Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest routes for Maximum TIer points ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Cheapest routes for Maximum TIer points ?

Hi,

new to this forum, and hoping someone out there may be able to help ...

I have only just found out about Gold Guest List, and frustratingly I earnt 4650 in my last year and didn’t recall seeing any notification that my next benefit would be GGL if I hit 5000.

This year I am currently on 3850 and with just over 2 months my planned trips will get me to a similar level where I could fall short by a similar amount. ( note now I can see it states GGL as my next benefit, whereas last year it said Lifetime Gold.... and maybe only get GGL after LTG?)

I have seen mention of Tier point runs in other posts, and wondering what is the best way to get Tier points with the least amount of cost and time flying - are their certain routes ( maybe with connections) that I should be considering?, any partner airlines outside of BA that I should look into? I am based in HK and regularly fly to Uk and Europe.... so could also look at booking flights out of Europe during one of my planned trips as well.

Cheers

Last edited by Pshk; Aug 27, 2019 at 5:26 am Reason: Adding a question mark
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, Pshk!

The central thread for Tier Point runs is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...er-thread.html - and although it will be of limited direct help for runs starting in Hong Kong, some of the techniques discussed in it may still help, plus it will help if you are able to think about TP runs starting in the UK or Europe.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum Pshk ^

T
hat's a pity you were just short of the TP's last year. There are a number of routes you could consider and given the part of the world you are in but also travel here to the UK and Europe then see the Wiki page for some ideas as below:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949126-ba-tier-point-runs-2019-master-thread.html

Have a good read of that thread and also the BA Forum Dashboard which may assist you for all BA and oneworld related matters.

If you reach the GGL/CCR level then there are a number of other GGL related threads which will no doubt be invaluable to you.

I hope you may be able to post back if you reach it but do feel free to post your experiences as no doubt you have a lot as a FF'r.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

If you are short by around 500 tps then a possible obvious route is with Qatar via doha which would earn you 560 tps for a J return hkg to many places in Western europe
Finnair via hel would give 440 return to lhr in j
Regards
​​​​​​. Tbs
AJA_ likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Pshk
... I earnt 4650 in my last year and didn’t recall seeing any notification that my next benefit would be GGL if I hit 5000.

... my planned trips will get me to a similar level where I could fall short by a similar amount.

Greetings and welcome to Flyertalk from another Asia (Beijing in my case) based traveler ... I can strongly recommend following Globaliser's and PETER01's advice and to take some time when you have it to read through the TP thread runs thread - although many of the postings relate to trips starting in either the US or the EU, there is still a lot of useful information there.

In brief though Hong Kong is not the best placed location in Asia for lowest cost TP earning, as the best value (TP per spend in whatever currency you prefer to think in) in Asia is generally on Malaysia Airlines (MH). However, as Hong Kong is <2000 miles from Kuala Lumpur you will only earn 40*4 TPs on most routes (the longer ones that get you 140 TPs are to PEK, TPE, PVG, KTM, and DEL as far as I can recall). [[b]EDIT: also BOM - I had forgotten about the good ex-TPE deals mentioned by Too much travel below, as well as TYO, KIX, SEL and all the NZ/Australia routes - but those are generally not such good value in terms of TP earning.]

At present the lowest cost way to collect an extra 360 TPs is to use some Avios (you must have a stack of them to go with those TPs) to position in Shanghai (either using a visa or the transit without visa scheme), and then take advantage of a route on MH. The prices ex-PVG at the moment are not so great - but there are new sale fare pretty much every month, and you can almost always find something at less that 2GBP per TP (often as low as GBP1.30 per TP). There are generally even better value deals from Nanjing - but less options on flights there.
PETER01 likes this.

Last edited by GinFizz; Aug 27, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
DXB or ABU to CGK via CMB on Sri Lankan will get you 560 TP's. Prices vary £600 to £900 which gives a ration of £1:07 and £1:67 per TP. Of course this mean a Positiong flight to either of the UAE locations but as has already been quoted by virtue of accruing >4k TP's I would assume you have sufficient Avios to get to UAE. Note, I also believe you can do thi from Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha as well. BE careful as although you can also go from Muscat this falls into the 40TP bracket.

I believe there is a Forum that focus's on this route somewhere on FT. No doubt one of the more seasoned FT'ers would be able to point you in the right direction.

