Search

Can you rely on a delay?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL
Can you rely on a delay?

I’m travelling on BA263 to Riyadh today and have received this email from BA

”We wanted to let you know that your flight to King Khalid International on 08 September 2019 is currently delayed. Your flight will now depart at 15:45 local time 8th September. Airport check-in will close at 14:45.

We are so sorry for the delay to this service, and any inconvenience caused. Please continue to check ba.com/travel/flightstatus for the most up to date information on your flight.”

Dies this mean I am safe going to the airport 2 hours later than I had originally planned or might BA change its mind again?

Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If you have been advised of the delayed check-in closing time, then you are safe to turn up at the check-in desk before the time you have been advised (i.e. 14:45), although I'd built some 'common sense' fat around it in case of transport delays or a long queue.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 8, 2019 at 2:07 am
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by hkgerry
I’m travelling on BA263 to Riyadh today and have received this email from BA

”We wanted to let you know that your flight to King Khalid International on 08 September 2019 is currently delayed. Your flight will now depart at 15:45 local time 8th September. Airport check-in will close at 14:45.

We are so sorry for the delay to this service, and any inconvenience caused. Please continue to check ba.com/travel/flightstatus for the most up to date information on your flight.”

Dies this mean I am safe going to the airport 2 hours later than I had originally planned or might BA change its mind again?

As long as you're checked in by the time advised you'll be fine. I'd keep the message from BA as 'proof' just incase of any issue.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by hkgerry
These messages only go out if the crews have been 'held' (i.e. told to come in later), so it's safe to assume the new departure time is fixed at this point.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You’ll be able to monitor outbound aircraft to double check it is indeed late as they say
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You’ll be able to monitor outbound aircraft to double check it is indeed late as they say

The OP is due to fly on the outbound aircraft
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Ooooops! Ignore my waffle
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Experience makes me skeptical of taking these delay notifications at face value, though my formative experiences in this context were non-BA. Not once, but twice, on United I received delay notifications via text or email, showed up at the airport commensurately late, and found the problem had been quietly fixed, they had boarded whomever was around, and just left. I never had a message to report status change. Since then I turn up when I was planning to, whatever the carrier, delay notice or none.
RooseveltL and Duck1981 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.