Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrading an AA flight booked through BA with Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading an AA flight booked through BA with Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Upgrading an AA flight booked through BA?

I have economy tickets for LHR-LAX-LHR in fare bucket "B".

The tickets were booked through American Express Global Business Travel.

Is there any possible way for me to upgrade using Avios, assuming availability opens up?

Last edited by oceanscape; Aug 29, 2019 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No. Even if this had been a BA direct booking the list of selling classes you can UuA from for an AA flights is very limited and B is not one

J, C, D, W, Y, B – B class not available for upgrade on AA
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
No. Even if this had been a BA direct booking the list of selling classes you can UuA from for an AA flights is very limited and B is not one
Okay, thanks for the heads-up.

What are the chances of me being able to pay for an upgrade at check-in? Do AA ever offer POUG's like BA at OLCI or will my only chance be to ask in person at a check-in desk?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oceanscape

What are the chances of me being able to pay for an upgrade at check-in? Do AA ever offer POUG's like BA at OLCI or will my only chance be to ask in person at a check-in desk?
I think AA do them - but I admit I am not an expert in that area so hopefully someone else can help.

Bear in mind with a POUG/AUP on AA you will only receive the TPs and avios for the original cabin and not the upgraded one when crediting to BAEC.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold

AA are pretty keen on selling upgrades at the airport, space permitting, as I remember from a previous life in which I used to fly in Y.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ubiest

AA are pretty keen on selling upgrades at the airport, space permitting, as I remember from a previous life in which I used to fly in Y.
Okay, well hopefully that gives me some hope that I won't be stuck in Y for 12 hours.

Any chance my Gold BAEC status will carry any weight with AA or do they only care about their own status holders, even though it's supposedly all OneWorld?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA : BA

Any chance my Gold BAEC status will carry any weight with AA or do they only care about their own status holders, even though it's supposedly all OneWorld?
In terms of upgrades? Absolutely zero - AA work on SWUs and then status and rolling EQDs.

You will be marked as EP on the manifest for what it's worth
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by SoggyDollar
In terms of upgrades? Absolutely zero - AA work on SWUs and then status and rolling EQDs.

Kinda. Admittedly these are busy routes so the chances are low. AA waitlists upgrades with instruments or miles on long haul and doles them out based on criteria like status and spend. Much depends therefore on how "busy" the waitlist is for upgrades - if there are ten people on the waitlist and eight seats left, none will be offered for sale.

A good way to gauge chances of upgrades being offered at the airport is to check for upgrade availability on the flight (for biz this is C class on AA). For example, AA109 next wednesday is showing C5. This means there are five upgrades available to business right now. This means there is no waitlist (anyone on the waitlist would have been automatically cleared into C already); if this sticks until evening before departure, say, seats will be offered at the airport. AA139 today, which is now boarding, is showing C7, so plenty of open space and upgrades would have been offered. This is easier right now (holiday season), will get a bit harder in business heavy times. You get the idea.

Rule of thumb, easier to get the upgrades on day flights than night flights. Tomorrow's LHR-LAX both showing C7 right now, LAX-LHR are C0 all the way through this week and next.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by SoggyDollar

Wouldn't OP be eligible for MCE (extra legroom seats, not the same as PE) as a OWE? I know that isn't really an upgrade, but for a 12 hour flight I'd need the extra few inches.

Edit: What's with the "B" fare, I didn't think AA was doing Basic economy awards yet but OP said they paid with Avios.

Last edited by Gig103; Aug 29, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Gig103
Wouldn't OP be eligible for MCE (extra legroom seats, not the same as PE) as a OWE? I know that isn't really an upgrade, but for a 12 hour flight I'd need the extra few inches.

Edit: What's with the "B" fare, I didn't think AA was doing Basic economy awards yet but OP said they paid with Avios.
Yes, should be able to select an economy extra seat on the AA flight with BA suitable status, I've done so several times.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, I've reserved MCE for now but TBH I am still dreading it having been lucky enough to avoid long-haul Y in the last few years!

Originally Posted by Gig103
It's a BA-ticketed AA flight so maybe that explains the "B" fare?

Very random question: I assume a SWU cannot be applied where you are flying AA but on a BA ticket? A colleague has a SWU and said I could use it if availability opens up (right now there is none on either of my flights)....
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks everyone. Yes, I've reserved MCE for now but TBH I am still dreading it having been lucky enough to avoid long-haul Y in the last few years!

It's a BA-ticketed AA flight so maybe that explains the "B" fare?

Very random question: I assume a SWU cannot be applied where you are flying AA but on a BA ticket? A colleague has a SWU and said I could use it if availability opens up (right now there is none on either of my flights)....
Your random question is best directed at the AA forum. Generally, an 001- ticket is not required to use a SWU; the flight must be marketed and operated by AA. Check out this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Regarding "B" fare class and AA basic economy tickets (and their use on JV routes) see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.