Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Advantages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
British Airways Advantages

After reading Airline news and many postings in FlyerTalk, one can't help feeling that BA is a third rate airlines! Is it that bad?
To me what matters are,
1. Good seating area at the gate.
2. Relaxed gate agent who is cheerful and politely answers questions. Posts updated info.
3. Easy structured boarding
4. Convenient seating. I am neither tall or obese. Most seats are OK as long as they are supportive of my back and butt
5. Decent room for storing one piece of allowed luggage
6. I do get hungry-a light snack on domestic flights and a meal on International. I don't care for dessert etc.
7. Prompt departure and arrival.
8. Doors of the plane closing/opening for easy boarding and getting off.
9. I bring my own entertainment. However, good movie selections on long distance flights.
10. Important-I do like a pillow. It serves me to buffer intruding neighbor's hands. In this, all airlines have failed in economy, at least in domestic flights.

Has BA failed in these? Which airlines excel in these at a reasonable cost. I have had bad experience in Singapore Airlines-In my opinion they treat Asian Indians like dirt (even in fully paid business class). I like Delta, Malaysian, Air France.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:09 am

There’s a whole forum dedicated to BA. Might be more appropriate there than OMNI.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thelark
There’s a whole forum dedicated to BA. Might be more appropriate there than OMNI.
It's not really a BA specific question, despite the title and start of the OP, perhaps Travelbuzz but maybe good to have a less restrictive space for more frank discussion over and above the usual moderated conversations.

As far as I see it BA is a semi-solid operation that prints money. They're not aiming to be a top quality travel provider in any class, despite what they might be marketing, but they get the numbers, and they have a captive traveller base that knows and trusts their brand or is too loyalty-bound to jump the fence
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
There are few on the Oneworld list that are worse than BA. They were the trendsetting EU airline in cost cutting. And Sri Lankan does a better Gin and Tonic service.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If I was you I would stick to the ones you like. I only take BA if nothing else works. It is not an airline I look at except out of curiousity.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001
After reading Airline news and many postings in FlyerTalk, one can't help feeling that BA is a third rate airlines! Is it that bad?
To me what matters are,
1. Good seating area at the gate.
2. Relaxed gate agent who is cheerful and politely answers questions. Posts updated info.
3. Easy structured boarding
4. Convenient seating. I am neither tall or obese. Most seats are OK as long as they are supportive of my back and butt
5. Decent room for storing one piece of allowed luggage
6. I do get hungry-a light snack on domestic flights and a meal on International. I don't care for dessert etc.
7. Prompt departure and arrival.
8. Doors of the plane closing/opening for easy boarding and getting off.
9. I bring my own entertainment. However, good movie selections on long distance flights.
10. Important-I do like a pillow. It serves me to buffer intruding neighbor's hands. In this, all airlines have failed in economy, at least in domestic flights.

Has BA failed in these? Which airlines excel in these at a reasonable cost. I have had bad experience in Singapore Airlines-In my opinion they treat Asian Indians like dirt (even in fully paid business class). I like Delta, Malaysian, Air France.
I don't think BA "fails" on any of these, although sometimes things can go wrong.

6. If you get hungry you can certainly get a light snack on BA, as long as you're willing to pay for it.
8. I'm pretty sure that the doors on BA's aircraft do open and close, although I'm sure one of our resident experts will be along soon to confirm.
10. You really can't expect a pillow in short-haul economy class.
Mordac likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Hello OP, welcome to the BAEC board. I’m sure one of the Ambassadors will be along soon to give you the formal welcome.

In order to give a more specific answer to your question, it would be useful to have any routes or cabins that you are looking at.

To be non-specific, I don’t think BA is a 3rd rate airline. It is a solid option generally on par with AF/KLM and LH. IMHO it is 3 or 4 stars out of 5, gusting 5 when great, slumping to 1 or 2 when bad.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
A thread being transferred into the BA forum? And there I always thought that was a one way street...

The way OP phrases their question I would say BA (and any other airline) should be OK.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
The way OP phrases their question I would say BA (and any other airline) should be OK.
The option to disembark via the flight-deck escape window has never been offered yet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by krispy84
....I don’t think BA is a 3rd rate airline....
It has a large number of not yet refurbished long haul aircraft that will be with us for a good while. It’s CEO lacks vision. It’s 3rd rate.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by richardwft

It has a large number of not yet refurbished long haul aircraft that will be with us for a good while. It’s CEO lacks vision. It’s 3rd rate.
The beauty of discussion, we can disagree.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by krispy84

The beauty of discussion, we can disagree.
or indeed quantify if facts are higher placed than opinion. So, 18% of the long haul fleet are still fitted with the old IFE system, reducing to zero over the course of the next 28 months.
krispy84 and madfish like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Well now, this is one is a bit unusual for the BA forum.

Now that the OP finds their thread has landed here, I for one would welcome them returning to expand on and explain some of the more unusual/leftfield observations in the list (point 8, for example). Especially in the context where 'international' and 'domestic' mean something rather different for BA than in the OPs homeland.

Much more interesting than having (the usual group of) BA forum posters weighing in with (the same) unqualified, generic BA-bashing and BA-lauding posts we see so often around here.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
For #1 , how much control does any airline have over the gate seating area?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
or indeed quantify if facts are higher placed than opinion. So, 18% of the long haul fleet are still fitted with the old IFE system, reducing to zero over the course of the next 28 months.
So in month 29 BA will have aircraft with CW seating that isn’t as good as QR Q suite on aircraft wide enough for Q suite.
skicowboys likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.