Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Connection Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I took this flight last month with a 2h 45m connection (on a single ticket) to New Orleans. Arrived a full hour late. Upon disembarking, there were a raft of envelopes stuck to the wall, sorted by onward destination. There was an orange 'express connection' wallet waiting for me. All very well organised.

There is a specific express connection line at immigration, although that took about 30mins for me to get through as well. By the time I exited Terminal 5 I had about 70 minutes to my next flight. There was a long queue for the buses, and I felt like I couldn't risk chancing it. So I ordered a Lyft - there was a lot of traffic so got to Terminal 3 with 45 minutes to spare. My bright orange wallet helped me there as well and I was able to jump the entire security queue. Even had 15 minutes in the ORD flagship lounge which was an unexpected treat after such a stressful transit experience!

I don't think I would have made it through in time without the orange wallet. So kudos to AA for handling this well. That said, the current situation at ORD is abysmal and I really don't see how they think it is acceptable to shut the people mover down for an entire year.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I was in a similar situation recently and decided to book saver award ticket for the domestic leg. Acroding to AA website, SDC can be done on the saver award tickets regardless of status. Not all agent understand the rules. So have the page printed in case. I have since reached out to AA. they confirmed that the website is correct.

We originally had 6 hours for connection in case of delay. Our internationsl (QR) flight arrived early. We had to SB (I am plt) for an earlier flight instead of SDC because the agent did not understand the rules. We were able to get on an earlier flight and got home early.

Never successfully SDC, so this is all theoretical to me.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There is a similar and long thread with someone in your exact situation, who did not make it, search for it. I would say you have 60-70% chance you will make it.
See if you can convince BA to check your bags to final destination (still have to pick them up in T5). There will definitely be no orange fast track envelopes for you on separate tickets, or hotel vouchers, if you misconnect.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psgkdm
Flew on BA297 a few weeks ago with a 2-hour connection onward to Minneapolis. The flight departed LHR 60 mins late due to delay towing plane to stand from maintenance hangar.

On arrival at ORD there was an envelope pinned to a board with boarding passes for alternative flight to MSP the next morning, hotel voucher for the Marriott and meal vouchers for the hotel. All very well arranged.

I have submitted an EU261 claim for delayed arrival into MSP, but yet to hear from BA on that front.

Upshot of the story, the right time performance of that flight seems ridiculously bad. I remember checking in the days before our flight to discover there would've been very few days that we would actually have made the onward connection to MSP!
One hour late to depart, they usually make up most of it in the air. How did you file for 261, was your plane at least 3 hours late to arrive?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Did the exact same thing last week on BA 297 and a separate AA award ticket. We were through immigration and had our bags within 45 minutes. You can recheck your bags with AA as soon as you have walked through customs, so no need to cart them from one terminal to another. You do have to take a bus from T5 to T3 right now but the buses were right outside the terminal door, and there was no line or wait. I think you will be fine unless there is a major delay in the BA 297. If there is and you miss the flight, talk to the AA agents about the One World Protection policy, a lot of them have no idea that is even exists but if you ask them to contact the One World assistance desk that will help. It have saved my bacon twice now.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nk15
One hour late to depart, they usually make up most of it in the air. How did you file for 261, was your plane at least 3 hours late to arrive?
He/she arrived to the destination of MSP the following day.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
He/she arrived to the destination of MSP the following day.
Good point, I missed it.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by Furby
Did the exact same thing last week on BA 297 and a separate AA award ticket. We were through immigration and had our bags within 45 minutes. You can recheck your bags with AA as soon as you have walked through customs, so no need to cart them from one terminal to another. You do have to take a bus from T5 to T3 right now but the buses were right outside the terminal door, and there was no line or wait. I think you will be fine unless there is a major delay in the BA 297. If there is and you miss the flight, talk to the AA agents about the One World Protection policy, a lot of them have no idea that is even exists but if you ask them to contact the One World assistance desk that will help. It have saved my bacon twice now.
thank you for this (and the rest of the replies) - would i be mistaken in thinking that basic economy would afford me the same service from the AA / OW staff as a main cabin ticket (there is a material difference in price)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.