Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spilling Tea...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Spilling Tea...

Is this a phenomenon that just afflicts me?

I am quite often down the back in EuroTraveller these days (as a GCH on a flight of an hour, its difficult to justify Club), and I have succumbed to BoB and frequently treat myself to a cup of tea and some jaffa cakes. But, the new paper cups and plastic lids, whilst a decent size, do seem to leak as you drink from them leaving a few tea coloured spots on your shirt.

Is this unique to me? Or am I clumsy/doing something wrong?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
I had the exact same the other day. As I wasnt planning on taking the cup off the plane with me I solved it by taking the lid off and drinking the old fashioned way
Skipcool3 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
yup- I arrived at the same conclusion... Just annoying as I always forget until the first drops have besmirched my shirt :-(
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Bring your own mug / cup, shock the cabin crew, get a discount and don't get a bucket sized cup of hot liquid. If you do it a lot they will keep a mug down the back for you.

I think it's the lid and the cup rim not quite fitting, it sometimes works better if you really squeeeeeeze down the drinking side.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes as c-w-s says take your own Thermos mug with non dribble lid. You can always fill it up in the lounge before you board as they're guaranteed to keep the liquid hot for an hour at least. I still have and use the ones I used when I was a climber.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I dribbled my station coffee this morning.

two lids were stuck together and that was the cause.

Ill check more carefully in future
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Bring your own mug / cup, shock the cabin crew, get a discount and don't get a bucket sized cup of hot liquid. If you do it a lot they will keep a mug down the back for you
Did anyone else get the idea of creating GGL-branded mugs for taking on the aircraft, just up help the cabin crew know who you are 😉. Of course, CWS would have his own CWS mug as standard issue on every BA plane :-)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I can't stand the lids that go on takeaway tea/coffee cups. They either leak or apparently I "drink it wrong" and I end up with liquid hot magma being shot into my soft palate. They also suck, environmentally.

I have a keep cup now, but even then remove the lid that comes with it when I drink something.
If I have to do with a takeaway cup, I always remove those lids whenever I drink something hot as I've had too many bad experiences.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

Did anyone else get the idea of creating GGL-branded mugs for taking on the aircraft, just up help the cabin crew know who you are 😉. Of course, CWS would have his own CWS mug as standard issue on every BA plane :-)
Would it just say "Staff"?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Can I say thank you to the OP because I always thought that i was uniquely dyspraxic in this regard. I routinely spill the tea exactly as described. Last time I even checked and cross checked that the lid was properly closed and I STILL managed to spill the tea. Not only that, but I have also endured a run of having the crew to give me the hot water but not the tea bag, which then leaves me having to try and summon them back as they make their way up the aisle with the trolley (last time a very lovely chap in the aisle seat leapt out of his seat to grab their attention- maybe a case of Do You Know Who He Is).

That said, I love a cup of tea. Having vowed never to use BoB, I now always get a cup of tea.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
NEVER, NEVER, try this solution with the coffee
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I've had this before when the vendor just put the lid on without checking the location of the card overlap - make sure that's at the top of the cup as drinking.
Or, my company bought a job lot of branded travel mugs, but the screw top was rubbish, spilling through the threading each and every time...

signol
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by signol
I've had this before when the vendor just put the lid on without checking the location of the card overlap - make sure that's at the top of the cup as drinking.
signol
This!

rb211.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I always remove the plastic lid and get rid of that false sense of security that often results in horrible spillage.

Carefully drink directly from the paper cup and you shall survive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.