FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Zacapa 23 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1985457-zacapa-23-a.html)

Newly Wed Sep 1, 2019 6:01 am

Zacapa 23

I’m not sure when this first starting appearing on the F menu but it is heavenly with ice and coke. CC were startled when I asked for it and said they had never served it before.

Its a dark rum brewed above the rain clouds in Guatemala more commonly found in the Emirates F cabin.

PGFlyer85 Sep 1, 2019 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Newly Wed (Post 31478934)
I’m not sure when this first starting appearing on the F menu but it is heavenly with ice and coke. CC were startled when I asked for it and said they had never served it before.

Its a dark rum brewed above the rain clouds in Guatemala more commonly found in the Emirates F cabin.

I noticed the same. Have a bottle at home. Drink it neat or on the rocks. Has the sophistication of a good scotch or bourbon though with a bit more sweetness of course.

LTN Phobia Sep 1, 2019 9:50 am

Hasn't Zacapa (at least XO, not sure about 23) been on the F menu for ages, or have I mis-remembered?

itsmeitisss Sep 1, 2019 10:45 am

I personally woiuldn't drink the 23 or the XO (I have both at home) mixed with coke - that's what woods, lambs etc is for. Mine goes in a brandy glass and is sipped gently

volar Sep 1, 2019 10:46 am

Dark rum related, I asked for a ‘dark and stormy’ the other week whilst travelling in long haul J (it was on the menu). The crew member came back and apologised that they couldn’t actually make it as they have no dark rum in the bar anymore. Has is been permanently removed with the change to big bottles or was it just missing?

LondonElite Sep 1, 2019 10:49 am

Try Bumbu rum...

PUCCI GALORE Sep 1, 2019 10:55 am

Yes - do enjoy it everyone and that way they won't run out of Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle!

HIDDY Sep 1, 2019 11:30 am

My doctor almost fell off his chair the other week when I answered his question of which brand of whisky I drank and I told him that I much prefer dark rum instead. I reckon he's a secret tippler. :eek:

Must admit I only drink white rum with coke but each to their own, especially when it's included in the ticket price.

shefgab Sep 1, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Newly Wed (Post 31478934)

It appeared a few months ago when there was a big change in the bars in all cabins. It's a great addition and hopefully it'll appear in Club soon. Qantas had a choice of TWO dark rums in ECONOMY the last time I flew with them.

Originally Posted by volar (Post 31479609)
Dark rum related, I asked for a ‘dark and stormy’ the other week whilst travelling in long haul J (it was on the menu). The crew member came back and apologised that they couldn’t actually make it as they have no dark rum in the bar anymore. Has is been permanently removed with the change to big bottles or was it just missing?

There hasn't (ever?) been dark rum in Club. Only that awful Bacardi Carta Blanca. Are you 100% sure it was on the menu?

TTmex Sep 1, 2019 12:25 pm

I'd be delighted if they got some good rum in Club. I'd take that over the port I normally accompany my cheese board with.

Best rum I ever had was a bottle of 12 year-old oak aged Ron de Santiago, which I picked up in Havana. I made it last well over a year as I just wanted to savour every sip.

Jimbojumbo Sep 1, 2019 12:34 pm

If you ask for a dark rum in Club is there a possibility that one can be procured from First?

shefgab Sep 1, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo (Post 31479905)
If you ask for a dark rum in Club is there a possibility that one can be procured from First?

Same chances as when you ask for the LPGS

volar Sep 1, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 31479786)
It appeared a few months ago when there was a big change in the bars in all cabins. It's a great addition and hopefully it'll appear in Club soon. Qantas had a choice of TWO dark rums in ECONOMY the last time I flew with them.

There hasn't (ever?) been dark rum in Club. Only that awful Bacardi Carta Blanca. Are you 100% sure it was on the menu?

I’m 100% sure there was a dark and stormy listed as one of the cocktails on the club menu. Unfortunately I binned the menu so I can’t check and you’ll have to take my word for it unless somebody else can verify? I’m also 100% sure the crew couldn’t prepare it as there was no dark rum in the club bar, which based on comments here seems to be correct. I ended up with a Bacardi and ginger ale!

alexwuk Sep 1, 2019 1:55 pm

Foursquare is your friend... is to Rum what Macallan is to Malt Whisky (even down to bottling some batches of 14 year old in Oloroso Cask, just like Macallan). Whereas Zacapa is a Diageo owned thing that adds sugar to their end product. Would you buy a fine single malt where they'd just tossed in a bunch of sugar at the end before bottling? The "23" in the name is also pretty disingenuous: in Scotch the age statement of the blend is legally set at the youngest component of the blend. Where Zacapa's 23, the 23 number donotes the oldest material in the Blend; meaning that your Zacapa 23 is very likely significantly younger (7-8 years average) than say, Johnnie Walker Black (12 years old minimum)

[/rant]

JPMND Sep 1, 2019 2:50 pm

I love the Ron Zacapa XO and if I remember correctly was available in the CCR until a couple of years ago. Seems like an ‘enhancement’ now serving 23 on board but better than nothing/being struck with Bacardi Carta Blanca!