Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Pilot Strike - What does Balpa want?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Agent69
So does a bus driver, but they don't get £100k a year.
From a transport comparison, and purely out of interest, I wonder what a train driver or cruise ship/Cross Channel ferry captain earn.... Both carrying many more PX than any plane.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Agent69
So nobody has ever been killed while travelling on a bus?
Seem to recall a National Express decker landing on its side not so long ago.....
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by AlanA
realiy?
Inflation is running at 1.8%

its more than our company is paying (3,1%) over the next two years and as I pay for my own flights, not, as many on here get, company paid, why should I support such massive pay increases which will inevitably hit my picket? Or the many armed service Personnell, or NHS and Local government workers?
perhaps they should tax businesses more for their company bought flights....lol

Yep, let's go and tax everything that doesn't suit one's own agenda. I don't think you should try and compare government employees (which all of the three listed are) and commercial pilots. Commercial pilots are in high demand, so they hold most of the cards.

Might be worth talking to your employer because if you only getting a 3.1% rase over the next two years, your real wages will be 0.5% lower in 2 years compared to now.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Would a large influx of a new type (say, for example, a consignment of new 737whatevertheyrenowcallednotmax's) arriving into the fleet prompt a round of DE skipper hirings?
Simply put,no. It would require every F/O who is suitable to be promoted. There is simply not enough simulator time or trainers available to achieve that in a short space of time.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:11 pm

Location: Mainly East but sometimes South and occasionally West
Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander
I understand this to mean that you are not guaranteed, or even likely to pass, simply for how long you've been sitting in the right seat of an aircraft with a Chatham Dockyard tail.

I understand it to mean when you get to take the course, you pass if you demonstrate the skills and aptitudes of a commander - however long you've been a First Officer.
Having just passed the course (and previously been in the RAF) I can say that it’s the hardest course I have done.
trooper, flatlander, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Wandered

Having just passed the course (and previously been in the RAF) I can say that it’s the hardest course I have done.
Congratulations. You'll love it.
Sealink, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Wandered

Congratulations. I hope you get the pay rise you deserve.^
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlanA

its more than our company is paying (3,1%) over the next two years ...
Sounds as though your union isn't doing a very good job.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
BALPA love their Seniority rules. It is a bit like the Craft TUs from the 1950s, or the ancient Scottish tradition of the "Turn list".
There is no objective reason for the Pilots turn list.
They just like it. The senior ones especially.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by flatlander
I understand this to mean that you are not guaranteed, or even likely to pass, simply for how long you've been sitting in the right seat of an aircraft with a Chatham Dockyard tail.

I understand it to mean when you get to take the course, you pass if you demonstrate the skills and aptitudes of a commander - however long you've been a First Officer.
Am I right in thinking that even if you don’t pass the course you still carry on going up the FO pay spines? Thus costing more money despite not being no more useful to the company.

I know at least one BA SFO who has not intention of ever taking the course as he has much greater work roster choice at the top of the FO seniority than he would have as a junior Captain. He is presumably happy with pay differential.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:36 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Why not? Ryanair has an amazing safety record. They are the sole major airline to have never suffered a fatality.
Qantas, 100 years old, kept flying through WWII, flown every almost every plane made until the end of their lifespan, wide and narrow body fleet, short hual and long operations, several records for the world’s longest routes... never suffered a hull loss or fatal accident.

An Australian would probably spit in your face for claiming that title for that mentally unstable Irishman’s fleet of puddle jumping 737s... and rightfully so.

Pascoe likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

Am I right in thinking that even if you don’t pass the course you still carry on going up the FO pay spines? Thus costing more money despite not being no more useful to the company.

I know at least one BA SFO who has not intention of ever taking the course as he has much greater work roster choice at the top of the FO seniority than he would have as a junior Captain. He is presumably happy with pay differential.
there are many reasons for this- we have a good friend who is a Jetstar 787 first officer (=SFO at BA) who has repeatedly declined offers of command course. His reason- basing (as he would have to move to Sydney as a junior captain). Granted BA doesn’t have that specific issue but there are plenty of people who do things that outwardly appear strange but actually have decent strategy behind it

I don’t know that i’d say an FO that fails a command course is necessarily no more useful to the company either. Some people are perfectly adequate right hand seat occupants but not suited to command for a variety of reasons

Originally Posted by amt

Qantas, 100 years old, kept flying through WWII, flown every almost every plane made until the end of their lifespan, wide and narrow body fleet, short hual and long operations, several records for the world’s longest routes... never suffered a hull loss or fatal accident.

An Australian would probably spit in your face for claiming that title for that mentally unstable Irishman’s fleet of puddle jumping 737s... and rightfully so.
Qantas 1 (in Bangkok) WAS a hull loss. However the company paid an inordinate amount of money to have the plane fixed and returned to line in order to maintain the “no hull losses in the jet age” line

There’s plenty that have genuinely had no hull losses or fatalities but choose not to make anything of it, which I would suggest is wise
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by nancypants
there are many reasons for this- we have a good friend who is a Jetstar 787 first officer (=SFO at BA) who has repeatedly declined offers of command course. His reason- basing (as he would have to move to Sydney as a junior captain). Granted BA doesn’t have that specific issue but there are plenty of people who do things that outwardly appear strange but actually have decent strategy behind it

I don’t know that i’d say an FO that fails a command course is necessarily no more useful to the company either. Some people are perfectly adequate right hand seat occupants but not suited to command for a variety of reasons

Qantas 1 (in Bangkok) WAS a hull loss. However the company paid an inordinate amount of money to have the plane fixed and returned to line in order to maintain the “no hull losses in the jet age” line

There’s plenty that have genuinely had no hull losses or fatalities but choose not to make anything of it, which I would suggest is wise
Yes, very true examples, What I was maybe getting at was that unlike a lot of professions, the usefulness of of the pilot to the company increases only at distinct steps (JFO-SFO-Cpt-Trg Cpt etc) whereas in a lot of professions the time served can make significant differences whilst nominally being at the same level in the company. I totally understand there needs to be a retention system but it is interesting that instead of a 'rate for the job' in BA there is a big difference based on time served. Note, I am not making any judgement here, just observations on some of the quirks of the system.

I agree on QF1, totally should have been written off but guess both Airbus and Qantas didn't want that!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: QF WP

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Yes, very true examples, What I was maybe getting at was that unlike a lot of professions, the usefulness of of the pilot to the company increases only at distinct steps (JFO-SFO-Cpt-Trg Cpt etc) whereas in a lot of professions the time served can make significant differences whilst nominally being at the same level in the company. I totally understand there needs to be a retention system but it is interesting that instead of a 'rate for the job' in BA there is a big difference based on time served. Note, I am not making any judgement here, just observations on some of the quirks of the system.

I agree on QF1, totally should have been written off but guess both Airbus and Qantas didn't want that!
if they asked airbus to repair a 747 that might explain why it cost so much 😉
wrp96 and Saltire74 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants

if they asked airbus to repair a 747 that might explain why it cost so much ��
Haha, doh!!! Sorry, my bad, I was thinking QF32, which should also have been a hull loss!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.