes, but the LCY option is coming out at ~$55 vs. LHR at ~$35.

Any idea why they would price differently?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What is the breakdown of the taes/fees/charges in both cases?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
What is the breakdown of the taes/fees/charges in both cases?
When going via LCY, the full cash amount is attributed to "price per person" ($55) with no taxes/fees/charges. When going via LHR, the "price per person" is zero and the full $ amount is attributed to taxes/fees/charges:

Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom USD 22.87
Passenger Charge - Ireland USD 14.24

I was expecting both to be the same since they’re RFS, or for the difference to be airport specific charges but the difference is a little odd. Only $20 so nit a big deal, but it got me curious.

Last edited by absoluy; Sep 15, 2019 at 12:12 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by absoluy
When going via LCY, the full cash amount is attributed to "price per person" ($55) with no taxes/fees/charges. When going via LHR, the "price per person" is zero and the full $ amount is attributed to taxes/fees/charges:

Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom USD 22.87
Passenger Charge - Ireland USD 14.24

I was expecting both to be the same since they’re RFS, or for the difference to be airport specific charges but the difference is a little odd.
If you're getting a quote where the cash element matches the TFC on a cash ticket, the first question to ask is whether you qualify for RFS pricing? Even if it's an RFS route, you will be charged the full TFC if you don't actually qualify for RFS pricing.

And as far as I know, the RFS cash element is usually a whole number of currency units (GBP or USD). So if you're getting "~$35" = $37.11, then that doesn't look like RFS pricing.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you're getting a quote where the cash element matches the TFC on a cash ticket, the first question to ask is whether you qualify for RFS pricing? Even if it's an RFS route, you will be charged the full TFC if you don't actually qualify for RFS pricing.

And as far as I know, the RFS cash element is usually a whole number of currency units (GBP or USD). So if you're getting "~$35" = $37.11, then that doesn't look like RFS pricing.
Thanks - I do qualify for RFS (and have used it within the past week for other routes) plus the flights have the little RFS icon in the flight selection screen too.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by absoluy
Thanks - I do qualify for RFS (and have used it within the past week for other routes) plus the flights have the little RFS icon in the flight selection screen too.
So when you say "~$55" and "~$35", what are the actual numbers? And can you get conventional RFS pricing if you get a quote for a single-sector short-haul booking on an RFS route?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This is what I see in Y connecting via LCY

And on the same day connecting via LHR

When selecting any of the pricing options the cash amount appears in the "Price per person" field and the TFC field remains at zero - same for both LHR and LCY connection options.
armouredant and wilsnunn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.