ML
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to the Forum Pshk

In previous years you would have got GGL naturally for consecutive 3,000 TPs over two years. Unfortunately this now requires one at 5,000 then annually 3,000. I think it’s well worth the push if you will earn more than 3,000 for the years ahead. A shame you didn’t know this a couple of years ago.

Have fun on a Tier Point run
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide some excellent feedback and suggestions. Will take me some time to read the recommended posts but some great food for thought!!

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
As a HK-based GGL, I've done the TPE-KUL-DEL and TPE-KUL-BOM tier point run a couple of times. Both the TPE-KUL and KUL-DEL/BOM legs are slightly over 2000 miles, so you can pick up a good 560 TPs at (usually) a pretty reasonable price. It does however require an India visa, and also the use of a few Avios to do the HKG-TPE positioning flights since the cash cost on CX isn't worth it.

You'll need to play around with the days though - it's only some days that have a late connecting flight to India. On the way back it's not a problem as the India-KUL redeyes connect onto the morning KUL-TPE flight.
bisonrav and ubiest like this.

Last edited by Too much travel; Aug 27, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
DXB or ABU to CGK via CMB on Sri Lankan will get you 560 TP's. Prices vary £600 to £900 which gives a ration of £1:07 and £1:67 per TP. Of course this mean a Positiong flight to either of the UAE locations but as has already been quoted by virtue of accruing >4k TP's I would assume you have sufficient Avios to get to UAE. Note, I also believe you can do thi from Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha as well. BE careful as although you can also go from Muscat this falls into the 40TP bracket.

I believe there is a Forum that focus's on this route somewhere on FT. No doubt one of the more seasoned FT'ers would be able to point you in the right direction.

ML

is is it the same tier points regardless whether Go for cheapest biz ticket or most expensive ( flex) biz ticket.

i get AED 3700 on cheapest biz flight which is incredibly cheap (£820) for 560 Tier points!!! I can’t see anyway to check what tier points I get on the Srilanka air website ( which I assume is where I book from)??
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
It is indeed the same amount of TPs. So just go for the cheapest Business Class ticket. I am doing two of these in November to get me very close to my 5K TPs as well.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec

is is it the same tier points regardless whether Go for cheapest biz ticket or most expensive ( flex) biz ticket.

i get AED 3700 on cheapest biz flight which is incredibly cheap (£820) for 560 Tier points!!! I can’t see anyway to check what tier points I get on the Srilanka air website ( which I assume is where I book from)??
When flying in business or F, Tier Points are always the same regardless the price.
You can't see how many Tier Points or Avios you get on the Srilankan website, only on BA website using the Avios/TPs calculator, choosing the airline and the route (entering one leg at a time)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Welcome to FT from another relative newbie (end of July in my case).

It is a wonderful source of info and eye-opening as well, I never knew about the possibliity of back to back or positioning flights before coming across this site.

Originally Posted by Lefly
You can't see how many Tier Points or Avios you get on the Srilankan website, only on BA website using the Avios/TPs calculator, choosing the airline and the route (entering one leg at a time)
link to that page here:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/public/en_gb?refevent=bah_ecavscalculat/public/en_gb

select airline you're travelling on from.the drop down and fill in each field to get Avios and TPs
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
To add to the above replies, for the UL fare, you can see the fare basis information after selecting the outbound and return flights on the Sri Lankan Airlines website in the "Fare Basis Information" box on the right hand side of the webpage.

The cheapest fare ("biz saver") for this route will be something like" IE6M1AEIB " - which tells you it books into the "I" fare bucket (given by the first letter of the fare basis) - and you can double check on the BA website for the AUH-CMB and CMB-CGK routes on UL that "I" will indeed give you 140 TPs for each leg.

Similarly the Biz Value has the "DE6MAEIB" fare basis, the Biz Semiflex has "CRTAEIB" fare basis, and Biz Flex has the "JRTAEIB" fare basis. The Avios/TP calculator linked above will show you that booking into all these fare classes (I, D, C, J) gives the same TPs (but "I" does give less Avios as far as I recall).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

£800 seems a little expensive though I guess that depends on season. Are you looking to depart from DXB or ABU? From what I've seen ABU seems cheaper though I think you have to be careful which metal you get as it can be an A321 which is a recliner or an A330 which is Lie Flat. Some would argue for the duration of the flight it's not worth considering which I would agree.

ML

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.