Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I be having a dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alex67500
I've been eyeing that one for a while. Bit of a train geek so I would. To avoid polluting the thread can you PM your thoughts?
Flyertalk does have a very special corner for Amtrak, believe it or not. And a brand new Moderator who is a real enthusiast for rail travel in the USA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtr...t-rewards-399/
Geordie405 and alex67500 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
If you were planning to go to Miami anyway, then jump at the deal.

If you were not ....... then it sounds like a waste of £2.5K just to sit in a metal tube for several hours !

Only you can decide whether it’s actually worthwhile. But please at least be aware that an F class seat on BA (or indeed on any airline) is not some seventh wonder of the world.
nivsy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
This is a personal question, as we don't know your finances, desires aversions or aspirations.

Having flow BA F a few times I would only fly it if it was the same price or cheaper than CW, so for me I wouldn't go somewhere just to fly BA F. If you'll never miss £2.5k and don't have an aversion to MIA then you could book it. I personally find it too hot and muggy at this time of year, but I don't like heat or beaches.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's an excellent value. But as someone else said, do check the hotel cost, 'cause then it may not be a value anymore.

I'm a sucker for a bargain. That's about all it takes for me to go somewhere new. Miami can be exciting, but stressful. Traffic is horrible; you might as well be in Cairo. (Well, maybe not that bad.)

My philosophy these days as I approach retirement is: will I say after this trip--which I got a great deal on--"Gee, I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on that?" Typically, the answer is, "No."
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:34 pm

I guess this really boils down to: How much pleasure do you get out of flying itself? How much pleasure do you get out of snatching a "bargain"?

Personally, I fly more than enough as it is and would much rather spend any given free hour in the comfort of my own home than on any plane*. Your perfect idea of free time may well be different from mine.

TL;DR: Only you can answer this question for yourself.

(* Possible exception for airlines that serve vintage Krug in F...)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I have no answer but like the concept of a dilemma over whether to have a dilemma. A meta-dilemma, perhaps.
I suppose a dilemma as to whether you have a dilemma ultimately ends up as a trilemma...

Option 1 - There's no dilemma
Option 2 - There is a dilemma - Dilemma option A
Option 3 - There is a dilemma - Dilemma option B
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When would OP be going to Miami? It can be hot and humid in the summer, but at other times would be a great escape from London weather. OTOH, winter tends to be high season for hotel rates and availability. Also, how long would the stay in Florida be? With a car, I'd think about driving through the Everglades and down to Key West if you've never done this.

Depending on how much time you have and how much driving you're willing to do, spending most of a day at Kennedy Space Center is very worthwhile. I also have enjoyed going to Gaterland, a zoo focusing on alligators and crocs, even though it sounds touristic. Near there are some boat tours through a very pleasant canal system, IIRC in Winter Park. You might also enjoy seeing Palm Beach.

I'd do it, but not just to turnaround and return to the UK in FC.
dddc and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
NO - You do have a dilemma?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
It's not complicated in my mind - If you can afford it and fancy it then do it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:10 pm

Let your other half decide....I've learnt my lesson after dragging mine to Bangkok for a week because the EK fare from GLA was a 'bargain'. I had honestly forgotten we had spent a week in Bangkok until she reminded of it the other week.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Let your other half decide....I've learnt my lesson after dragging mine to Bangkok for a week because the EK fare from GLA was a 'bargain'. I had honestly forgotten we had spent a week in Bangkok until she reminded of it the other week.
Can we assume that she reminded you not in a good way? What did you do there? Normally a week in Bangkok would be a good thing for someone from the northern part of the UK.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we assume that she reminded you not in a good way?
Can't even admit to that. If she didn't show me photos of us being there I would have been none the wiser. I've been again since for one night and don't remember that either.
nivsy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
c £2.5k for my OH and I to MIA and return in F including a car.
Don't particularly need TP. No particular need to go to MIA, but haven't been in First yet.
Is it a no brainer?
to me it’s a no brainer in a negative sense in that I’d pick trips based on where I either need or want to go, not on where I’d sit on the way however enjoyable. I wouldn’t even pay £2500 to sit in the far superior AF P to somewhere I needn’t and don’t want to go, let alone on ba F. Ultimately, there is a lot one can do with £2500.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Thanks for you replies so far.

I didn't say I didn't want to go to MIA, just no particular requirement.
you didn’t suggest you wanted to either - do you? That seems like a much bigger and more important question that whether to go in ba f or not.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Have you been to Miami before? Personally I think it is well worth a visit. Not sure which dates you have, but obviously the weather is nearly always good. The Latin feel of the city is something I like, especially as I'm bilingual English-Spanish, thus the latter is useful to connect with people in Miami and really understand more about how life is there.

You can walk down the South Beach, take in a Miami Heat or Dolphins game (depending on the season) and head out for some water sports. Food is adventurous for the typical American palate (no offence intended) with lot of Latin and Carribean options, many spicy, on offer. Plenty of hip bars and restaurants to hang out in in the evening, or a good streetfood offering if that's your thing. If you have the car, well you can take the turnpike up towards Orlando (parks) or towards the Everglades (take a airboat tour). Cape Canaveral is a bit of a longer drive, but equally doable. Just make sure you take a good spotify list for the Turnpike, there is nothing to see for 2 hours except fields.

As for airport, I personally hate the terminal, but once you're in the Flagship lounge you can forget about the noise outside. I'm almost positive BA passengers can navigate to it landside. I've only ever gone in while flying AA.

Hope that helps you make a choice
Tredders likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.