Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it time for BA to crack down on use of speakers in lounges and on planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time for BA to crack down on use of speakers in lounges and on planes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Jal have the best policy, no noise whatsoever even quiet phone calls disallowed.
And to my positive surprise I saw this well enforced on loud Americans in NRT and HND lounges consistently!
I had to insist on the agents not permitting someone to watch a loud video in a HND lounge, not JAL. It was a teen traveling with a parent.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lounge is simple - placard notification at the welcome desk stating use of speakers or speakerphones will result in immediate expulsion from the lounge. Can be reinforced by the dragons/angels as they're checking folks in, asking them to verbally agree to the condition.
Then enforce it consistently. Little kid or big VIP - use the speakers, you're back in the terminal where no one cares.
Onboard - have inexpensive earpods available for any transgressors and the use of them is mandatory unless the passengers have their own. Non-compliance results in the order to shut down the device for the remainder of the flight. Further refusal to be dealt with as any ignored order of the CC is dealt with.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:29 pm

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Had this happen twice. Once on a flight from YYZ-LAX and was sat in front of Desperate Housewives star (don’t remember her name but found out later from flight attendant who she was) and she was FaceTiming someone, so I turned around and asked her to take her call off speaker, she gave me a look and kept on talking so I whipped out my phone and said I’d live stream her “private” conversation. She hung up the call and huffed for a while. Second time was a child whose parents said they couldn’t make them wear headphones as they were too big for the child’s head. I told the parents I’d start playing 2 Live Crew on my speaker then as well. They said “go right ahead”. They clearly didn’t know who 2 Live Crew was...they promptly turned the volume down to zero on the kids iPad.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant
Had this happen twice. Once on a flight from YYZ-LAX and was sat in front of Desperate Housewives star (don’t remember her name but found out later from flight attendant who she was) and she was FaceTiming someone, so I turned around and asked her to take her call off speaker, she gave me a look and kept on talking so I whipped out my phone and said I’d live stream her “private” conversation. She hung up the call and huffed for a while. Second time was a child whose parents said they couldn’t make them wear headphones as they were too big for the child’s head. I told the parents I’d start playing 2 Live Crew on my speaker then as well. They said “go right ahead”. They clearly didn’t know who 2 Live Crew was...they promptly turned the volume down to zero on the kids iPad.
^
I'm loading up "As Nasty as They Want to Be" on my phone right now.
Nothing like an extreme example to show people how annoying this selfish behavior can be.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:33 pm

I told the parents I’d start playing 2 Live Crew on my speaker then as well. They said “go right ahead”. They clearly didn’t know who 2 Live Crew was...they promptly turned the volume down to zero on the kids iPad.
That. Is brilliant.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Yes, this should be dealt with right after kids under the age of 2 are excluded from entering lounges.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
PMSL. My kind of guy.

Have never done it on a Plane / in a lounge yet, but for those that remeber, whenever I'm on a train and there is somebody having a loud phone conversation, I play the old Nokia ring tone at full blast, followed by shouting "Hello, I'm on the train! Can't hear you as somebody is talking loudly on their phone." Usually does the job and get a a few laughs.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
When did common courtesy and consideration for others fall out of fashion?

It is an absolute disgrace and I agree with the other comments on this thread. It’s bad enough in a lounge but onboard it’s thoroughly out of order.

I do remember a flight in CE some years ago - with my own family and small children - where someone’s kid watched their show on their iPad loud enough for the rest of us to hear it. I shot evil glances across the aisle but stopped short of actually saying anything. I’ll not make that mistake again.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
^
I'm loading up "As Nasty as They Want to Be" on my phone right now.
Nothing like an extreme example to show people how annoying this selfish behavior can be.
i actually played Get the f*$#& out of my house for them...oh the look on their faces was priceless. The lyrics I felt were quite appropriate.
princeville, rickg523 and ppp909 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by The Geek
PMSL. My kind of guy.

Have never done it on a Plane / in a lounge yet, but for those that remeber, whenever I'm on a train and there is somebody having a loud phone conversation, I play the old Nokia ring tone at full blast, followed by shouting "Hello, I'm on the train! Can't hear you as somebody is talking loudly on their phone." Usually does the job and get a a few laughs.
hahahaha, omg I’m going to try that tactic next time.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
They clearly didn’t know who 2 Live Crew was...
Definitely some NSFW song titles there! I dare not click on the youtube links, lest they start making similar suggestions.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I totally agree.

Add to the list really important businessmen who insist on walking up and down in the lounge whilst they take that urgent call, before immediately dialing another, then another and another. Insufferable, selfish folks.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Full Score
I totally agree.

Add to the list really important businessmen who insist on walking up and down in the lounge whilst they take that urgent call, before immediately dialing another, then another and another. Insufferable, selfish folks.

DYNWIA
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
DYNWIA
I suspect that some of these VIP phone calls are faked. I've overheard so many very expensive real estate transactions in MSP lounges that it would seem that expensive homes are never bought and sold by phone negotiation at other locations. There are a limited number of properties that transact in our market in, for example, the ten million range. It simply can't be the case that I've managed to eavesdrop on a very high fraction of them.
Great_circle and Fatdickie like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
If there was a bit more science involved I feel there would be an XKCD comic on this topic.
The 'how inconsiderate other people are' meme has been going for as long as I have been alive.
The tabloid press ran stories for years on Ghetto Blasters.

That being said, yes it annoys the heck out of me and I usually do say something.
The problem is that if most people are well behaved the idiots stand out in stark contrast.
If everyone was doing it, it would become background noise and I could zone it out rather than have someone else's vacuous nonsense be louder than my own thoughts.
mccartje likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.