FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   17 year old passenger - do they know he’s under 18? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983878-17-year-old-passenger-do-they-know-he-s-under-18-a.html)

orchidrose12 Aug 21, 2019 5:21 am

17 year old passenger - do they know he’s under 18?

Previously been traveling with my son who’s 17 and has been offered glass champagne in CW. What information do the CC know about passengers? Would they know he’s under 18?

BrianLeahy Aug 21, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by orchidrose12 (Post 31439244)
Previously been traveling with my son who’s 17 and has been offered glass champagne in CW. What information do the CC know about passengers? Would they know he’s under 18?

As its BA UK law would apply, as the person is 16 or 17 and a meal service will be provided and the minor is not purchasing the drink then no legal issue. I always understood they have access to DOB but may be incorrect on that.

Richmond_Surrey Aug 21, 2019 5:30 am

They have access to DOB.

Calchas Aug 21, 2019 5:41 am

Originally Posted by orchidrose12 (Post 31439244)

I'm sure we can find a lawyer to correct me, but the aircraft is not a licensed premise, and the alcohol is not being purchased, so no minimum age applies for the consumption of it.

A seventeen year old sat with his parents is not likely to stir things up too much. Probably more responsible than a group of much-older-than-17 FTers.

orchidrose12 Aug 21, 2019 5:49 am

Thanks.

He hardly ever drinks but does like the occasional glass of champagne (expensive taste like his mother). Even with champagne he doesn’t drink a lot, and I’m a little relaxed about it but I wouldn’t want to get CC into trouble.

Most he would drink in a TATL CW flight is 2 glasses max

petez Aug 21, 2019 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31439279)
I'm sure we can find a lawyer to correct me, but the aircraft is not a licensed premise, and the alcohol is not being purchased, so no minimum age applies for the consumption of it.

Don't try that argument on AA - my 20 yr old son asked for beer and was then asked how old he was. He gave an honest answer, to which the reply was no, you are underage (we were on a TATL). I then asked for two beers and was given a very stern warning that there would be severe consequences if I attempted to give any to my son....

Barnaby100 Aug 21, 2019 6:18 am

I have also been told no age on an aircraft. Virgin.
They had just offered my 14 year old alcohol and my 17 year old. The 14 year old told them how old he was and that was the reply

TTmex Aug 21, 2019 6:29 am

My stepson looks 21, but was 17 on our recent holiday. He was asked both ways on our recent club world trip. He was denied alcohol on outward leg, but allowed on way back as he was then 18. But cc told me they are not allowed to serve under 18s. But not ever cc member checks.

UKtravelbear Aug 21, 2019 6:38 am

In general airlines will follow the law of the country they are registered in

So AA/DL/UA will (strictly) follow US law. BA and VS will follow UK Law. AF French law etc etc

On the ground they will follow applicable local laws so they respect that some middle east countries are 'dry' and won't serve alcohol on the ground as part of the PDB but will in the air (and depending on the country not even within the air space).

To suggest that drinking alcohol on a plane is some sort of free for all is wrong.

Calchas Aug 21, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by petez (Post 31439336)
Don't try that argument on AA - my 20 yr old son asked for beer and was then asked how old he was. He gave an honest answer, to which the reply was no, you are underage (we were on a TATL). I then asked for two beers and was given a very stern warning that there would be severe consequences if I attempted to give any to my son....

AA flight has US rules. [Although I think formally the US federal "special air jurisdiction" which applies to US aircraft in flight doesn't have alcohol laws, but all the US airlines have set policies in line with their cultural expectations.]

In the civilized world it would not be a problem. ;)

Can I help you Aug 21, 2019 7:00 am

We don’t have any information of the ages of any adults onboard, the only time this would be picked up is if they looked under 18.

Globaliser Aug 21, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31439487)
We don’t have any information of the ages of any adults onboard ...

By this, do you mean "adults" in the ticketing sense (ie over 12) or "adults" in the (UK) legal sense (ie over 18)?

Can I help you Aug 21, 2019 8:09 am

Correct, customers are split into adults, children and infants.

rapidex Aug 21, 2019 8:11 am

Young rapidex has been drinking since he was 16. Always polite and well behaved so I had no problem with it.

Tobias-UK Aug 21, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31439279)

A seventeen year old sat with his parents is not likely to stir things up too much. Probably more responsible than a group of much-older-than-17 FTers.

You called? :D

Under UK law (other than for medical reasons) it is illegal to provide alcohol to a child under the age of 5.