Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New LGW Domestic Arrivals now open (23 July)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LGW Domestic Arrivals now open (23 July)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Never actually minded the bus at Gatwick, seemed to be a lot faster than when I arrived internationally (even allowing for no passport control).
This does seem like a backward step. So close to being great!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jfallesen
Just another proof to me how terrible Gatwick is. They bulild a new wing and still get it wrong in almost all possible ways…

You are not guranteed to actually arrive at one of the new gates when flying in from JER. If you do not arrive there, the bus will now take you there instead of the old drop-off point. Meaning a significantly longer walk from bus to exit.

At least arriving by bus means you only have to walk up one staircase or wait for one lift. Arriving at a gate, you first have to go down a staircase or a lift, walk quite a long way and then go back up again.

Oh, and even if the new area they have stupidly put staircases and lifts only, creating a bottleneck for those who can or will not carry their bags up and down stairs. And with only a single (slow) lift everywhere, it is made even worse.

At least I probably saved at least 20 minutes by not having any bags when I arrived yesterday. As somebody else said, the baggage collection is disaster.

Oh, and smart looking toilets which need to have instructions on how to get soap and dry your hands because all those things are hidden away behind the mirror.

Does Gatwick have a panel of people whose job it is to ensure passengers have as miserable an experience as possible?
I did wonder about this when the revised eventual plans were published.

The original plans for Pier 1, showed arriving people exiting the gates into the common travel area / the corridor to gates 1-5 and simply walking round to gate 5 and exit down the current new route. (the double doors at each gate bypassing the holding areas were built and are visible today). This then stated baggage collection would be built in the old zone b checkin.

At some point someone decided there was not enough space at zone b (or that area could become part of the departures shopping centre) and new plans were lodged with Crawley council for a new baggage hall with 2 belt loops, bank of lifts and possibly an escalator be built next to where the new single up lift is at ground floor level. At this point the walking route was move down stairs for arrivals leading to this new baggage hall and then up.

Then for some reason (probably cost), this application was withdrawn and replaced with what we have today. But the lower walking route remained.

I do wish they would go back to the idea of depositing passengers into the common travel area, signed with domestic arrivals turn right connections turn left. This would be no different to how EDI, GLA, ABZ and may others operate and would remove the needless down then up plus allow for connections.
International arrivals could still use there current route.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Akoz
I do wish they would go back to the idea of depositing passengers into the common travel area, signed with domestic arrivals turn right connections turn left. This would be no different to how EDI, GLA, ABZ and may others operate and would remove the needless down then up plus allow for connections.
International arrivals could still use there current route.
but people are already complaining that their bags aren't waiting for them on the luggage belt ... so you need a bit of a maze in order to give the baggage handlers a fighting chance
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
but people are already complaining that their bags aren't waiting for them on the luggage belt ... so you need a bit of a maze in order to give the baggage handlers a fighting chance
On our limited experience, up to 20 minutes for bags to travel about 150 yards! That is the curse of loose-loads baggage, of course, compounded by having to hold the 'little train' until they're all off. The future concept of having individual, autonomous, baggage trailers should enhance that process ... eventually.

I'll be running a time-check on Monday week to see how long the processes take with 2 cases.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I arrived on Tuesday from Glasgow, was first off the plane and 9 minutes later was settling into my seat in GF having recleared through an empty premium security, so as an HBO passenger from my perspective the new arrangement worked very nicely, albeit more hassle that T5 where there is no need to go through security again when arriving domestically.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I arrived on Tuesday from Glasgow, was first off the plane and 9 minutes later was settling into my seat in GF having recleared through an empty premium security, so as an HBO passenger from my perspective the new arrangement worked very nicely, albeit more hassle that T5 where there is no need to go through security again when arriving domestically.
I can see the appeal to an HBO pax, especially as you emerge right by the escalator up to Departures/Security. For the innumerable Leisure pax with luggage, less appealing!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
I can see the appeal to an HBO pax, especially as you emerge right by the escalator up to Departures/Security. For the innumerable Leisure pax with luggage, less appealing!
Yes - totally agree, there seemed to be a lot of pax hanging around for bags as I passed and that was before the full Glasgow flight joined the throng!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oops, I forgot to update this thread and just put some details in a TR.

18 Nov 19

1030 - Doors Open
1036 - at Domestic Reclaim
1052 - first bags emerged
1056 - our bags delivered
1100 - reached South Arrivals
1112 - reached North Terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.