FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On board Gold 'benefits'
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:21 am
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Originally Posted by T8191
Our first QR (LGW-DOH-CPT) is later this year, in J. We are interested to experience that.
You'll enjoy that, I'm sure. They're very good (as is a stopover in Doha). ^
I agree about QR in general. But regarding UK to South Africa specifically, due to being in similar timezones, if the price is similar to a direct flight, I find the purpose of flying J to be defeated by having to stop over in the middle of the night. If the choice is between J with stopover or Y/W direct, as it usually is for me, then obviously I'd choose J with stopover.

When I was BA Gold, I only really flew long-haul in J, and basically there were no additional on-board benefits. In short-haul Y, got a gold greeting 2 or 3 times (when the load was under 50%) and benefited from Theoretical Seating a few times. On my two long-haul flights in W, only got an Arrivals Fast Track card which is useless to me.

I also flew QR J a lot as BA Gold, but never once did anyone recognise my status and I was never treated noticeably different from any other J passenger, not that I needed anything special. Same on AY J.

On CX W/Y, QF Y, I was greeted personally, given extra water bottles, first choice of meals/served earlier than others. On CX J, I was also greeted as an emerald but otherwise same service.