Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I don't really understand this argument. Are you saying they should keep using a company they don't want to? If you as a consumer have a choice, exercising that choice and picking the business you are most comfortable with is not a 'gesture'.

I find it very strange people seem to think no-one should ever change businesses even if they want to because the business 'won't care'. and if the business truely doesn't care that customers are leaving it for completely avoidable reasons, it's a terribly run business. Just because a business makes profit doesn't mean it can treat its customers with contempt. And shareholders want a business that fights to maximise profits, not one that is perfectly happy losing customers, because they can always be replaced. There's a good chance they need to reduce the marginal revenue to attract that 'replacement'.

It's a shame consumers talk down their power and just accept being treated like this and don't demand better. I can assure you if enough big customers left, especially corporate ones, BA would notice. Of course, that effective monopoly at Heathrow does rather tip the balance of power towards them, which is how they get away with this
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
nallison,
whilst you are correct, I am not persuaded that BA actually care.
I might well fly with them tomorrow, as CWS does, even though they do not care about me at all, and care marginally more for him.
Amazon and DHL have proven to me that they care about my custom by their behaviour when I complain. They are both much bigger than BA and have more customers.
Let us be clear her.

BA do not care about slf.
They used to.............
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
one passenger out of 38+ million a year? No matter how frequently that person flies, will BA's Stats even register the difference?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of BA anyway. However, with little choice ex-JER and the fact that they conveniently also tend to fly where we want to go, we stick with them a lot of the time. But other options do indeed exist, and we use them occasionally (AA, and Imminently QR).

It all depends on your routes and the options, surely?
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

Perversely, as long as customers bear no responsibility for loss (which is strong consumer protection), then there is very little incentive for customers to punish firms that mishandle your data by taking your business elsewhere. The fact that it can take months and years for the data to be used fraudulently also means many people don’t really feel they have lost something.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by T8191
Nice if you have the choice of carrier/route/destination etc., of course. From my POV those choices matter more than gestures which BA won’t notice, but undoubtedly make you feel better.
I wouldn't call it a gesture, I would call it an active and deliberate choice to stop spending money with a company that cannot safeguard my personal data and when it fails to can't even apologise and accept their responsibility for their error.

Whether BA notice or not - I really don't care.

It may have triggered a satisfaction survey I received today as my Exec Club renewal date is due and I will drop a tier due to only having flown four sectors which were booked before the breach.
lhrpete and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I wouldn't call it a gesture, I would call it an active and deliberate choice to stop spending money with a company that cannot safeguard my personal data and when it fails to can't even apologise and accept their responsibility for their error.

It may have triggered a satisfaction survey I received today as my Exec Club renewal date is due and I will drop a tier due to only having flown four sectors which were booked before the breach.
I went from Gold->Silver->Bronze->Scumbag in consecutive years. I didn't hear a peep from BA. Not even a "Did we do something wrong? How could we make things better?" type survey.
ThatT1Feeling and contractor like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
DYKWIA
Being elevated to the dizzying heights of Blue is not to become a scumbag. I went thru this a while ago, Rather, it just makes me more cunning when I use airport facilities.
adrianlondon, wrp96 and alex67500 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf

Interesting, I will drop a tier in September and I had a survey today too. I didn't complete it because I have nothing left to say to BA after the data breach and it said it took 25 minutes to complete it so that ruled it out anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Has anyone who signed up with SPG Law had any emails since the announcement from ICO?
I haven't received any communication.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAEC
Has anyone who signed up with SPG Law had any emails since the announcement from ICO?
I haven't received any communication.
Nothing heard here.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:09 am
Suspended

Nothing heard here.
Maybe i will try to contact them ...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

When the first breach was announced by BA, i had officially registered a complaint via BA Website on 07/09/2018. I received the bog standard reply on 11/09/2018 from Customer Services .... "Thanks for getting in touch about the recent data theft and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or concern this may have caused you. I do apologise for the delay in my reply."

Now there is a disclaimer at the bottom of this response

"This email is intended solely for the addressee(s) and the information it contains is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient (a) please delete the email and inform the sender as soon as possible, and (b) any copying, distribution or other action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
This message is private and confidential and may also be legally privileged."

Question ... If i was to pass on this communication email to SPG ... would that be unlawful? In the SPG survey they are asking for "Please upload copies of all correspondence sent to and received from BA regarding the breach."
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:39 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by BAEC
"This email is intended solely for the addressee(s) and the information it contains is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient (a) please delete the email and inform the sender as soon as possible, and (b) any copying, distribution or other action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
This message is private and confidential and may also be legally privileged."

Question ... If i was to pass on this communication email to SPG ... would that be unlawful?
(My extra bolding) Presumably not, since you were the intended recipient?
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsf
(My extra bolding) Presumably not, since you were the intended recipient?
I suggest it’s clause (b) that’s relevant ...
(b) any copying, distribution or other action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon it is prohibited and may be unlawful
Too late anyway, I sent mine to SPG.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:47 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I suggest it’s clause (b) that’s relevant ...
Surely it's an (a) and (b) pairing that both apply if you're not the intended recipient, and neither apply otherwise. Or is there another interpretation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.