Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it time for BA to crack down on use of speakers in lounges and on planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time for BA to crack down on use of speakers in lounges and on planes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by rickg523
I thought if the show was featuring an understudy that night, you could get a refund or a ticket for another night. If they couldn't shut her down, I would've asked for one of those.
I wish I’d thought of that last night!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I had a funny story. A few years ago I was traveling to Sao Paulo for a conference. Two women were seated behind me, one of whom was soft-spoken, and the other speaking incredibly loudly. I usually let it go for a while but this time it went on for too long.
So I got up and politely asked the woman to lower her voice. To which her seat mate took offence. Her seat mate said condescendingly- "Do you know you just told Carolina Herrera to lower her voice?"
So I looked at Carolina and said "Ms. Herrera, could you kindly lower your voice?"
To the shock of her seat mate, Carolina was incredibly polite. She apologized profusely and said she really hadn't realized she was being loud. I smiled and thanked her.
When we landed in Sao Paulo Carolina came over to me and apologized again. Classy lady indeed.
I had the misfortune to sit behind her on a BA Barcelona to LHR flight. I've have never come across someone more rude to the CC.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rickg523
Do you mean that figuratively because we're trying to put a damper on the noise?
I'm seeing (and hearing) a great number of actual old farts trying to impose their personalities on their surroundings through their oh-so-important speakerphone gabfests.
I've probably become more tolerant of noise since coming to live here.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Curiously, I’ve never encountered this problem. Being a bit hard of hearing may be a benefit in this case.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Sounds sensible, but be careful - I once (politely) asked a guy in F on a Crosscountry train if he wouldn’t mind turning down his music or using headphones... he initially said fine, and I returned to my seat a couple of rows back.

A minute later, he is standing over me yelling very aggressively and it becomes clear that he is raging drunk. My judgment was that the only way to de-escalate was by sitting there, taking his shouting and even apologising if I had come across rudely. It was pretty clear that had I stood up or challenged his behaviour there would have been a physical confrontation of some kind, and at best I would be taking one in the face. After a couple of minutes with me, he moved on to the young female sat in front of me and started shouting at her for the noise that her typing on her laptop was making, forcing her to stop and put it away. At this point I was very conflicted, because as a decent human being I wanted to intervene and tell him to leave her, and whilst I would have done if he had started to be remotely physically threatening to her, my sensible head knew that that was what he was wanting and would only have made things worse. Sure enough he soon gave up and sat down again. Didn’t play his music again though!

I guess there’s less risk in a lounge or on a plane, but the point is that you never quite know how people will react.
Intimidation from a drunken passenger, threatening another female passenger, I would have no heitation in pulling the Energency Chord/Button or whatever it is on trains. I believe BTP (British Transport Police) have the same powers of arrest as the Police.

ML
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Are we all becoming old farts before our time I wonder?
I've been farting as long as I can remember despite flatulance pants.

ML
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Curiously, I’ve never encountered this problem. Being a bit hard of hearing may be a benefit in this case.
Ever been on a Ryanair flight. Forget the passengers, its the crew, never shut the F up trying to flog stuff. Only time ear plugs + Cancellation headphones were ineffective.
ML
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
I believe BTP (British Transport Police) have the same powers of arrest as the Police.
Yes, and additional railway powers. Plus the railway bylaws prohibit the following.

Originally Posted by Railway Bylaws
7. Music, sound, advertising and carrying on a trade
(1) Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person:
(i) sing; or
(ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

(2) Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall:

(i) display anything for the purpose of advertising or publicity, ordistribute anything; or
(ii) sell or expose or offer anything for sale; or
(iii)tout for, or solicit money, reward, custom or employment of any kind

Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:27 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Yes, and additional railway powers. Plus the railway bylaws prohibit the following.
7.1.ii seems pretty useful, 'mental note'
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So misconduct at the gate, in the jetway/bus, or in baggage claim is allowed?
I think it would be the airport's rules / local laws you were breaking, not BA's Ts and Cs.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Next item to sell for the ancillary revenue manager: really good set of ear plugs
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cris L
I had the misfortune to sit behind her on a BA Barcelona to LHR flight. I've have never come across someone more rude to the CC.
She was fine with me because I confronted her directly in front of someone she apparently held in high esteem...

That said she is definitely one entitled lady.
Cris L likes this.

Last edited by bostontraveler; Sep 11, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Only tangentially related to Ba but this is the most recent thread on the subject.

To the d1ck beside me in the Marco Polo lounge in VCE right now, no need to get your panties all in a twist when I politely asked you to put headphones on to watch whatever you were loudly viewing on your phone. You reacted rudely and aggressively despite others around us supporting my asking you. I am female and Canadian, BTW, so polite and non-threatening by nature. Although I do speak Italian and addressed you in that language, you responded in accented English so not an Italian.

Not to mention as we were walking towards the lounge, you pushed right in front of me and tried to do the same to the elderly couple in front of me who fortunately and unknowingly blocked you from doing so. While I don’t necessarily subscribe to the ‘ladies must go first’ theory, it was rude and you almost ran right over my foot in your haste. And this was an hour ago so you obviously were not in that much of a hurry as you are still here.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Finkface
Only tangentially related to Ba but this is the most recent thread on the subject.

To the d1ck beside me in the Marco Polo lounge in VCE right now, no need to get your panties all in a twist when I politely asked you to put headphones on to watch whatever you were loudly viewing on your phone. You reacted rudely and aggressively despite others around us supporting my asking you. I am female and Canadian, BTW, so polite and non-threatening by nature. Although I do speak Italian and addressed you in that language, you responded in accented English so not an Italian.

Not to mention as we were walking towards the lounge, you pushed right in front of me and tried to do the same to the elderly couple in front of me who fortunately and unknowingly blocked you from doing so. While I don’t necessarily subscribe to the ‘ladies must go first’ theory, it was rude and you almost ran right over my foot in your haste. And this was an hour ago so you obviously were not in that much of a hurry as you are still here.
Aren't some people disgusting! I was asked not to speak so loudly - my immediate reaction was to apologise and when I'd finished I went and apologised again. He, bless him, said that he was sorry in return but said that my laughter got him laughing and he had to be serious for his call. We ended up having drinks together. However, I was mortified when it happened. My Mother would have been furious had I made what she called "an exhibition of myself"! My Mother brooked no ill manners from her children.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
That is also my education Pucci, and it does mean that sometimes we end up being trodden on. But I bet you're nicer to have drinks with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.