Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Further travel updates from BA Travel Trade at 15:03BST (bold words by mine seem to be newly added)

BALPA strike announcement - Customer Guidelines
Answer Id 7594 Updated 24/08/2019 03.03 PM (BST)
"Operational update on 24 August 2019 at 1345 hours (UK time)
  • Notification emails are being sent to customers booked on flights during the strike period. This includes some cancellations on 8th, 11th and 12th September due to crew rostering and positioning of aircraft. Please contact customers with rebooking options as we may have not been able to contact everyone impacted.
  • All PNRs are now updated with cancelled flights
  • Some customers may have been incorrectly notified that they flight has been cancelled, check the PNR, if showing HK status then the flight is scheduled to operate.
  • Customers who booked alternatives following incorrect notification that their flight was cancelled, can be rebooked back onto their original flight. If the same booking class is no longer available, please book the lowest available in the same cabin
  • UK&I Trade Support will be open between 0800-18:30 on Bank Holiday Monday (26 August)
  • We’ll contact customers who may be affected by industrial action on 27 September during the next few weeks."
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
Thanks CWS, i'd be happy without any refund and the TP's but appreciate that's unlikely, and whilst I have no real need for that sector alone guess ill bring it forward and do a quick tier point run to Gatwick and back one afternoon next week.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have a look at the wiki (see the section in bold there), and perhaps some of the recent posts in this thread, it is a mistake.
Thanks, still confused. This is what I see - red through the flight name/time but then still “world traveller, confirmed”
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks

Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I rarely book BA flights with someone besides BA, so needing to deal with AA and Propeller across separate tickets may raise some challenges. Note the reason it was booked this way is that it was impossible to book as a single ticket, and BA was unable to price up the ticket with the Croatia Airlines flight in the middle for the VIE-SPU segment.
Originally Posted by rapidex
Unfortunately BA wont touch these bookings. You need to call AA and your travel agent for help.
I just got through to the GGL line and they were happy to sort out a rebooking for my the return part of a trip booked through Propeller Travel (moved my return one day earlier and moved to a CPH-DOH/DOH-PEK routing - I lose part of the value of a GUF as no F cabin, but in the grand scheme of things no big deal).

My rebooking though was simply to fix a cancelled flight. I suspect rapidex is correct that BA won't want to do anything more complex with a TA booking than that, but maybe worth a call (I know that Propeller have a lot of customers with affected trips),
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BA
I had a Flight+Car with BA Holidays and my return leg BOS-LHR on BA202 10-Sep was cancelled (red and crossed out). Couldn't get onto phone hold so followed the instructions in the email from BA Holidays (which was my whole trip was being refunded) and rebooked a new trip with same dates with BOS-DUB-LHR replacing my canceled BOS-LHR. As instructed I submitted an email claim for the cost difference of over £5.5k (!). Am I putting too much faith in the system?

Second, my canceled leg was in First (UuA) but the replacement flight is Business (BOS-DUB) and Economy (DUB-LHR). Any way I can get compensation for the downgrade and if so, how?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King

Thanks, still confused. This is what I see - red through the flight name/time but then still “world traveller, confirmed”
In layman's term, if you see your flight not strikethrough, then the flight is still operating. The email was a mistake.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dylanks
EI does not fly to SPU on Sunday the 8th or Monday the 9th so it doesn't seem to be an option.

The September 8th cancellation may be a phantom cancellation where they sent out the email, but MMB only shows it in red with the warning about the strike, but it's not crossed out in MMB. Regardless if I leave that booking alone then my options look pretty limited from DUB.
OK, but there is an Aer Lingus flight from DUB to DBV on 9 September, I know that is 140 miles away, but at least it is a very pretty ride / car hire / taxi / hourly coach trip.

Your bigger challenge, which I wouldn't relish doing, is to persuade AA to rebook this. It is allowed under BA's advisory but unless you get an agent who vaguely knows how Europe sits together it may be a tricky one to implement. If all else fails the Aer Lingus service is only 88€ so you could keep it simple for AA by asking them to protect the rest of the booking - this should happen automatically anyway - reclaim the DUB-LHR-SPU after the event and you will probably make a profit on the flights. You could even try for the taxi fare too.
dylanks likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by marcolau317
In layman's term, if you see your flight not strikethrough, then the flight is still operating. The email was a mistake.
Sweet, it’s not strike through, and it’s still bookable online!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lewis King

See post 540, if it's like that then you are ok, which by the looks of it, you are too.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Some flights are red (with no strikethrough) for the days after the strikes. I am suspecting that BA considers these as "flying, but at risk of delays or cancellation"
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
May I thank c-w-s for his continuing and invaluable advice to everyone over the past hours (well years!) ... and his patience.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Some flights are red (with no strikethrough) for the days after the strikes. I am suspecting that BA considers these as "flying, but at risk of delays or cancellation"
It was shown red to indicate the flights are covered in the Customer Guidelines, allowing you to change the travel date even when flights are still operating.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by neofung
I tried to rebook online, and it just shows unable to do so ...
Snap on a simple MAN/LHR day return, can't do anything with it in MMB despite it being red for both sectors with 2 emails sat in my inbox telling me both cancelled.

Wants me to call up, that's not happening right now, sure there are people with much more complex rebooking requirements!

Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by marcolau317
It was shown red to indicate the flights are covered in the Customer Guidelines, allowing you to change the travel date even when flights are still operating.
Thanks - so when I stay a day longer in ADH, will they still cover my hotel costs?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
It's horribly confusing, as we are seeing from all the posts above. We have
1) Some genuinely cancelled (with MMB strike throughs). And these can be non strike days like 8 September.
2) Some flights vanishing from MMB (seemingly TA bookings which are cancelled)
3) Some fake cancellations (no strike through, typically for 8 or 12 September). No action required, just ignore the email.
4) Some non-fake, non-cancellations, just in case. These seem to be for and around the second lot of strikes due 27 September.

For 1 and 2 you have to take action. For 3 and 4 you could take action and move flights, but for 3 in particular there is no need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.