Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Pilot Strike - What does Balpa want?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

BA Pilot Strike - What does Balpa want?

BA says its offering 11.5% increase over three years. Seems fair/generous to me. A guaranteed salary increase of that much over three years is far from the norm for most of the public.

But what does Balpa want? Do they have a figure in mind or just using dramatics to milk as much as they can?

P.S. This is how you do "no deal" negotiations.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
A bonus or ideally a profit share scheme.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
BA says its offering 11.5% increase over three years. Seems fair/generous to me. A guaranteed salary increase of that much over three years is far from the norm for most of the public.

But what does Balpa want? Do they have a figure in mind or just using dramatics to milk as much as they can?

P.S. This is how you do "no deal" negotiations.

Well when they see the airline having crazy profits yet still acting like it is about to go bankrupt tomorrow, then obviously staff + passengers can get a little annoyed.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
restoration of the pay cuts staff (not just pilots) took after 9/11 and the financial crash that BA said would be restored when things were better for the company financially.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
The flight deck cheese tray back
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
mo money mo problems.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
.. the airline having crazy profits yet still acting like it is about to go bankrupt tomorrow ..
One could argue that one begets the other...
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Well, this thread could save Alex and Willie a few bob on ACAS fees...
TheRealBabushka and no2blues like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:06 pm

Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA
11.5% over 3 years isn’t really worth getting out of bed for when you consider inflation.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
restoration of the pay cuts staff (not just pilots) took after 9/11 and the financial crash that BA said would be restored when things were better for the company financially.
I have little knowledge of the intricacies of this dispute, but reference pre-9/11 pay, a return to the status quo ante appears unrealistic given the time elapsed and state of aviation today.

Profit sharing is viable, and more likely IMHO.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by krispy84

I have little knowledge of the intricacies of this dispute, but reference pre-9/11 pay, a return to the status quo ante appears unrealistic given the time elapsed and state of aviation today.
Post 2008, staff took pay cuts with the promise that the cuts would be reversed when the airline was in better shape financially. To date, the cuts have not been reversed,so that staff are not back to where they were in 2008. Basically they want to be "made whole" as was promised.
TPJ, T8191, cosmo74 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
It all feels so familiar for BA. Just as they start committing cash investment on the passenger experience other pressures come to the boil.

The funding of the 78X, the 350-1000, the 77X and then the large 777replacment order plus the roll our of the new CWS will need a lot of profit to support the borrowing needed and of course part fund that capital investment from profit cash.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if the capex budget gets squeezed and the time lines for the customer investment extended.

I don't begrudge the BA staff a decent living. But since 2008 the customer has equalled suffered cut backs in service quality and product
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
To the lay public 11.5 % over 3 years seems huge

you could put parallels with the NHS which has had years of pay freezes and are suddenly excited by a 2.5 % pay rise

Dont BA pilots earn a lot more than other british airlines?

I do agree though, BA have been tight with staff and passengers for a number if years, hence the profit

What are cabin crew asking for?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I thought money was just the headline grabbing issue? My understanding was there were concerns over reduced time down route potentially causing safety issues and also a move to lower grade hotels amongst other things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.