Avios flight time moved - options

Old Jun 30, 19, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Avios flight time moved - options

Hi all,

I've a 241, MAN-LHR-YVR, then YYC-LHR-MAN.

The final LHR-MAN leg has been moved from a 5.30pm flight, which was cancelled, to a 9pm flight. In that the flight from YYC lands at about 2pm, I don't particularly want to spend 7 hours at LHR, when I can get the train home during that time.

I've phoned BA to remove the final leg and they want to charge me £70 as a change fee (£35 x2), to remove the final leg.

Any suggestions as to where I stand and my options?

Thanks

T
Old Jun 30, 19, 5:04 am

Phone back. That is a significant change to schedule and you can cancel free of charge.

Old Jun 30, 19, 5:50 am
Original Member

As this flight is within Europe it falls under EC261 which gives you the right to reimbursement if the flight is cancelled. Phone again and quote your rights under EC261 article 5
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
How do you arrive at this conclusion given that the OP doesn't tell us the date of his flight?

OP, when are you due to fly as this will impact on the relevance of the advice people can provide?

Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
As this flight is within Europe it falls under EC261 which gives you the right to reimbursement if the flight is cancelled. Phone again and quote your rights under EC261 article 5
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:15 am
Original Member

The time in advance of notification doesn’t matter for your basic rights, only for any extra compensation (cancellation needs to be within 14 days for this)
orbitmic and FlyerTalker39574 like this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:22 am

As I mention above, we cannot properly advise the OP what he might be entitled to without knowing the dates of his/her flight.
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:36 am
Original Member

My advice is correct and does not matter when the OP flight is. They are entitled to a refund without change fee
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:38 am

Your advice is, as stated twice above, potentially incomplete as we don't have the full information available.
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:49 am
Original Member

Incomplete maybe as compensation may also be due if the flight is within 2 weeks, but not incorrect and 100% inline with the actual question from the OP about the change fee. But whatever 🙄
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:56 am

The OP asked the question 'Any suggestions as to where I stand and my options?' and without knowing when his/her flight is, we cannot answer this question accurately. I'm not quite sure which bit of this you seem unable to grasp?

Anyway, OP, if you can revert with this extra information, the board will, I'm sure, be able to advise you fully and accurately. In the meantime, I've got a terminal change here at PER and then 8 hours in J on CX to look forward to.
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
One option would be simply not to take the final leg. That's not as good as getting your Avios back (perhaps you can do that by phoning back) but is certainly simpler and doesn't require sending BA 70 quid
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by abligh View Post
One option would be simply not to take the final leg. That's not as good as getting your Avios back (perhaps you can do that by phoning back) but is certainly simpler and doesn't require sending BA 70 quid
That won't work if OP has checked-in baggage, they won't short check the baggage at YYC.

Are there any earlier flights to MAN that you could switch to? If you want to drop the last leg, one way would be to switch to an LGW-MAN or LCY-MAN flight. That will allow you to pick up your bags at LHR and then choose whether you want to take the connecting flight (or not).

(FYI - as a data point I have used a 5-minute schedule change on an LGW-CPT flight to switch to an LHR-CPT flight in the past, with no fee, so this should be possible.)
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by abligh View Post
That may not be so easy if the OP has baggage in the hold and is unable to reclaim it at LHR.
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
As it appears that the OP lives in the North West so may want to go back there !

OP look at the times of other flights from LGW or LCY and see if they work for you then phone up again and ask to be moved to one of those and again ask about ending your trip and making yiur own way back to MAN.

this is a change that BA have forced on you so they should be amenable to it. Perhaps the agent misunderstood and thought you were asking for a change and hadn’t realised your flight to MAN had been changed hence them wanting to impose the change fee,

and chaps petty spats don’t help the OP. Yes they could ask for a refund but that’s no use if alternative routes are now more expensive or there are no avios seats available.
wrp96 and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 30, 19 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
How do you arrive at this conclusion given that the OP doesn't tell us the date of his flight?...
The flight has been cancelled, the OP has absolute rights under EC261 Art. 8, irrespective of when advised of the cancelled flight.
skywardhunter likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: