Wiki Posts
Search

Avios redeposit for "trip in vain"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Avios redeposit for "trip in vain"?

I transferred some Amex MR points into 15000 Avios back in May, before the devaluation, to book an AA domestic flight from DCA-STL. I was planning on flying to St. Louis at 1135 this morning to attend tonight's Cardinals baseball game, then fly back home to DCA at 0730 tomorrow--so less than 24 hour turnaround.

Of course, as soon as I park my car in the garage at DCA this morning around 1015, I get a text from AA that my flight is cancelled...so I rebook on the AA app for the next flight to STL at 1435 and go back to the office for a couple of hours. Then, back at DCA for the later flight, we board, push back from the gate early, and then return to the gate after sitting for 2 hours. Thunderstorms had popped up over our entire route, so we weren't going anywhere for a while. By 1730, I give up and go to the customer service desk on the concourse; I ask the agent to cancel my reservation as it's a "trip in vain" - no point in me traveling to STL and coming back 12 hours later if I'm going to miss the whole purpose of my trip. She gladly removed both the outbound and return segments from my PNR, and as I was walking out of the airport I get a text that the flight has cancelled.

I suppose I'm lucky, but I've flown dozens of same-day or <24 hour domestic turnarounds on just about every US airline over the years, and this is the first trip in vain I've ever had using an award ticket. If I call BA, will they redeposit my Avios in this type of scenario, or allow me to reschedule for another date or destination? I have a feeling this may be a more complicated process than it should be, since I'm redeeming BA miles for an AA operated flight. Anyone have experience with a "trip in vain" using Avios?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Sorry to hear you missed the game. I think it should still be straightforward. You booked the ticket with BA so you need to request a cancellation and refund from BA. You should receive the full Avios and tax back on the basis that your outbound flight was cancelled. The part about the trip in vain isn't relevant. As your outbound was cancelled you are permitted a full refund.
KeaneJohn and wahooflyer like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad
Sorry to hear you missed the game. I think it should still be straightforward. You booked the ticket with BA so you need to request a cancellation and refund from BA. You should receive the full Avios and tax back on the basis that your outbound flight was cancelled. The part about the trip in vain isn't relevant. As your outbound was cancelled you are permitted a full refund.
i would think so too but it still helps if the aa agent put the right notes in the booking which she hopefully did.
golfmad and wahooflyer like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Wow, that was easy. I called BAEC on the UK number this morning (no hold time) and explained to the agent what happened. Took less than two minutes for her to refund the 15000 Avios and they are already back in my account. The $11.20 in taxes will also be refunded to my Amex. She was not able to rebook for another date, only refund the miles.

Of course, when I do rebook a US domestic trip with these miles, it's going to cost 18000 Avios after the devaluation, but still a decent redemption for me.
orbitmic and golfmad like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.