Community
Wiki Posts
Search

788 All seats occupied

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

788 All seats occupied

We're on the BA225 to MSY on Weds 28th August. CW, BA holidays booking.

As of this morning all seats in CW are showing as occupied (not blocked) on ba.com and expertflyer. We are blue so currently we have no seat.

Wondering what's likely to happen here and when we'd know - upgauge to 789, seats end up freeing up at check in or downgrade? Any advice other than to check in at T-24?

Last edited by jackqu7; Aug 26, 2019 at 3:08 am Reason: clarify 28th aug
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by jackqu7
We're on the BA225 to MSY on Weds 28th. CW, BA holidays booking.

As of this morning all seats in CW are showing as occupied (not blocked) on ba.com and expertflyer. We are blue so currently we have no seat.

Wondering what's likely to happen here and when we'd know - upgauge to 789, seats end up freeing up at check in or downgrade? Any advice other than to check in at T-24?
Check in at T-24. The 27th is the second possible pilots strike so availability is all over the place. It will settle down in the next week or so.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:51 am

Curiously they are still selling seats as the flight is J2 but the seat map is indeed absolutely full. So I wonder if they are planning a swap to 787-9 but haven't done it yet. Otherwise maybe have a look at the options and give them a call if you want to be proactive rather than ending up with a downgrade (as later on in the day will be less options for a reroute) - seats are available via Dallas for instance
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Impossible to say.

The MSY-LHR route is the only non-stop to Europe from that airport, so it's quite likely that there will be a high proportion of connecting passengers. Some of those at least are likely to miss their connections and be rerouted. Others may cancel voluntarily, e.g., due to the strike.

You may also be able to reroute via ORD, DFW, and I think MIA with possible compensation.

An aircraft swap is also a possibility but it won't be plugged in yet.

A downgrade is also possible, and the compensation for this is quite generous (and the WTP experience is reasonable on a day flight). However, I'd say that's still not a particularly likely outcome in view of all the other, more favourable options above.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by rapidex
Check in at T-24. The 27th is the second possible pilots strike so availability is all over the place. It will settle down in the next week or so.
I believe the op is referring to flights in August and not September.
This seat map does suggest that the flight in J is overbooked, and BA still willing to sell 2 more seats!
There could be a last minute sub to a 789- this happened to me once when I flew from MSY-LHR.
Please let us know what happens when you check in.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fatmac70

This seat map does suggest that the flight in J is overbooked, and BA still willing to sell 2 more seats!
There could be a last minute sub to a 789- this happened to me once when I flew from MSY-LHR.
Thanks all. To clarify it is indeed this coming Wednesday 28th August.

Will certainly update on what happens. Glad to hear downgrade seems unlikely as the grief I'd get from the other half is unthinkable!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Is this because TS has already allocated a pair of seats, behind the scenes as it were?
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Would a 789 really increase the overall number of seats? I was under the impression that, while the aircraft is bigger, the F cabin ends up reducing the overall seat number?

If BA has this as J2, you can be reasonably sure that there will be seats on the day. With all the strike chaos going on a lot of people will not make the flights they are currently booked on.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jackqu7
We're on the BA225 to MSY on Weds 28th August. CW, BA holidays booking.

Redacted as I am silly cow of unimaginable proportions!

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Aug 26, 2019 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by fatmac70

Ok thanks, failed to spot that.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I've just looked on Expertflyer and there seems to be 14 seats not occupied in J - all the middle with one window seat only otherwise.. I wonder if they have closed seating to airport only? I would also expect that some of these "unknown errors" may be to blame. showing J9 as of just now.
I believe the op is referring to the LHR-MSY 28th Aug flight. I think you are quoting data for the inbound MSY-LHR on the 28th Aug.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Would a 789 really increase the overall number of seats? I was under the impression that, while the aircraft is bigger, the F cabin ends up reducing the overall seat number?

If BA has this as J2, you can be reasonably sure that there will be seats on the day. With all the strike chaos going on a lot of people will not make the flights they are currently booked on.
it would - 8F seats and another one row of J - 7 seats - potential 15 more seat.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I've just looked on Expertflyer and there seems to be 14 seats not occupied in J - all the middle with one window seat only otherwise.. I wonder if they have closed seating to airport only? I would also expect that some of these "unknown errors" may be to blame. showing J9 as of just now.
You might be looking at the other way - OP is outbound I think (LHR-MSY) - EF shows all occupied.

PS: Ha - Timing!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
My advice is DON’T PANIC! There is no point in phoning BA - right now, agents are flat out & unless / until you are actually downgraded there isn’t anything a contact centre agent can do.

DO come up with a plan B, acceptable to you in terms of a reroute.

I’d also reiterate in the strongest possible terms though that things can change between now and OLCI.

Also, as this is a Holidays booking, this is good as they are known for being uniquely helpful & empowered when things do go wrong.
Cymro and jackqu7 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If, for some reason you did need to be rerouted, the options are:

1. LHR-DFW-MSY, departing 08:40 and arriving 15:39. This would be my preferred option, sleeping as much of the way to DFW as physically possible. Operated by AA.

2. LHR-MIA-MSY, departing 16:40 and arriving 23:46. A very late finish but you can just rock up at your hotel and sleep, and you only need to opt for this once you know you've lost business class seats on your preferred booking.

3. LHR-CLT-MSY, departing 12:20 and arriving 19:38. Weakest product (old AA A330) but probably the closest to your original timings.

Coincidentally, all of these options depart from T3, in which case I would heartily recommend either the Qantas or Cathay lounges over BA's offering. Hopefully, if you are able to check in at T-24 and get a seat, you won't need to worry about any of these.
AJA_ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.