Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Peter01,
that is a very good point. And their service was excellent.

Turning to IT, it must, MUST appear to corporates that a well funded, well managed IT function, with good Internal management, is so much better than the drivel that corporates put up for outsourcing.
They can write the code in India, or Vietnam, but they MUST run the risks from the UK/USA.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Years ago, I worked with a brilliant Engineer who properly costed outsourcing. Fully and properly. Including all the necessary and relevant/appropriate supervision. His costing was scary. He said do it all in the UK!!!
He was called daft. But he was correct for his projects.
JimEddie and thebigben like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Whilst BA should be held to account for data breaches, this does sound like quite an excessive fine.
Baring in mind that BA does not pay corporate tax here, nice that they contribute to the exchequer.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Worcester
Baring in mind that BA does not pay corporate tax here, nice that they contribute to the exchequer.
I think your first point is an urban myth (assuming 'here' refers to the UK) - easily verified though if one cares to read the company's financial data
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by buddman
Then don't do Buisnes with them. They were targeted by a criminal act, suffered financial business damage as a result, and now they are being disproportionately fined. Consumer protection protects you from losing money when sellers make false claims. I suspect you suffered no damage at all except to your high horse?
at the time I wouldn’t have known they weren’t looking after my data!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Whilst BA should be held to account for data breaches, this does sound like quite an excessive fine.
It is a huge fine, but it's around 38% of the maximum penalty that could have been levied.

In some senses it's the big-corporate equivalent to someone racking up a £375 fine at magistrate's court for speeding (where the maximum penalty is £1000, unless on a motorway). A whopping penalty, but not out of the ordinary.
orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Prospero
I think your first point is an urban myth (assuming 'here' refers to the UK) - easily verified though if one cares to read the company's financial data
Yes and their companies house registration number is pretty easy to remember, it's 1 followed by a bunch of 7s

And indeed, according to their last filings, to the tune of GBP 365m.

Last edited by alex67500; Jul 8, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
deleted
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I wasn't affected by this I've paid scant attention to it all.
However, if found guilty of a security breach through fault of their own then yes BA deserve to be fined and seen to put things right.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
I'm glad that the ICO have come down hardish on BA.

BA will moan that they've been made an example of and good on the ICO for showing that they are taking this all very seriously. How long before companies wise up and do something about it I'm not so sure. While GDP183m may appear large, in the overall scheme of things is it large enough to kick companies such as BA into action?

I think the ICO have left enough leeway in the fine so "if" BA have another breech they can increase the fine until they finally get the message.

I would hope that the larger GDPR fines will now work in a similar way to how companies are finally wising up to AML. It's only by making the penalties significant and the risk of personal liability too that have got everyone moving in the right direction for AML.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I joined the spg action ages ago after My details were compromised in this attack. Haven’t heard anything from them for ages now
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
It is all about cheap (well very expensive) accountants making cheap decisions that end up costing more than the original savings. Any form of Risk Assessment is ignored, dumbed down, or omitted altogether.

So common it is sad (Boeing anyone?), and all too prevelent across many industries now which cannot see beyond numbers on a spreadsheet to understanding the business being run, and airlines seem not to care. I got inconvenienced by both BA and CX, and before people think about shifting to *A, I had someone try a phishing attempt on me using Lufthansa. I reported it to them, the first time got ignored, tried again and told "not our concern" or words to that effect.

If the companies don't invest in protecting our data, they must be made to pay.

What gets me is BA saying "We did not find any evidence", well they could be telling the truth because you cannot find evidence if you do not look.

Much as I criticise Banks, when it comes to data protection it is one thing they try very hard to do right. I work with quite a few Banks.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
It is all about cheap (well very expensive) accountants making cheap decisions that end up costing more than the original savings. Any form of Risk Assessment is ignored, dumbed down, or omitted altogether.

So common it is sad (Boeing anyone?), and all too prevelent across many industries now which cannot see beyond numbers on a spreadsheet to understanding the business being run, and airlines seem not to care. I got inconvenienced by both BA and CX, and before people think about shifting to *A, I had someone try a phishing attempt on me using Lufthansa. I reported it to them, the first time got ignored, tried again and told "not our concern" or words to that effect.

What gets me is BA saying "We did not find any evidence", well they could be telling the truth because you cannot find evidence if you do not look.

Much as I criticise Banks, when it comes to data protection it is one thing they try very hard to do right. I work with quite a few Banks.
I think that when they say they cannot find evidence of accounts being impacted, I reckon AC means BAEC accounts.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Nicc HK

Difficult to disagree with that !

Although there is of a course a reasonable argument, as expressed by a number of posters upthread, that such ‘corporate fines’ are misplaced in as much as it is we the travelling public who will ultimately be made to pay, by one means or another.

This is also borne out by a couple of tweets just spotted (see below) ...... the first from AC by way of reaction to the fine, the second from a BA passenger.

Thinking of how I’m going to save £183 million this FY #Enhancements
#Fines

BREAKING: British Airways announce plans to introduce new optional fees for passengers who prefer their data to remain private AND secure

NB : for sake of clarification, I must add that these appeared not on BA’s official twitter page, but on the parody ‘Not Señor Alex Cruz’ feed.

All the same, perhaps not a million miles from reality ........
no2blues likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I posted a link to a very detailed technical report in the original data breach thread.

https://www.riskiq.com/blog/labs/mag...irways-breach/

From that, it would appear that the perpetrator needed direct access to a BA server to modify a JavaScript library. Unless, of course, they managed to get onto the BA server from outside the network - which would be an even bigger breach...
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it previously. So the assertion of an 'inside job' is an assumption based on the contents of that blog rather than on any indication or declaration of the ICO, law enforcement or BA? Hopefully law enforcement will find at least some of the culprits involved in the criminal aspects of this event and more facts revealed to us.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.