FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   17 year old passenger - do they know he’s under 18? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983878-17-year-old-passenger-do-they-know-he-s-under-18-a.html)

orchidrose12 Aug 21, 2019 5:21 am

17 year old passenger - do they know he’s under 18?

Previously been traveling with my son who’s 17 and has been offered glass champagne in CW. What information do the CC know about passengers? Would they know he’s under 18?

BrianLeahy Aug 21, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by orchidrose12 (Post 31439244)
Previously been traveling with my son who’s 17 and has been offered glass champagne in CW. What information do the CC know about passengers? Would they know he’s under 18?

As its BA UK law would apply, as the person is 16 or 17 and a meal service will be provided and the minor is not purchasing the drink then no legal issue. I always understood they have access to DOB but may be incorrect on that.

Richmond_Surrey Aug 21, 2019 5:30 am

They have access to DOB.

Calchas Aug 21, 2019 5:41 am

Originally Posted by orchidrose12 (Post 31439244)

I'm sure we can find a lawyer to correct me, but the aircraft is not a licensed premise, and the alcohol is not being purchased, so no minimum age applies for the consumption of it.

A seventeen year old sat with his parents is not likely to stir things up too much. Probably more responsible than a group of much-older-than-17 FTers.

orchidrose12 Aug 21, 2019 5:49 am

Thanks.

He hardly ever drinks but does like the occasional glass of champagne (expensive taste like his mother). Even with champagne he doesn’t drink a lot, and I’m a little relaxed about it but I wouldn’t want to get CC into trouble.

Most he would drink in a TATL CW flight is 2 glasses max

petez Aug 21, 2019 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31439279)
I'm sure we can find a lawyer to correct me, but the aircraft is not a licensed premise, and the alcohol is not being purchased, so no minimum age applies for the consumption of it.

Don't try that argument on AA - my 20 yr old son asked for beer and was then asked how old he was. He gave an honest answer, to which the reply was no, you are underage (we were on a TATL). I then asked for two beers and was given a very stern warning that there would be severe consequences if I attempted to give any to my son....

Barnaby100 Aug 21, 2019 6:18 am

I have also been told no age on an aircraft. Virgin.
They had just offered my 14 year old alcohol and my 17 year old. The 14 year old told them how old he was and that was the reply

TTmex Aug 21, 2019 6:29 am

My stepson looks 21, but was 17 on our recent holiday. He was asked both ways on our recent club world trip. He was denied alcohol on outward leg, but allowed on way back as he was then 18. But cc told me they are not allowed to serve under 18s. But not ever cc member checks.

UKtravelbear Aug 21, 2019 6:38 am

In general airlines will follow the law of the country they are registered in

So AA/DL/UA will (strictly) follow US law. BA and VS will follow UK Law. AF French law etc etc

On the ground they will follow applicable local laws so they respect that some middle east countries are 'dry' and won't serve alcohol on the ground as part of the PDB but will in the air (and depending on the country not even within the air space).

To suggest that drinking alcohol on a plane is some sort of free for all is wrong.

Calchas Aug 21, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by petez (Post 31439336)
Don't try that argument on AA - my 20 yr old son asked for beer and was then asked how old he was. He gave an honest answer, to which the reply was no, you are underage (we were on a TATL). I then asked for two beers and was given a very stern warning that there would be severe consequences if I attempted to give any to my son....

AA flight has US rules. [Although I think formally the US federal "special air jurisdiction" which applies to US aircraft in flight doesn't have alcohol laws, but all the US airlines have set policies in line with their cultural expectations.]

In the civilized world it would not be a problem. ;)

Can I help you Aug 21, 2019 7:00 am

We don’t have any information of the ages of any adults onboard, the only time this would be picked up is if they looked under 18.

Globaliser Aug 21, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31439487)
We don’t have any information of the ages of any adults onboard ...

By this, do you mean "adults" in the ticketing sense (ie over 12) or "adults" in the (UK) legal sense (ie over 18)?

Can I help you Aug 21, 2019 8:09 am

Correct, customers are split into adults, children and infants.

rapidex Aug 21, 2019 8:11 am

Young rapidex has been drinking since he was 16. Always polite and well behaved so I had no problem with it.

Tobias-UK Aug 21, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31439279)

A seventeen year old sat with his parents is not likely to stir things up too much. Probably more responsible than a group of much-older-than-17 FTers.

