Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Unlike, say, a restaurant in the uk or France where tips are normal enough that internal arrangements are in place as to how they are shared between staff.
In France service is always included. People tend to leave some change and there might well be an agreement between the staff about sharing but there's no expectation that tips will be left.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You were paying a quite extraordinary amount of attention to the goings on at the other table.
Hit a nerve? We’re you there perhaps?
The blast radius of this particular diner was at least 5 tables wide. Think some of the examples in the DYKWIA thread.

...but I'm guessing your assessment of the size of the tip was based on a rough estimate of the bill and a visual check of the cash left on the table: of course the host might well have tipped through his card and left a smaller supplement in cash.
No guessing required. Facts are more useful I find.
In common with everything else this diner said to the staff that night, the approach to the tip was broadcast for all to hear. “No, I won’t sign for a tip. I will leave it in cash”. As soon as the waitstaff withdrew, a €5 was plopped on the table and said diner made a hasty exit.

Or it could be that he simply did not find the place, and the service, as exceptional as you perceived it to be: indeed maybe he was discombobulated by the rather intense scrutiny he was receiving from a neighbouring table....
More guessing? I never indicated either the gender or the nationality of the diner.

Up to the two critical queries in the final 15 mins of the meal (“please hurry up” and “why am I being charged €6 for coffee with petit fours”) every other broadcast commentary was on the lines of “the bread is wonderful, please could I have just one more piece”, “the fish is divine”, etc. etc. etc.

Avoiding eye contact was more the issue rather paying attention!

Happy to share more details (as in facts) if it helps sooth that nerve I hit.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can't say I've ever thought about tipping airline lounge staff maybe I should.

In everyday life I tend to tip more in lower end establishments where the salaries aren't great. We have a lot of Venezuelans working in the service sector here at the moment who have a very friendly manner.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
My favourite tale about tipping (a little OT sorry, but perhaps a gentle distraction amidst this slightly touchy thread topic) concerns the late Francis Albert Sinatra : an individual known for being extremely generous & appreciative to all who waited on, helped, and / or generally pleased him, especially those in low-paid roles (albeit in stark contrast to the less pleasant treatment meted out - allegedly - by Sinatra’s ‘people’ to anyone who dared incur his wrath).

The great man once asked a parking valet what was the biggest tip he ever received. To which the reply came, "$100, Sir”
Sinatra - never one to be outdone - promptly proceeded to give him a tip that was considerably larger than that. Following which curiosity got the better of Sinatra .... so much so, that he demanded to know who was the guy who had tipped $100. At which point the grateful valet said, "It was you, Mr. Sinatra."
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
In everyday life I tend to tip more in lower end establishments where the salaries aren't great. We have a lot of Venezuelans working in the service sector here at the moment who have a very friendly manner.
Interesting parallel with the Western Cape, where many servers are from Malawi or Zimbabwe ... and sending their wages home to support their families back there.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bullswood
I'm probably missing something but I'm intrigued to know how you knew the bill amount and then counted the cash to work out the percentage from someone else's table?
If on the other hand the maitre d' disclosed & discussed with you it can't be that good a restaurant...

Perhaps the diner wasn't happy with the service - isn't that what a tip is supposed to reflect?
See my earlier responses to some of the above. Staff were nothing but professional and appropriate.

The total was verbalized loudly before the query on the cost of coffee.

12.5% would be standard local tip.

Anyway the point I was trying to make was that under-tipping (assuming you believe this is a thing) is not unique to visitors to the US
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The best tip to ever give anyone is to tell them to join Flyertalk and go to the BA Board

Joking apart, I usually tip 10% of a restaurant bill assuming the service is at least satisfactory, leave a tip in hotel rooms for the staff but I have never thought or probably would leave a tip in an airport lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And the Exam Question was .... Lounge Staff!

