Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New LGW Domestic Arrivals now open (23 July)

New LGW Domestic Arrivals now open (23 July)

Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I flew in from GCI last week but we ended up on a remote stand as the aurigny plane knew it wouldn't be returning to GCI due to fog so were bussed to the new arrivals area at gate 4

All smelt knew and lots of corridors and a bit disorientating where you emerge into the terminal; think its at the far end of check in

Gates 1-5 are great for departing though, near the lounges
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum
Was on BA2931 on tue but still bussed to the new building. Was painfully slow as full flight so had to wait for both buses to fill up before leaving. Let's hope it gets more consistent for arrivals as the time from landing to GEX puts me off gatwick so much vs. LHR and LCY
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jmd
I went through it the other day from JER. If you are HBO then it is a great improvement over the buses. If you have large bags then the layout is quite awkward (particularly as there is currently only one small lift after baggage reclaim to take you back up to the main arrivals level, which led to a queue of 6 trolleys for the said lift... Baggage delivery was also very slow.

There was no sign of access to flight connections - does anyone know if this is coming?
Had our first encounter on Monday, ex-JER. As described, an awkward layout with steps down to the lower level and then back up again to “Reclaim” ... where we found the in-line belt. Not easy to work, as it’s rather high off the floor and if you miss your bag it ends up in a pile at the end of the belt.

Bags took a long time to start emerging ... at least 20 minutes if not more. What you gain from ‘no bussing’ gets absorbed by baggage time ... obviously less noticeable when you had to wait for the bus to start moving.

Only airside toilets are way down the corridor beyond the reclaim belt.

Having recovered our 2 large cases, we made our way to the lift. It managed to contain one couple with a trolley-full of cases, and the 2 of us with 2 cases ... no room for anyone/anything else. I could anticipate delays there!

We emerged indeed at the far left end of the check-in desks in Zones D/E. Fortunately our taxi driver knew where to wait for us!

From chocks to land-side took about an hour! Bloody awful!!

Last edited by T8191; Oct 10, 2019 at 6:29 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
From chocks to land-side took about an hour! Bloody awful!!
whereas i reckon i was landside within about 5 minutes of my plane's front door opening !

admittedly i do enjoy bounding up staircases after being stuck on a FR plane for an hour ... and i was HBO.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You must indeed have bounded! I will admit to aking a gentle pace, knowing there would be some wait for bags ... but I wasn’t expecting it to take that long.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Having just done it again, this time without a driver waiting for us, I took a string of photos as we navigated the Arrivals process

Airbridge!

Down to ground level ...

Keep walking ...

Daylight! So that's where we are!!

Up again ... "Mind the steps"

Keep walking ...

Ahh ... Reclaim!

The high-level one-way Reclaim Belt.

OK ... keep walking! There are toilets down there.

The end is in sight ... with the rather small lift on the left ...

And finally ... you've arrived ...

... at the back end of Departure Zones D/E ... beyond those Ryanair check-in desks.

Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Having just done it again, this time without a driver waiting for us, I took a string of photos as we navigated the Arrivals process

Up again ... "Mind the steps"
glad you're surviving the steps !

despite the trek - still a massive improvement on hanging around for a bus
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:21 am

timing

yesterday i timed stepping off my plane to arriving into the main terminal - all the way through the security point, and up the final stairs / escalator ...

i was one of the last off (unfortunately Aer Lingus didn't provide back steps on this flight), so couldn't move as fast as sometimes ... at it came to 4 mins 40 seconds ...

which i think is pretty reasonable ... and compares favourably to waiting for five minutes in a bus for the last person to deplane !
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just used this for the first time as it's been a while since I've flown into LGW. That baggage reclaim is bloody awful.

Arrived from JER in a full BA A319 at about the same time as an FR and EZY service (both again looked pretty busy). The baggage belt is a ~20m straight line just off to the side of the corridor... The sort of you'd see in a small provincial airport. There must have been about 300 people waiting for bags, stood 4 or 5 deep at the belt. There is no real waiting area so the crowds of people simply block people from getting their bags, or block the corridor.

It was approx 25mins from arriving to bags out. Compare that to arriving domestically at A2 in T5 the other day where the bags were there before me.

Not a pleasant experience

For HBO it's a winner as long as you can battle your way through the hordes waiting for bags. If you're not HBO I think I prefer the old system where you are deposited in a proper baggage hall.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
It looks remarkably like the old baggage reclaim belt that was used for some UK&I flights when Flybe was still around. It was very cramped at the best of times, with any delays it was a zoo. From the Flybe gates you had to be photographed and collect a slip of paper with a barcode on it to cross the mixed departures corridor then surrender the same slip of paper to enter the arrivals bit. Looks like they have just built a slightly posher approach corridor to what was already there. Just be grateful you're not having to herd PRMs along that route ... it looks like an assault course!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Opinion is clearly divided!! As we are often “Luggage People”, I’ll stay on the negative side for now.

Next trip is again with luggage, this time with the added bonus of dragging them across to the North Terminal and the QR bag-drop.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Wow that looks so different from when I worked at Gatwick! I'm guessing that's what used to be Pier 1?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Wow that looks so different from when I worked at Gatwick! I'm guessing that's what used to be Pier 1?
At the risk of being vague, it’s now Gates 1-5, at the bottom right corner of South (on the south end of that Terminal).
I think Pier 1 rings a bell, but that has been altered quite a bit in recent years.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
It is pier 1. But completely new as pier 1 was rebuilt a few years back.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just another proof to me how terrible Gatwick is. They bulild a new wing and still get it wrong in almost all possible ways…

You are not guranteed to actually arrive at one of the new gates when flying in from JER. If you do not arrive there, the bus will now take you there instead of the old drop-off point. Meaning a significantly longer walk from bus to exit.

At least arriving by bus means you only have to walk up one staircase or wait for one lift. Arriving at a gate, you first have to go down a staircase or a lift, walk quite a long way and then go back up again.

Oh, and even if the new area they have stupidly put staircases and lifts only, creating a bottleneck for those who can or will not carry their bags up and down stairs. And with only a single (slow) lift everywhere, it is made even worse.

At least I probably saved at least 20 minutes by not having any bags when I arrived yesterday. As somebody else said, the baggage collection is disaster.

Oh, and smart looking toilets which need to have instructions on how to get soap and dry your hands because all those things are hidden away behind the mirror.

Does Gatwick have a panel of people whose job it is to ensure passengers have as miserable an experience as possible?
jmd, T8191 and Calchas like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.