Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight Layover in Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Overnight Layover in Heathrow

Hello all,
/I am flying next month from TLV to MIA via LHR. I have an overnight stay at Heathrow. The first eg of my flight is operated by BA and the second by AA (all on one ticket). Will my suitcases be checked all the way to Miami (which I prefer) or will I need to collect my suitcases at Heathrow?
Also, my overnight stay is at the Sofitel hotel. I land at terminal 5. What do I do after landing? Do I need to go through immigration to get to the hotel?
The next morning my flight takes of from terminal 3. Do I proceed straight away to security if I have my ticket already?
I would like to hear about overnight heathrow connet=ions so I would be able to prepare accordingly
Thank to all who answer
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Hello, yes your luggage may be checked through to your final destination with no need to collect it in London. After landing you will need to go through passport control and you can then head to the Sofitel. The next morning take one of the transit options to T3 and head through security and to the gate (or lounge). From memory there are some other threads on the same subject and I'll try to find a couple for you.

[pause for a bit of googling...]

Here is one but in reverse:
LHR T3 to T5 Connection Overnight

Here's one about overnighting at the sofitel with through checked luggage:
Overnight at LHR T5

Here's one about staying at the Sofitel and heading to T3 in the morning:
Checking In - LHR Terminal 3
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The baggage goes through so long as it is on one booking, rather than two.

To go to T3 the next morning just walk from the Sofitel to the departure floor in T5 (which means going the wrong way upwards) then take the lift from there down to the Heathrow Express. You have to take 2 lifts due to the layout. You can't enter security via T5 either, you have to go landside to T3, and the Heathrow Express is the easiest way. You need to use the machine to get a transfer ticket to T3, but it's free of charge, if necessary ask the staff at the gate, they often have some up their sleeves ready for you. At the T3 station it's a short walk to the check-in all - use any door - then go up on any escalator or lift to the security checkpoint. All signed and quite straightforward, allow 30 minutes to get to security, T3 from the Sofitel, it may take less than that.

On no account take the advertised Hoppa bus service, it takes forever.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
You can also be a proper lazy sod, and take the taxi service: https://www.london-heathrow.taxi/hea...ween-terminals

They also do Terminal->Hotel transfers. Did it when arriving into T3 @ 11pm and couldn't be bothered doing the whole train thing with luggage over to Sofitel - worked fine. He was there when we came out.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
You don't have to check your luggage straight through if you don't want to. Personally I don't if I have an overnight in London in case it gets lost somewhere in the system.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.