Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:57 pm

After I posted on FlyerTalk BA sent me not one, but 2 emails saying flight going ahead as normal. Thanks to everyone for sharing! CWS, Prospero BA need to hire some folks like you. Who agrees?
T8191, HighwayToHEL, RG1X and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

a retro way of marking ba’s 100th “birthday”
You don't understand. It's the 100th birthday of their IT system , not the airline.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DC Mike
Not impressed with BA right now.

Flight on AUH Flight has now disappeared from MMB entirely (not just in red) and my travel agency record online. No ability to rebook on any partner airline, meaning I'm looking at an extra £2,000 to rebook on non-partner airline to be able to make meetings in London and Abu Dhabi.

BA remorseless and unhelpful.
The disappearing flight is completely normal if there is a TA booking, strike or no strike, and it is only the TA that can fix it, there is no point calling BA about this unless you are within 24 hours of departure or there is a UuA at stake. Without going into the technicalities it's a way of streaming the job task to them. On the other hand the travel agency has at least the same options as BA's contact centres, may be more (by potentially comparing refunds against other fares) and will save you from spending a long time on the telephone trying to fix it. I know you are probably thinking all the rebooking options will have dried up by then, but in reality this is a relatively small amount of travel in the global aviation picture, so other options should be available to you.
mjh0 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Originally Posted by zanderblue
I have just received further emails from BA, rescinding earlier cancellation emails. This was for flights to AUS originating from INV first thing in the morning of the 11th.
We are on the same flight to Austin but starting in EDI hopefully the drama is over and we will be enjoying that flight on the 11th. First time to AUS not that we are staying there, off to Rapid City SD the following morning to drive all the way back down.
zanderblue likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:39 pm

I'm due to fly SAN-LHR on the 26th of Sep. I'm not clear if this would be considered the 27th since at departure time the date in the UK will be the 27th and will be the 27th at landing time.

I've not yet had any emails about cancellation so I'm not sure how far in advance people are being notified.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by blue_can
I'm due to fly SAN-LHR on the 26th of Sep. I'm not clear if this would be considered the 27th since at departure time the date in the UK will be the 27th and will be the 27th at landing time.

I've not yet had any emails about cancellation so I'm not sure how far in advance people are being notified.
They aren't giving much focus to the second strike date, by all accounts. However my guess is that your service will fact go ahead, since this will be regarded as a 26 September flight, not one for the strike day. If you want, you can change the date of the booking, but I think I would only do that if you had other pressing reasons for the change.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I’m booked to travel Rome-Heathrow-Newcastle on the 27th on a part Avios payment fare. I have to be back in Newcastle that day or the day after at the latest so I cannot leave Rome on the 29th. In MMB the flight is red marked potentially subject to disruption and I’ve had two emails from BA today saying they cannot confirm whether this flight will be cancelled for a few weeks but I want to get this sorted now if possible.

I think I have potentially three options:

1. Fly Rome-London City and then take the train home from Kings Cross.

2. Fly Rome-London City-Edinburgh and train home from Edinburgh.

3. Fly Aer Lingus Rome-Dublin, overnight and fly Stobart Air Dublin-Newcastle the next day.

What is the likelihood of BA forking out for train tickets from London or Edinburgh, or a hotel at Dublin Airport in these scenarios? Or can anyone think of any other ideas? Newcastle limited in terms of OneWorld obviously. There is a direct flight with Jet2 leaving the same day however it is about £250. I only paid £60 and Avios for my original flight so this would be a big hit.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They aren't giving much focus to the second strike date, by all accounts. However my guess is that your service will fact go ahead, since this will be regarded as a 26 September flight, not one for the strike day. If you want, you can change the date of the booking, but I think I would only do that if you had other pressing reasons for the change.
ok thanks for the feedback. I guess I will wait and see what happens - not essential I need to be in the UK on the 27th and I have some flexibility on the dates.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie_Flyer

2. Fly Rome-London City-Edinburgh and train home from Edinburgh.
This is what I would go for. If you want it sorted now, bearing in mind the chance of this not being a strike day at all, then you may to pay the train fare, but since that is £16 on advance booking that would be a fairly cheap insurance policy. If you can park your car at Morpeth then the £1 a day parking fee rather eclipses NCL Airport's avarice in this area. If you leave it until forced to act then BA should pay the train fare, the only issue would be if there was available space at that point or not.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So, on a whim I went into the "cancelled" booking and tried to pay to reserve a seat from my friend. Done. So they are now taking paid for reservations on a cancelled flight. I am now certain that this mail was sent in error.
I think BA let loose the famous IT intern yesterday, and whenever s/he gets going chaos reigns.

