ORD Connection Advice

Old Sep 11, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
ORD Connection Advice

Flying into ORD on BA297 which is scheduled to land at 18.45. I am looking at a departing domestic flight (with AA but on a separate booking) scheduled to depart at 22.00. Ordinarily I would be comfortable with a 3 hour stopover time, however given it's the US (and last flight out of ORD to that destination) I would need to clear immigration, collect baggage, change terminals etc, what are peoples thoughts? I am on a returning ESTA which should speed up immigration however i will have 2 items of checked luggage

Finally, when i collect baggage in Terminal 5, can i use the baggage desk just through customs to deposit bags for the domestic AA flight (similar to when you connect in ORD), or because its a different booking do i have to go departures in Terminal 3?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Not to worry you, but it took us 3 hrs in immigration queue to enter ORD back in july....
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is plenty of time unless it is not.

Purely a matter of risk tolerance dependent on how late your inbound BA is.

In theory, AA will rebook you, even on a separate ticket. But, there are multiple reports of it not doing so in many situations, Thus, all your risk. Hotel and meals would, of course, be your risk too.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: Warrant Card, BA Blue, PFOA
A look at this flights on time performance is not good reading from flightstats
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Also bear in mind that the ATS (the inter terminal landside train) at ORD isn't running again until the Winter US Holiday season:

https://www.flychicago.com/business/...px?newsid=1572

I have been through Chicago twice this year. Once I walked more or less straight onto one of the shuttle bus replacements from T5, the other time I had to wait over an hour as the queues were horrendous.

BM
peter.r.erskine likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Three are excellent threads on the AA board about connecting between T5 and T3 as well as the latest on the AA policy on protecting on separate tickets.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Interestingly we have the same journey planned ( finishing in LAS ) shortly but we are on a single BA booking. I have GE but husband doesn't; however we are only travelling with hand luggage.

But I'm also hoping 3 hours is enough!

The transfer guide is here;
https://www.flychicago.com/SiteColle...nsferGuide.pdf

I understand you can drop your bags just after CBP in Terminal 5 if travelling onward with AA, so you don't have to carry them to T3. However the transit system isn't working so you get bussed there instead. You then go through security again, so a bit of extra time needs allowing for there too.
sudge27 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by sudge27 View Post
Flying into ORD on BA297 which is scheduled to land at 18.45. I am looking at a departing domestic flight (with AA but on a separate booking) scheduled to depart at 22.00. Ordinarily I would be comfortable with a 3 hour stopover time, however given it's the US (and last flight out of ORD to that destination) I would need to clear immigration, collect baggage, change terminals etc, what are peoples thoughts? I am on a returning ESTA which should speed up immigration however i will have 2 items of checked luggage

Finally, when i collect baggage in Terminal 5, can i use the baggage desk just through customs to deposit bags for the domestic AA flight (similar to when you connect in ORD), or because its a different booking do i have to go departures in Terminal 3?

Thanks in advance
I did a 2hr15 connection BA to AA at Ord couple of months back with one checked bag. I had a few minutes spare but not a massive amount, maybe 15 to 20. That said we landed on time and I have Global Entry. I was also on a single ticket so collect bag, clear immigration, dump bag scenario.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Being overly cautious by nature when I have 2 separate tickets when international to domestic in the USA, I give myself a minimum of 4 hours. I just don't trust immigration and customs to get me through quickly never mind flight delays. The only time I would be more comfortable with shorter connections is when I have done pre-clearance prior to entering the USA (e.g. Dublin or Shannon). Landing as a domestic passenger is nice.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.4MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
One thing in your favor is an 1845 arrival is well past the afternoon peak arrival rush hours.It should be fairly quiet at that hour. A LH 748 lands about a half an hour after you.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
We were 20 minutes going through customs and collecting our baggage from that flight on Friday
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sudge27 View Post
Not all recheck stations can issue baggage tags. Since BA won't tag your luggage to your final destination plan on having to re-check the bag with AA at T3.

AA seems to have modified its policy on disrupted connections from/to OW flights and tickets must now be issued in the same PNR (however, it's not a public policy anyway so should not be relied upon 100%). That being said, the reports of being unsuccessful in having AA rebook OW flight following a delayed/cancelled AA flights concern tickets issued by other OW airlines; since you'll be on an AA issued ticket from ORD you may have much more luck to get rebooked if the BA flight is delayed (of course only when a seat becomes available).
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Three are excellent threads on the AA board about connecting between T5 and T3 as well as the latest on the AA policy on protecting on separate tickets.
Yes we do have an extensive thread on this over in the AA forum here:
AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

I've done the transfer on separate bookings, and the AA transfer desk at T5 checked my bag for me, even offered me an earlier flight. I guess it depends on how much time before your flight if you want to do that or take your bags over to T3 with you.

As noted, you'll need to take a bus between terminals. Depending on how busy the airport is, this could be an easy process or more complicated.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:44 am

Flew on BA297 a few weeks ago with a 2-hour connection onward to Minneapolis. The flight departed LHR 60 mins late due to delay towing plane to stand from maintenance hangar.

On arrival at ORD there was an envelope pinned to a board with boarding passes for alternative flight to MSP the next morning, hotel voucher for the Marriott and meal vouchers for the hotel. All very well arranged.

I have submitted an EU261 claim for delayed arrival into MSP, but yet to hear from BA on that front.

Upshot of the story, the right time performance of that flight seems ridiculously bad. I remember checking in the days before our flight to discover there would've been very few days that we would actually have made the onward connection to MSP!
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
The automated people-mover that connects T5 to the rest of the airport was supposed to have returned to service months ago. It is a hostage in a contractor delay / finger-pointing drama. I'm sorry for the state of ORD right now; it makes BA--> AA landside transfers extremely tedious.

Search this Thread