Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It's zero for skinflints unable to make a reasonable guess as to the value of the goods served. Sounds like an excuse using arithmetic to justify cheapness.
I'm a good tipper when tipping is the done thing. It's not the done thing in the UK, in these circumstances, in my opinion.
nancypants, Lizie and jgor like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by CSM_livingthedream
Many years of flying and never had a ‘tip’

we often get the odd box of choccy here and there, but never from a full fare customer

of course, I’ll never say no if you get a little special hello from me ��
I don’t tip on board but I have very occasionally brought chocolate on board around Christmas, except for the last one, which was on BA’s 100th birthday.
Globaliser likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPGold
Sign in AS Lounge in SEA

The sign at the bar at the new SEA Alaska Lounge on N gates specifically says not to tip. Nice little sign.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

I think the key here is the location of said lounges. As this is a BA forum, people will assume the lounges are in Britain, and that it is entirely culturally (and financially given minimum wage laws) appropriate that there is no expectation to tip. If the lounges under discussion were in N American, that might be different.
To clarify, tipping is not expected in any BA lounge irrespective of where in the world the lounge may be. Tips are certainly welcome and are accepted with genuine appreciation, but no one should feel there is any expectation for them to leave a tip and the servers will not give it a second thought if no tip is offered.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by killaypirate
Know it’s customary to give 10-20% tip to servers in restaurants. But what is etiquette for tips when using pre-flight dining in lounge?
The premise is already wrong. There are many countries where this is not customary at all, and even some where it is offensive to do so. The tipping culture varies enormously by country, and by context. In European lounges, it is certainly not customary to leave tips to waiting staff. It will not be offensive but slightly bizarre if you do. Unlike, say, a restaurant in the uk or France where tips are normal enough that internal arrangements are in place as to how they are shared between staff, in lounges, as they are not the norm at all, there would be no such pre-existing arrangement and thus I’d expect the person who picks it to keep the whole thing.
Bullswood, wrp96, Lefly and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There are many countries where this is not customary at all, and even some where it is offensive to do so. The tipping culture varies enormously by country, and by context. In European lounges, it is certainly not customary to leave tips to waiting staff. It will not be offensive but slightly bizarre if you do.
Here in Germany you would normally just round the bill up to the next euro: nothing more is expected, and to leave more can be seen as patronising. Nevertheless, American visitors universally disregard this convention and cannot seem to stop themselves leaving a pile of cash on the table.

But, back on topic... as far as I'm concerned, an airline lounge is a facility offered by airlines to its frequent, valued and/or high-spending customers, included in the cost of the ticket, and it should never be necessary to tip anyone who serves you there. I refuse to participate, when not in north America, in the rather embarrassing habit of showering money upon everyone who crosses your path during the course of a day.
princeville, nancypants and jgor like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Me and my partner where recently in CCR JFK and was not sure what to do, but in the end our waiter vanished and we could not find her so we didn’t tip.

thus if she had not of vanished we would have tipped 😐
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:07 am

orbitmic: "In European lounges, it is certainly not customary to leave tips to waiting staff."

Quite so, and let's keep it that way. In too may countries, tipping has long since ceased to have any correlation with service quality and has become simply a way of converting the employer's fixed cost into a variable one, so "no customers, little or no wage cost." Hardly to the overall benefit of the work force?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I don’t tip on board but I have very occasionally brought chocolate on board around Christmas ...
Same here. I'll only do that if I know the crew will be away over Christmas, and I'm not often travelling that close to Christmas Day. I know it's slightly counterintuitive, as many who are away over Christmas positively choose those trips. But some don't. And it being Christmas, it's always been appreciated.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
Each to their own - I remember a thread years ago about people who take presents on board for the cabin crew and it just made me cringe. I'm not mean, far from it, but it's I just I find the whole thing ever so slightly odd... I mean, I'll thank them warmly if they've gone the extra mile, give out a Golden Ticket if I have one, or fill out the form online to ensure their amazing service is recognised... but I think that's where it ends. Turning up for a flight with a gift ready for the crew (before you've even decided if they're worth it) just doesn't sit well with me.

That said, I'm sure they'll appreciate having you as a passenger far more than me, if it went down well.
I believe that is the difference between a bribe - something given with the expectation of a favour to follow, and a tip - which should rather come after the service has been provided.

I think that chocolates (and unhealthy treats generally) in someone's work environment is borderline irresponsible. Of course they have a choice to not eat it, but I guess that is much harder stuck on a metal tube for several hours!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cbrave
The sign at the bar at the new SEA Alaska Lounge on N gates specifically says not to tip. Nice little sign.
Almost revolutionary! Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Cbrave, it's all the better to have two new members here in one thread. Welcome on board.

Personally I'm a "when in Rome" person, so I know not to give tips in Japan, and generally bias to giving hefty tips in the USA. But against a sign like that I would need not be dipping into my dollar bill stack.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Misco60

But, back on topic... as far as I'm concerned, an airline lounge is a facility offered by airlines to its frequent, valued and/or high-spending customers, included in the cost of the ticket, and it should never be necessary to tip anyone who serves you there.
I think that’s an important point. In the lounge you are, for all practical purposes, the airline’s guest.

When we we go out, my friends and I don’t split bills. We invite each other more or less equitably over time. I would never let one of my friends tip when they are my guests as this is part of my invitation (obviously), and conversely, I wouldn’t tip when they are picking the tap. So conversely, if I’m ba’s guest I’d expect them to pay for the service.
Cris L and Misco60 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I remember a few year ago I was in the AMEX Centurion lounge at SFO.

I did not have any dollars left as it was my flight back to LHR and I got several glasses of Champagne for me and my wife. Thinking of European lounges, and no on else was tipping despite a crowded lounge, I only said thank you.

Given that, despite the fact that I did the usual 20% in bars and restaurants I wasn't tipping and after the 3rd glass the bartender mentioned rather annoyed that 'it would be great to show my appreciation' and 'outside there's an ATM'.

Despite feeling bad me not applying what I've done in every other bar, I found his comments a bit too straight forward. Now I am tipping even in AC when I use my free vouchers
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I once saw the tourist in front of me as I walked into Harrods hand a £20 note to the doorman ....

Doubt they get £20 in a year from all the British customers put together.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I remember a few year ago I was in the AMEX Centurion lounge at SFO.

I did not have any dollars left as it was my flight back to LHR and I got several glasses of Champagne for me and my wife. Thinking of European lounges, and no on else was tipping despite a crowded lounge, I only said thank you.

Given that, despite the fact that I did the usual 20% in bars and restaurants I wasn't tipping and after the 3rd glass the bartender mentioned rather annoyed that 'it would be great to show my appreciation' and 'outside there's an ATM'.

Despite feeling bad me not applying what I've done in every other bar, I found his comments a bit too straight forward. Now I am tipping even in AC when I use my free vouchers
Then he would have received short shrift from me and a complaint to Amex. Disgraceful behaviour.
ksu, wrp96, zpaul and 11 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.