FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   17 year old passenger - do they know he’s under 18? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983878-17-year-old-passenger-do-they-know-he-s-under-18-a.html)

xPositor Aug 22, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by luitje (Post 31440633)
Isn't that perfectly legal for a minor to consume booze if under a supervision of someone over 18? At least that's how my pub interprets the law. On my recent flight a cabin crew asked a young lad whether he wanted water or juice, and then turned to his mother whilst saying "or champs?" Dude opted for a glass of water (a shame), but I thought cc handled it great.

Whilst eminently sensible, the landlord of your local pub is risking their licence. 16 and 17 year olds can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal in licensed premises, if accompanied by an adult. Below 16 and they're out of luck. More information here - https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law

Tobias-UK Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by xPositor (Post 31444124)
Whilst eminently sensible, the landlord of your local pub is risking their licence. 16 and 17 year olds can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal in licensed premises, if accompanied by an adult. Below 16 and they're out of luck. More information here - https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law

That’s correct for ‘Licensed Premises’ but aircraft (and UK airline lounges) do not fall under the provisions of the Licensing Act 2003 so the age 5 law applies.

SKRan Aug 22, 2019 9:56 am

How is “meal” defined? When I was 17, sometimes a meal just consists 2 bags of crisps and a coke. Would it be ok to have 2 bottles of wine then?

Tobias-UK Aug 22, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SKRan (Post 31444192)
How is “meal” defined? When I was 17, sometimes a meal just consists 2 bags of crisps and a coke. Would it be ok to have 2 bottles of wine then?

That wouldn’t cut it, s.150 states the exemption is for 16 and 17 year olds who are having a ‘table meal’.

KARFA Aug 22, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31443130)
I remember the days of half a dozen G&Ts on LHR-LBA in 1A UK domestic class. No ID there.

half a dozen? Is this like a William Hague 14 pints claim? :p

MSPeconomist Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeem (Post 31443654)
In the USA, minimum drinking age is a state law issue, which is only influenced by federal law; federal law withholds highway funds paid to the states if they don't set certain drinking age restrictions. There is no federal law regulating a national minimum drinking age. The states each have their own, nuanced take on when it's legal to serve and to whom (with parents, at a meal, not on Sundays, etc). At least one state left it to each individual county within the state. Regulating conduct aboard an interstate/international air carrier is the purview of federal law, which my 5-minute lexis search has determined is silent on the issue of a minimum age. Therefore, I am of the opinion that it is cultural expectations, not "federal reggalashuns," which lead to each individual US air carrier's rules on the service of alcoholic beverages in flight.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the individual flight attendant's choice to serve or not to serve, to enforce or not to enforce, just as not every bartender checks ID.

I suspect the bigger reason that (USA) airlines impose a uniform policy of no alcohol under 21, even if a parent is present and consents, is that it would be very difficult for FAs to know and properly interpret the laws of 50 states (plus DC, but there's no commercial airport in the district itself).

deeruck Aug 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31443706)
If you will please pardon the digression, the conjunction with this thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...k-daniels.html - reminds me of what is probably my favourite US alcohol fact: the Jack Daniel Distillery is located in Lynchburg in Moore County, Tennessee - which is a dry county.

I've only been there once. On a Sunday. So so sad. That fact was introduced half way round the tour :rolleyes: (It's only dry on Sunday).

I found this article on the website of record (sorry :p ) which had a spokesman from the CAA noting that there is no legal minimum age on flights.

rapidex Aug 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31444485)

You would be the expert on 14 pints I seem to remember:D

KARFA Aug 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31445188)
You would be the expert on 14 pints I seem to remember:D

not me these days. I think you are confusing me with @Jamier45 :p

rapidex Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31445201)

not me these days. I think you are confusing me with @Jamier45 :p

It seems to me both of you have missed flights for drink related reasons:D

Barnaby100 Aug 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31444485)

Worried that your LBA 4 bottles of champagne title may be at risk ?

Calchas Aug 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31444521)
I suspect the bigger reason that (USA) airlines impose a uniform policy of no alcohol under 21, even if a parent is present and consents, is that it would be very difficult for FAs to know and properly interpret the laws of 50 states (plus DC, but there's no commercial airport in the district itself).

As I understand, the states have no power to regulate behaviour on in-flight aircraft. The congress asserts exclusive jurisdiction through its interstate commerce powers.

SKRan Aug 22, 2019 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 31444381)

That wouldn’t cut it, s.150 states the exemption is for 16 and 17 year olds who are having a ‘table meal’.

So I’ll have to put the crisps onto a plate then :-P

cauchy Aug 23, 2019 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 31444176)

That’s correct for ‘Licensed Premises’ but aircraft (and UK airline lounges) do not fall under the provisions of the Licensing Act 2003 so the age 5 law applies.

What do UK train companies do? My understanding is that trains aren't licenced premises either (otherwise they'd have to provide free water and they definitely don't).

cauchy Aug 23, 2019 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31446431)
As I understand, the states have no power to regulate behaviour on in-flight aircraft. The congress asserts exclusive jurisdiction through its interstate commerce powers.

Except if it's a LAX to SFO or something within a state. Too confusing!