I did tip the Barman in the First Lounge at PHX ... he was very assiduous in ensuring we were both topped up.
Was it pertinent that I tipped him when I ordered our first 2 glasses? No idea, but possibly.
Did I tip him again, subsequently? I don’t think I did.
But there were only 10 pax in there anyway, so he wasn’t overworked!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
In France service is always included. People tend to leave some change and there might well be an agreement between the staff about sharing but there's no expectation that tips will be left.
i know France pretty well indeed, one would tip to signify that they were really happy with the service (and nowhere near us level because as you rightly say, service has to be included by law as in most civilised countries so you just top it up really) and conversely you wouldn’t leave anything if you found service mediocre. However, every restaurant I know in France will have sharing arrangeants in place so it will be shared between your waiter, kitchen, bar etc.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Wow! a topic on tipping - next time, please tell me in advance so that I can enjoy it from the start

I feel like I have arrived at a party after the cake has been cut!!!

I now have my popcorn, so please continue.......
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Also, US service staff are taxed on their expected rate of tipping by the IRS. Under-tip, and it costs the server money.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

I never knew that. How shocking 😮
Not just the US.

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Misco60
You mean your own boss tips you for doing what he's already paying you to do!?

If so, that is the clearest example I have ever seen of the insanity of tipping culture.
We operate our aircraft in some very challenging parts of the world, which on many occasions require considerable additional planning and effort to ensure a safe and secure trip for our principal. As someone mentioned, we view it as a performance bonus based on how we are run his asset, i.e. his $50M jet. Same as bankers, investors, sales people and many other professions receive a performance related incentive or bonus. Ours is just seen in different terms by our principal, who also, if I may add, tips many other people who contribute to all manor of aspects of making his working life as smooth as possible.

If you see the tips as "insanity", well, that is your problem, but I have no issue accepting them as a thanks from someone who is a kind, hard working, generous philanthropist, who genuinely appreciates the great effort we all, as a crew, go to on his behalf.
Wong Jnr, dnajockey and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by rapidex
When I was working flying a BBJ we got paid our salary plus per diem, then the boss would send his butler with the tip, which varied between $5000 for a transatlantic trip to $1000 for a couple of days away.
Yep, exactly the same... Although he does it in person with us before he gets off the jet... I love the BBJ, a lot of work in the cabin, but a beautiful aircraft!
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by killaypirate
Know it’s customary to give 10-20% tip to servers in restaurants.
Sorry but this is frankly not true for a lot of European countries and in some it's considered offensive. In the US and Canada tipping is their culture and I'm happy to do so, but back in the UK it's a no from me unless you have had exceptional service. Unlike other countries, our staff are paid a decent wage and it should not be down to the customers to make up any shortfall in their income because their employer doesn't want to pay it. I would much rather the price of the meals increases if that means staff are paid a better wage, but this expectation of tipping in the UK really needs to stop.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jimmauk
Sorry but this is frankly not true for a lot of European countries and in some it's considered offensive. In the US and Canada tipping is their culture and I'm happy to do so, but back in the UK it's a no from me unless you have had exceptional service. Unlike other countries, our staff are paid a decent wage and it should not be down to the customers to make up any shortfall in their income because their employer doesn't want to pay it. I would much rather the price of the meals increases if that means staff are paid a better wage, but this expectation of tipping in the UK really needs to stop.
The tipping culture is firmly planted in the UK and flourishing. Restaurant service charges are quite common and in recent years I've seen tip jars appearing in British pubs. Tipping is by no means regarded as "offensive" in Great Britain, at least not by the people who are receiving them.

A tip can go a long way in the UK if you are dining in the same place regularly. Many years ago I stayed at a small hotel near London with breakfast included and the food service was abysmal. After our first breakfast we each left a pound coin by our plates as an experiment. The transformation was remarkable and for the rest of the week we received preferential treatment much to the dismay of the parsimonious patrons who arrived before we did.

Where in Europe are tips "offensive?" I have traveled extensively in Europe and have only had a portion of a tip returned once. It was a restaurant in a small town in southern Bulgaria where the proprietor thought I'd left too much.

Last edited by Badenoch; Sep 2, 2019 at 7:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.