Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zacapa 23

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by shefgab
There hasn't (ever?) been dark rum in Club. Only that awful Bacardi Carta Blanca. Are you 100% sure it was on the menu?
Dark and stormy on the menu posted by CMK10 here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31268240-post2450.html

... but only Bacardi Carta Blanca on the spirits list. So they can’t actually make it.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The Ron Zacapa XO was also in the F lounge a couple of years ago. The Zacapa 23 is the second top in their range (after the XO), excluding various special editions. It is still a very fine rum, and the idea of mixing it with coke should evoke the same reaction as the whisky aficionados if you mention mixing your 12 or 15 year Whisky in coke.

It's a fine drink to be sipped neat, accompanied by a glass of water.

If you're going to mix it with coke, you might as well go Full Fortnum and put sevruga caviar on your baked potatoes (an actual recipe from the Fortnum & Mason Christmas cookbook!).
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Zacapa's an easily accessible rum, but let's not get overly pretentious about mixing it. They've already added about 25 grams of sugar in the bottle and diluted it down to 40% with water for a start...
alexwuk and nmuva98 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JPMND
I love the Ron Zacapa XO and if I remember correctly was available in the CCR until a couple of years ago. Seems like an ‘enhancement’ now serving 23 on board but better than nothing/being struck with Bacardi Carta Blanca!
The XO is in the Singapore Concorde Bar.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:10 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Zacapa's an easily accessible rum, but let's not get overly pretentious about mixing it. They've already added about 25 grams of sugar in the bottle and diluted it down to 40% with water for a start...
Standard for all spirits to water down to bottle strength. With malt whisky different editions have different strengths, some by cask strength, but even that varies from high 50% to low 60%.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Standard for all spirits to water down to bottle strength. With malt whisky different editions have different strengths, some by cask strength, but even that varies from high 50% to low 60%.
Well sure (as is adding sugar in rum), but I was just saying that being totally opposed to mixing with something like Coke is a bit illogical as it's already 30% water and 0.5% sugar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.