FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Should I be having a dilemma? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983139-should-i-having-dilemma.html)

w3andw4d Aug 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Should I be having a dilemma?

c £2.5k for my OH and I to MIA and return in F including a car.
Don't particularly need TP. No particular need to go to MIA, but haven't been in First yet.
Is it a no brainer?

Airprox Aug 15, 2019 1:29 pm

No...you should not be having a dilema.
Yes...it is a no brainer.

Hubbabridge Aug 15, 2019 1:34 pm

I don't think spending £2.5k on something you don't need or want is a dilemma, just so you can sit in F on BA.
Don't do it. Spend the money on something more tangibly enjoyable.

Lefly Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

If the expense isn't an issue for you... why not.

There are people that spend big amounts on cars or electronic gadgets, while other like premium travels.
To each his own.

UKtravelbear Aug 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Why fly somewhere you son;t particularly want to go just because (a) you can fly in F and (b) it's cheap fare.

Geordie405 Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge (Post 31420215)
Spend the money on something more tangibly enjoyable.

What defines what is tangibly enjoyable? That's a pretty subjective question and I have no doubt that the answers will vary. For me, I spent $1k over the 4th July holiday weekend to take Amtrak's "Texas Eagle" train from LA to Chicago, leaving on Wednesday and arriving on the Saturday. Some people might think that four days on a train is bonkers. For me, it was a really enjoyable trip. Each to their own.

For the OP, if you can afford it and it makes you happy then I'd agree that it's a no brainer. Travel broadens the mind and all that jazz :)

w3andw4d Aug 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31420228)
Why fly somewhere you son;t particularly want to go just because (a) you can fly in F and (b) it's cheap fare.

Thanks for you replies so far.

I didn't say I didn't want to go to MIA, just no particular requirement.

wemyss Aug 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Go for the earliest flight to arrive MIA early afternnon to avoid the "lines" is my tip...

PxC Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm

This is obviously a personal decision.

I used to a GUF2 (upgrade to F) for the return segment LAS-LAX-LHR and I regretted oaying the extra £300 for it as soon as I paid. A bed is an understandable upgrade, whereas the few benefits of First (many of which are comparible to business class on QR or Oman) are not worth £300 at all (for me in my personal opinion) and it was a can I didn't need to open. It was nice, but certainly not needed. These forums, loyalty clubs, sales... it all draws us to strive for a better experience but that doesn't mean its the best choice.

Ldnn1 Aug 15, 2019 1:57 pm

I have no answer but like the concept of a dilemma over whether to have a dilemma. A meta-dilemma, perhaps.

Krisz Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by w3andw4d (Post 31420246)
Thanks for you replies so far.

I didn't say I didn't want to go to MIA, just no particular requirement.

personally I don’t think BA F is that special. Most of the time it’s good but it is not something like other airlines offer in their F product which can be 5x better in every aspect. BA F is a slightly enhanced J product. I wouldn’t spend that money if I were you. A good restaurant maybe a nice weekend off in the countryside would be much more valuable and would cost fraction of the price. At least for me.

saint_em Aug 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Maybe look at the price of hotels in Florida before deciding... Miami is incredibly expensive in my experience and driving isn't exactly fun round there (plus you can't drink on the plane if you're getting straight into a car, and that's most of the fun of F).

alex67500 Aug 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 31420235)
What defines what is tangibly enjoyable? That's a pretty subjective question and I have no doubt that the answers will vary. For me, I spent $1k over the 4th July holiday weekend to take Amtrak's "Texas Eagle" train from LA to Chicago, leaving on Wednesday and arriving on the Saturday. Some people might think that four days on a train is bonkers. For me, it was a really enjoyable trip. Each to their own.

For the OP, if you can afford it and it makes you happy then I'd agree that it's a no brainer. Travel broadens the mind and all that jazz :)

I've been eyeing that one for a while. Bit of a train geek so I would. To avoid polluting the thread can you PM your thoughts?

anniegray Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm

I do stuff like that all the time.
We usually visit the Keys if we fly to Miami, then back up for shopping

FlyerTalker688786 Aug 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Spend the money on a relaxing cruise with a premium cruising company, 70% chance is that you will never look back.