Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA’s IT currently down

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
I’m on BA941 DUS-LHR. We left the gate and taxied to the runway but been sat at the side of the runway for past 30 minutes. The pilot said that because BA’s IT has gone down they can’t confirm the figures required for take off.

The pilot said it is a system wide outage.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Where is this reported? I booked a flight a short while ago without issue. I can access MMB for all my reservations.
I tried a booking during the middle of the outage and it just was hanging.

Congratulations on making a booking 'a slight while ago', the website was not accepting bookings 'more than a slight while ago (based on our posts)'.

They had a massive outage.
KeaneJohn and skywardhunter like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I know it will never happen, but BA really need to re-build a parallel IT system from the ground up (without ANY legacy add-ons) and then do a serious Beta test before consigning the current packages to the dustbin.

IMO there are just too many modules within the system, constantly being fiddled with (often for pointless cosmetic front-end purposes), and eventually failing to communicate with each other properly.

Be grateful that NATS, as the main ATC Services provider, has effective redundancy.

I have no recollection of this sort of outage 10 years ago, but undoubtedly I will be corrected!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Contact centre still down
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
A phantom booking has shown up in my account this morning. (It is a route I had a fare quote emailed to me yesterday.) I’ve called in twice to have it corrected. System down, call back tomorrow they say. At least I don’t see a charge for the ticket on my credit cards.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
The wait at First checkin is at present 25 minutes and counting.
Aus_Mal likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
I’m on BA357 tonight which is cancelled and call centre still saying there is nothing they can do as system is down for everyone
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Didn't realize there was a problem when I just booked and paid for a flight until I got an odd looking page showing my flights and payment but no booking reference and no confirmation e-mail. Went to manage my booking and there is a code there but it won't let me into MMB.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
I know it will never happen, but BA really need to re-build a parallel IT system from the ground up (without ANY legacy add-ons) and then do a serious Beta test before consigning the current packages to the dustbin.

IMO there are just too many modules within the system, constantly being fiddled with (often for pointless cosmetic front-end purposes), and eventually failing to communicate with each other properly.

Be grateful that NATS, as the main ATC Services provider, has effective redundancy.

I have no recollection of this sort of outage 10 years ago, but undoubtedly I will be corrected!
The reason why so many legacy companies are biting the dust due to lean upstarts.

I work for a centruy plus old Finance company and some of the legacy data issues with live with are laughable and make BA look like Uber.

I do wonder if it would just just be easier to start all over again rather than piecemeal update and integrate 50 archaic systems together.

I often fear it is decades old management that stop certain things occurring. Or 3 decade serving IT VP has just left and I’m hoping some fresh, management who’s more open to new things will bring in fresh thought
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by Mickidon
I can start but not complete online check in.

Same for me. I can access MMB but get the “Busy” error message when trying to check in for a flight.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
It can be done. I seem to remember DHL being in the press as it had completely re-built its systems and closed all national data centres, opening 3 only around the world. DHL has more customers than BA, very complicated pricing and lots of IT measuring & tracking its parcels.
It was some time ago, and I can't verify its accuracy.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I do wonder if it would just just be easier to start all over again rather than piecemeal update and integrate 50 archaic systems together.

I often fear it is decades old management that stop certain things occurring. Or 3 decade serving IT VP has just left and I’m hoping some fresh, management who’s more open to new things will bring in fresh thought
The cost comes out of making new code integrate into the decades out old stuff. And of course doing a complete new start would be easier, but that only works if you truly do a fresh start - which in turn means tons of project risks due to changes that affect the entire organisation.

And old friend of mine used to describe enterprise architecture as something similar to town planning. Once you have the medieval alleys, you won't be able to make use of your Porsche.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Of course simplifying process to fit around an OTS package is the holy grail of transformation.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Just successfully done OLCI with Jet2 (LS) ... they open OLCI at T -28 days.
They checked people in with contingency iPads when the Manchester check-in system went down.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
Call centre just told me they think it will only be back up tomorrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.