You called? :D

Under UK law (other than for medical reasons) it is illegal to provide alcohol to a child under the age of 5.

Calchas Aug 21, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31439713)
Young rapidex has been drinking since he was 16. Always polite and well behaved so I had no problem with it.

Ah, he must take after his mother? ;)

Tobias-UK Aug 21, 2019 8:29 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 31439411)
My stepson looks 21, but was 17 on our recent holiday. He was asked both ways on our recent club world trip. He was denied alcohol on outward leg, but allowed on way back as he was then 18. But cc told me they are not allowed to serve under 18s. But not ever cc member checks.

Your mistake, my dear friend, was to ask!

Jr Tobias-UK has been consuming alcohol (in moderation and under my supervision) on board aircraft (including AA) since he was 15!

stampcollector Aug 21, 2019 9:54 am

I was told once that the drinking age on an aircraft relates to the country the aircraft is registered in, but don't know if its enforceable or not

HomerJ Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am

Outside of the Excited States of America...no issue.
I was drinking on board by myself at 16 and 17 on Canadian and International airlines.
Nobody even asked.

Soupdragon62 Aug 21, 2019 11:12 am

Last flight with family, daughter aged 12 was offered a glass of PDB champagne, daughter thought it was a joke, said yes and got a glass - Which i enjoyed.

krispy84 Aug 21, 2019 11:18 am

Every cloud etc.

The next time I’m surrounded by little darlings, rather than grin and bear it, I’ll ask them to take a champagne PDB and share the wealth. 😁

luitje Aug 21, 2019 11:57 am

Isn't that perfectly legal for a minor to consume booze if under a supervision of someone over 18? At least that's how my pub interprets the law. On my recent flight a cabin crew asked a young lad whether he wanted water or juice, and then turned to his mother whilst saying "or champs?" Dude opted for a glass of water (a shame), but I thought cc handled it great.

Bellerina Aug 21, 2019 12:01 pm

If I had to guess, I would suspect US airlines don't serve minors (under 21) for insurance policy purposes (especially if their insurance is US based). I really have no idea, but every time I've seen US companies have policies that are more strict than what is legally allowed, it is because of insurance. All about the $$$

TTmex Aug 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 31439791)

Your mistake, my dear friend, was to ask!

Jr Tobias-UK has been consuming alcohol (in moderation and under my supervision) on board aircraft (including AA) since he was 15!

I didn't ask. They outright asked us for proof of his age before serving him. He was sat in 6K and us 7J/K and they came back to us and asked "excuse me, is that your son? if so, have you got proof of his age please? We're not allowed to serve under 18s".

I'd never ask myself. I remember trying to play it cool when I was 17, unfortunately I looked about 12 at the time

ppp909 Aug 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Unfortunately it's not one of those situations where you can say "I forgot my ID. I'm 18, honest." Not that that ever worked for me.

Calchas Aug 22, 2019 4:08 am

Originally Posted by ppp909 (Post 31440949)
Unfortunately it's not one of those situations where you can say "I forgot my ID. I'm 18, honest." Not that that ever worked for me.

I remember the days of half a dozen G&Ts on LHR-LBA in 1A UK domestic class. No ID there.

Sailbot3310 Aug 22, 2019 4:16 am

Originally Posted by stampcollector (Post 31440112)
I was told once that the drinking age on an aircraft relates to the country the aircraft is registered in, but don't know if its enforceable or not

This is what I was told on a VS flight when I was between 18-20. I wasn't allowed the welcome Champagne when on the ground, but the Cabin Crew bought me a glass the moment we were in the air and given that reasoning that when in the air it's the registered country but on the ground it's the physical country.

UKtravelbear Aug 22, 2019 5:28 am

Originally Posted by luitje (Post 31440633)
Isn't that perfectly legal for a minor to consume booze if under a supervision of someone over 18? At least that's how my pub interprets the law. On my recent flight a cabin crew asked a young lad whether he wanted water or juice, and then turned to his mother whilst saying "or champs?" Dude opted for a glass of water (a shame), but I thought cc handled it great.

that’s the position in the U.K. but some states in the US don’t permit it even if under parental supervision.

