Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buying up to a higher fare class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

buying up to a higher fare class

My employer purchased a "basic economy" fare for an upcoming US - EU trip. Is there a standard practice for purchasing a higher fare class? I would like to upgrade at least to standard economy but probably to WT. Do they wave any change fees and just charge the fare difference? I tried to call but got the "high call volume" call back later. I just waited to see what the options were before waiting on hold.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Assuming this was booked through your employers travel agent, they will own the booking until it goes to airport control. You can speak to your travel agency and see what is possible including the cost or any change fee.

You may also be able to pay for additional things if it is luggage that you are after.

Once at the airport , you may be able to upgrade to WT+ (but not fare bucket within WT). See the AUP thread.

Obviously it is all dependent on fare availability.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chris8796
My employer purchased a "basic economy" fare for an upcoming US - EU trip. Is there a standard practice for purchasing a higher fare class? I would like to upgrade at least to standard economy but probably to WT. Do they wave any change fees and just charge the fare difference?
The difference between basic economy and standard economy is not a difference in booking class. Many economy booking classes can be booked either using an economy fare or a standard fare. This is different from the approach taken by many other airlines to their basic fares.

WT = World Traveller = economy. Are you thinking of WT+ = World Traveller Plus = premium economy?

Either way, I suspect that you are likely to have to pay the change fee in addition to the fare difference. Have you looked at AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced to see whether there's any reported experience about this?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Would upgrade using Avios be an option while booking is TA owned?

appreciate it will depend on OP’s motives, comfort or TPs...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Would upgrade using Avios be an option while booking is TA owned?

appreciate it will depend on OP’s motives, comfort or TPs...
Yes a UuA from WT to WTP could be possible if the OP is not in selling classes Q/O/G. The OP would have to call BA directly to process this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.