Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios flight time moved - options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
oh come off it. I did offer the OP lots of advice so why pick on a small thing which people all over this (and other) board suggest posters do i.e. check other routes. until you check you don't know.
I think you stirred this up yourself. No one picked on you - the first reply merely pointed out (for the benefit of the OP) that this part of your advice was not going to be useable.

You don’t have to know every route but, where you don’t, be prepared for someone to add that information and don’t take it as a critique.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it was quite clearly meant as a personal criticism]

there’s no point in giving advice to someone asking for help that adds no value
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Look, can we focus on trying to help the OP please? In-fighting isn't exactly pretty or useful.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by BobServant
I think what the OP wants is practical help, not glib statements of rights under EC261 and an argument over finer points.

While there is clearly a right to cancel, this may not be the best option for the OP and it's worth exploring other avenues, which would might include:
- Long haul route changes. I think YYC is Calgary and so a one-flight-a-day option so moving the time of long haul may not be possible and there may not be another airport within the 300 mile radius for rerouting. Unless anyone has better ideas, I don't see this helping.
- Changing routing for connections The OP could explore moving the domestic connections to a different airport with more convenient flight times - Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh or Glasgow could all be options depending on where the OP actually lives. BA should also permit changes to the outbound flight in this situation, so avoiding a car being stranded at MAN for example. There doesn't necessarily have to be Avios availability on new flights to be able to rebook the connections.
- Cancelling connection (or connections) - should be possible free of charge and any taxes and charges for the domestic leg should be refunded. NB it's unlikely BA would pay for alternative transport but worth asking.
- Changing day of flight. Again, the OP could maybe look at flying home a day or two earlier or later if that facilitated a more reasonable connection at LHR. Again you wouldn't necessarily need Avios availability to do this. [EDIT - it should be possible to move the outbound as well in the circumstances.]

I'd advise the OP to work out what works for him/her and call BA back with a solution, bearing in mind the guidelines posted by Prospero. If "computer says no", give it a few days and call back, the back office can take a while to catch up on what's allowed re cancelations. I'm sure you'll get something sensible sorted.
Hi while it sometimes takes a while to get guidelines for rebooking if a route is cancelled, (for example like Tehran) for a cancellation of a flight where there the route is still operated, standard conditions of carriage apply. So no need to wait for back office to catch up on whats allowed.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Phone back. That is a significant change to schedule and you can cancel free of charge.

If its the very last leg you don't want you could just not take it if you're with hand luggage only, obviously you're not getting anything back doing that.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
If its the very last leg you don't want you could just not take it if you're with hand luggage only, obviously you're not getting anything back doing that.
Yes - however we're away for 3 weeks and it's myself and Mrs Toothy - hand luggage only isn't happening

I didn't get chance to phone again today (that first day back at work after a week off day). Will phone tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

T
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hi all,

Just a quick update on this. Just phoned the Executive Club. Explained I'd had an email saying that the flight had been cancelled (rather than asking for a change. The agent called Hayden was excellent, looked at options and happily cancelled the last leg free of charge and it'd been an enforced changed.

Thank you all for the advice.

T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.