Its a shame BA have put so many passengers through an expensive regime of incompetence.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
My YVR-LHR in Y was cancelled, and now I'm pondering my options. All the one-stop AA connections seem very full. Do you think I can hold out and see if they'll offer a direct on another airline? I am a BA Gold FWIW.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
My YVR-LHR in Y was cancelled, and now I'm pondering my options. All the one-stop AA connections seem very full. Do you think I can hold out and see if they'll offer a direct on another airline? I am a BA Gold FWIW.
Crystal ball territory. My hunch is they may well add some more carriers, particularly if the money making routes (USA+Canada, South Africa, India) start to show congestion on rebooking options. If not, BA will be on the hook for extended hotel stays as well as cancellations rather than rebooking. Moreover BA can get mates rates with other airlines, if they are up for it. So financially it may make sense. They have done it on recent problem cases, I think Cairo had about 8 other airline (OAL) options at one point, which seemed over the top for a route which makes only a modest contribution to BA's profits.
Frayed_Yak likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
My experience, in case it helps anyone else. I have an AS award YVR-LHR (not on a strike day) and then LHR-AMS on Sept 10, for which I got the cancellation email yesterday. I called AS who predictably said it was up to BA to fix. Tried BA for 5 hours yesterday and gave up.

5am HNL time, I call BA and miraculously get put in the queue. After an hour, at 6am, I get an agent. He of course tells me I have to call AS as it is their ticket. I said they won’t do anything and can only rebook if there is award space and of course, there isn’t. Plus the AMS flight has disappeared from MMB. He finds two CE seats on Sept. 11 but still says AS has to reissue. I hold firm as I know BA would still have to open the award space as AS can’t book revenue tix on BA and I not giving up my agent to call back. Plus I don’t want to lose the YVR-LHR CW portion as AS would have to cancel and start over. He insists so I suggest we leave the booking as is and he just create a new one for the Sept 11 flights and ticket it. No can do. He keeps trying to get rid of me, to call AS. Finally, he agrees to call AS himself as I won’t go away and long story short-ish, 3 hours later, it is reticketed. He now agrees AS would never have done it just for me. So, if anyone else has an AS ticket, don’t let them fob you off. It still shows as coach on AS for now but they are working on that part and BA sees it as CE (not that I care for a one hour flight, frankly) and it shows thusly in MMB. So 6am-10:10am, 4 hours and 10 mins and one dead phone battery later.

So, one question. How can I actually view my eticket? It is on 027 stock. I just want to make sure it is all synced up properly. Or do I just call BA back in a week or so and make sure it all looks good on their end? I hear all these horror stories of out of sync tickets etc. and want to make sure all is in order.

Now off to book a hotel on BA’s dime.

Edit: my new flight is showing in red on MMB but hopefully nothing to worry about?

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 24, 2019 at 3:09 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sllee
Haha, dodgy email. 10SEP is definitely a strike day (unless called off). No departure from LHR-YVR on 10SEP, so no aircraft returning to LHR on 10SEP. (Same aircraft outbound/inbound with 2-ish hour turnaround.). I suspect it's another BA meltdown - trying to fix one problem, creates another.
Yep, my first thought was BA IT is back at it again! No way this flight is going out....I’ll wait another couple days to call again, but as an AS award ticket my hopes aren’t high they’ll be willing to do anything anyways. I might have to bite the bullet and just buy a Y ticket on klm or icelandair =(
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Finkface
My experience, in case it helps anyone else. I have an AS award YVR-LHR (not on a strike day) and then LHR-AMS on Sept 10, for which I got the cancellation email yesterday. I called AS who predictably said it was up to BA to fix. Tried BA for 5 hours yesterday and gave up.

5am HNL time, I call BA and miraculously get put in the queue. After an hour, at 6am, I get an agent. He of course tells me I have to call AS as it is their ticket. I said they won’t do anything and can only rebook if there is award space and of course, there isn’t. Plus the AMS flight has disappeared from MMB. He finds two CE seats on Sept. 11 but still says AS has to reissue. I hold firm as I know BA would still have to open the award space as AS can’t book revenue tix on BA and I not giving up my agent to call back. Plus I don’t want to lose the YVR-LHR CW portion as AS would have to cancel and start over. He insists so I suggest we leave the booking as is and he just create a new one for the Sept 11 flights and ticket it. No can do. He keeps trying to get rid of me, to call AS. Finally, he agrees to call AS himself as I won’t go away and long story short-ish, 3 hours later, it is reticketed. He now agrees AS would never have done it just for me. So, if anyone else has an AS ticket, don’t let them fob you off. It still shows as coach on AS for now but they are working on that part and BA sees it as CE (not that I care for a one hour flight, frankly) and it shows thusly in MMB. So 6am-10:10am, 4 hours and 10 mins and one dead phone battery later.

Thank you for this - I have yvr-Lhr-gla on AS award ticket and I gave up on BA after 5 hours yesterday too (the AS agent I got was really nice and actually called BA while I was on the line but we got booted off after 90 minutes of being on hold which was frustrating). I was going to give up but after your story I may give it another go tomorrow (with a fullly charged phone battery!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.