SkyTeem Aug 22, 2019 7:25 am

In the USA, minimum drinking age is a state law issue, which is only influenced by federal law; federal law withholds highway funds paid to the states if they don't set certain drinking age restrictions. There is no federal law regulating a national minimum drinking age. The states each have their own, nuanced take on when it's legal to serve and to whom (with parents, at a meal, not on Sundays, etc). At least one state left it to each individual county within the state. Regulating conduct aboard an interstate/international air carrier is the purview of federal law, which my 5-minute lexis search has determined is silent on the issue of a minimum age. Therefore, I am of the opinion that it is cultural expectations, not "federal reggalashuns," which lead to each individual US air carrier's rules on the service of alcoholic beverages in flight.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the individual flight attendant's choice to serve or not to serve, to enforce or not to enforce, just as not every bartender checks ID.

Globaliser Aug 22, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeem (Post 31443654)
The states each have their own, nuanced take on when it's legal to serve and to whom (with parents, at a meal, not on Sundays, etc). At least one state left it to each individual county within the state.

If you will please pardon the digression, the conjunction with this thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...k-daniels.html - reminds me of what is probably my favourite US alcohol fact: the Jack Daniel Distillery is located in Lynchburg in Moore County, Tennessee - which is a dry county.

xPositor Aug 22, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by luitje (Post 31440633)

Whilst eminently sensible, the landlord of your local pub is risking their licence. 16 and 17 year olds can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal in licensed premises, if accompanied by an adult. Below 16 and they're out of luck. More information here - https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law

Tobias-UK Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by xPositor (Post 31444124)
Whilst eminently sensible, the landlord of your local pub is risking their licence. 16 and 17 year olds can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal in licensed premises, if accompanied by an adult. Below 16 and they're out of luck. More information here - https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law

That’s correct for ‘Licensed Premises’ but aircraft (and UK airline lounges) do not fall under the provisions of the Licensing Act 2003 so the age 5 law applies.

SKRan Aug 22, 2019 9:56 am

How is “meal” defined? When I was 17, sometimes a meal just consists 2 bags of crisps and a coke. Would it be ok to have 2 bottles of wine then?

Tobias-UK Aug 22, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SKRan (Post 31444192)
How is “meal” defined? When I was 17, sometimes a meal just consists 2 bags of crisps and a coke. Would it be ok to have 2 bottles of wine then?

That wouldn’t cut it, s.150 states the exemption is for 16 and 17 year olds who are having a ‘table meal’.

KARFA Aug 22, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31443130)
I remember the days of half a dozen G&Ts on LHR-LBA in 1A UK domestic class. No ID there.

half a dozen? Is this like a William Hague 14 pints claim? :p

MSPeconomist Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeem (Post 31443654)
In the USA, minimum drinking age is a state law issue, which is only influenced by federal law; federal law withholds highway funds paid to the states if they don't set certain drinking age restrictions. There is no federal law regulating a national minimum drinking age. The states each have their own, nuanced take on when it's legal to serve and to whom (with parents, at a meal, not on Sundays, etc). At least one state left it to each individual county within the state. Regulating conduct aboard an interstate/international air carrier is the purview of federal law, which my 5-minute lexis search has determined is silent on the issue of a minimum age. Therefore, I am of the opinion that it is cultural expectations, not "federal reggalashuns," which lead to each individual US air carrier's rules on the service of alcoholic beverages in flight.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the individual flight attendant's choice to serve or not to serve, to enforce or not to enforce, just as not every bartender checks ID.

I suspect the bigger reason that (USA) airlines impose a uniform policy of no alcohol under 21, even if a parent is present and consents, is that it would be very difficult for FAs to know and properly interpret the laws of 50 states (plus DC, but there's no commercial airport in the district itself).

deeruck Aug 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31443706)
If you will please pardon the digression, the conjunction with this thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...k-daniels.html - reminds me of what is probably my favourite US alcohol fact: the Jack Daniel Distillery is located in Lynchburg in Moore County, Tennessee - which is a dry county.

I've only been there once. On a Sunday. So so sad. That fact was introduced half way round the tour :rolleyes: (It's only dry on Sunday).

I found this article on the website of record (sorry :p ) which had a spokesman from the CAA noting that there is no legal minimum age on flights.

rapidex Aug 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31444485)

half a dozen? Is this like a William Hague 14 pints claim? :p

You would be the expert on 14 pints I seem to remember:D

KARFA Aug 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31445188)
You would be the expert on 14 pints I seem to remember:D

not me these days. I think you are confusing me with @Jamier45 :p

rapidex Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31445201)

not me these days. I think you are confusing me with @Jamier45 :p

It seems to me both of you have missed flights for drink related reasons:D