Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On board Gold 'benefits'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
You are entitled to nothing as per the rules. If you get a good crew they may offer something.
Or, alternatively, a bad crew will offer something. Presumably, it's an easy way to improve post-flight survey scores. But really, you didn't pay for it, other passengers are (privately) unimpressed, and the bad crew has created an expectation which will lead to another crew disappointing you in the future.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
The only specific on-board benefits that I have experienced are:

1) food choice in CW, I was told that gold card holders get first choice of food in club world independent of seat position if there isn't enough of a particular item.

2) having exit row/bulkhead seating means the same better food choice in wt and wt+ (but really this is an effect of pre flight prioritisation)

Other than that, Nada.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Originally Posted by T8191
Our first QR (LGW-DOH-CPT) is later this year, in J. We are interested to experience that.
You'll enjoy that, I'm sure. They're very good (as is a stopover in Doha). ^
I agree about QR in general. But regarding UK to South Africa specifically, due to being in similar timezones, if the price is similar to a direct flight, I find the purpose of flying J to be defeated by having to stop over in the middle of the night. If the choice is between J with stopover or Y/W direct, as it usually is for me, then obviously I'd choose J with stopover.

When I was BA Gold, I only really flew long-haul in J, and basically there were no additional on-board benefits. In short-haul Y, got a gold greeting 2 or 3 times (when the load was under 50%) and benefited from Theoretical Seating a few times. On my two long-haul flights in W, only got an Arrivals Fast Track card which is useless to me.

I also flew QR J a lot as BA Gold, but never once did anyone recognise my status and I was never treated noticeably different from any other J passenger, not that I needed anything special. Same on AY J.

On CX W/Y, QF Y, I was greeted personally, given extra water bottles, first choice of meals/served earlier than others. On CX J, I was also greeted as an emerald but otherwise same service.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:05 am

CX have been pretty good about taking my drink order and hand running it to me, before starting the main drink service in J. Nice touch that costs effectively nothing, but does make me feel good.
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Agreed, you’re not entitled to anything. That said, I’ve been given glasses of bubbly on all my Band 4 flights over the last 2 years, and bottled water on most other short haul. For long haul, it’s been about a 50% hit rate of getting anything, with the best one (LHR-ORD) being 3 mini bottles of Tanqueray so I didn’t have to endure the horror of Gordon’s...
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Jed

Agree, esp AY. I actually prefer AY Y over BA J from LHR-HEL as I eat and drink well in the LHR T3 lounges and then enjoy a complimentary mini bottle of champagne during the flight (AY benefit for OWE). I would be too full to eat again in any case, so AY is better for my wallet and my health whilst being perfectly pleasant in Y
The free drink is not an OWE benefit on AY, but rather a welcome result of their iPads not being able to differentiate between AY plats and OWEs.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight
The only specific on-board benefits that I have experienced are:

1) food choice in CW, I was told that gold card holders get first choice of food in club world independent of seat position if there isn't enough of a particular item.

2) having exit row/bulkhead seating means the same better food choice in wt and wt+ (but really this is an effect of pre flight prioritisation)

Other than that, Nada.
Dont think this is always the case. Last CW I was on I think I was last to be served (or forgotten about). And yes I am gold .
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Certainly my recent experience is that you are more likely to get fussed over on CX, MH , QR and even QF than you do on BA. I have been told that my choice of main has gone when they clearly have just been working from the front to back in CW on a 777-330. I made no fuss on the grounds it is just airplane food and that the crew were making it up as they went along.....
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:01 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by duvin

The free drink is not an OWE benefit on AY, but rather a welcome result of their iPads not being able to differentiate between AY plats and OWEs.
I didn’t realise that. thought there was a distinction between their own AY Platinum and other Oneworld Emerald.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by nivsy
Dont think this is always the case. Last CW I was on I think I was last to be served (or forgotten about). And yes I am gold .
If going by the service standards then meal orders in both F and J are meant to be prioritised on status. I’m sure the likes of CIHY et al. will be able to provide more info on that one.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:42 am

"It depends" is the only answer on BA.

I have had a couple of long-haul flights where this got picked up - glass of champagne both times; but one direction (in WT) was a bit 'mechanical' and felt like the CC sent to do this perceived it as a 'standard' (and annoying) task; the other direction (in WTP) genuinely really nicely done, meal orders taken first etc.

On short-haul - largely you get absolutely nothing at all. We got a nice glass of champagne each on a recent trip, but that was also because we were flying out for a special wedding anniversary which the crew had asked about / knew about - so was a very thoughtful gesture, but as much to do with that as with any status I suspect

I don't mind - expect nothing (which is what you have paid for) and be nicely surprised if anything more comes around. By the time I've had First Wing, Flounge, Group 1 boarding and an exit row seat, I don't normally feel I'm doing too badly for a short-haul Avios ticket to be honest...
daftboy, alex67500 and djbenedict like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Wink

Originally Posted by duvin

Ha, well that is a nice benefit in any case - I was asked what main I would like on LHR-HEL on the A350 last week, so obviously asked for the meatballs

I had been dozing off and hadn't really been paying attention, so it was only when the meal service started a little later and I was served my meal before the others around me that I realised I had bascially pre-ordered, presumably due to being OWE
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:04 am

Onboard benefits

CSM here. Onboard Gold/Emerald benefits when travelling in WT/WTP/ET should be the offer to hang jackets (if there is space) and ensuring first meal choice. That’s it I’m afraid.
If you’ve ever experienced anything above that, take it as a bonus on the day, it’s not reflective of a good or bad crew. The important thing to remember is that on flights with a very high GCH profile in non premium cabins the offer of champagne, bottles of water and club kitchen offerings starts to become a bit difficult to deliver, either because we don’t have enough for all of the GCHs in non premium cabins, but also because the incorrect perception of these products being available in non premium cabin will disappoint/annoy/embarrass non-GCHs when they then ask after seeing lots of customer in their cabin receiving these items.
Its something that the crew on the day have to gauge and something that Gold/Emerald you should not expect.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Our first QR (LGW-DOH-CPT) is later this year, in J. We are interested to experience that.
Looking forward to your trip report UncleT
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Some crew purposely wont prioritise Golds on the CW meal choice, on the basis that a few more complaints from Golds will improve the quantity and choice onboard. Golds are more likely to complain about this than others apparently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.