Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlisted in lower cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Waitlisted in lower cabin

Booked a ticket J down F back as the flight was F1 J0. TA, presumably due to policy, has waitlisted the return in J. What’s the best way to decrease the chance it clears and downgrades me?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:00 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
What's the chance of you being fired if your employer were to find out you were trying to manipulate the system?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
What's the chance of you being fired if your employer were to find out you were trying to manipulate the system?
that wasn’t really a constructive response?
LCY8737, IAMORGAN, PAL62V and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I used to get this quite frequently. In my experience, I nearly always ended up in J. Sometimes it was resolved at the airport not long before the flight. There are a raft of questions about Co policy, BA policy, quality of customer and etc., but don't raise your hopes too high!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PGFlyer85

that wasn’t really a constructive response?
Why wouldn't you want to save your company money?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Why wouldn't you want to save your company money?
isnt that a slippery slope? The same question could be asked if I stayed in a Fairfield Inn rather than a Motel 6?

But many reasons:
(1) wear and tear on body from 12k miles and two red eyes in three nights vs poor quality of BA J and risk of a middle seat if downgraded at the last minute
(2) it’s client chargeable so doesn’t effect my employer
(3) already waiving travel time costs (20k gbp at least - something that potentially hits my personal comp) so spending a bit more to be comfortable doesn’t bother me

RoyalSwazi, PAL62V, ttama and 1 others like this.

Last edited by PGFlyer85; Aug 20, 2019 at 9:02 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85

(2) it’s client chargeable so doesn’t effect my employer
LOL. This is what I call a truly "customer centric" approach.
CoweyB, awayIgo, Crismyth and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing you can do to make this more or less likely to happen.

I am not certain why your employer won't permit the travel in F/J if the client has authorized it and does not, as part of the authorization, require waitlisting for steerage.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry, if the travel policy is J+ and there is no sensible alternative then why the hell not?

The occasional Y or premium flight is fine; but if you are travelling long haul monthly or more for work then it becomes a health and safety issue. (Yes, people do it, but it doesn't mean that it's wise or productive).

Travel time costs of 20k seems like a hell of a lot - let's be generous and assume that's a daily rate of 4k, which is huge for consultancy, so I doubt the cash difference is an issue. Obviously if the policy is travel in J and we're talking about flying on the 7.30 vs. the 8.10 out of JFK then it's ridiculous but on those daily rates, I'm sure the premium for F is worth it vs. a connection or even a bad timing for jetlag.
ttama likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I’m amazed that full J fares are permitted on a modern corp travel policy, let alone confirming one class up instead of one class down, regardless of who is settling the bill.

I would be surprised if the waitlist doesn’t clear and am not aware of any workaround to prevent you being confirmed in J if it does.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Robespierre
I’m amazed that full J fares are permitted on a modern corp travel policy
Why?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why?
Because the cost is typically twice that of a discount J Fare or a flexible indirect routing.

Last edited by Robespierre; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:30 am Reason: Off topic so decluttering
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Robespierre

Because the cost is typically twice that of a discount J Fare or a flexible indirect routing.

I am seeing more an more of my competitor companies downgrading to W/J except for C-Suite. Full J is seen as little different to discount F in my company from a cost control point of view.
Many companies have Y only travel policies (or W in some cases), and they still often require purchasing full fare tickets because travel plans often change. Can you imagine the disappointment of those travelling knowing that some people in W/J paid less then them?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 am

My real surprise was that someone had a policy of being confirmed in the class above the waitlisted J cabin rather than below it. First time I have seen this. Obviously if it clears then it will be full fare J bucket but that is not really the point here.

Last edited by Robespierre; Aug 20, 2019 at 12:16 pm Reason: Off topic so decluttering
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP could confirm this, but it sounds to me as though the policy is Y, but an exception has been made because Y is not available and OP's travel is sufficiently important as to justify an exception. But, should a Y seat open up, OP will be rebooked into Y.

Whether travel in F/J is a good or a bad idea is irrelevant to this discussion as the travel policy is already set. The ROI and other merits of employer-paid premium travel are the subject of many other threads.

Last edited by Often1; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.