Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Advantages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by richardwft

So in month 29 BA will have aircraft with CW seating that isn’t as good as QR Q suite on aircraft wide enough for Q suite.
Opinions obviously differ.

For me depends on the equipment being used, buy on board was a huge mistake, generally I find QR and AA better for long haul which is partly down to more up to date frames and on oard facilities on the routes I'm flying.

For euro hops I'll fly whoever is most convenient these days, I do try and avoid Ryan Air, but KLM, AF, SAS no better or worse than BA, AY are better.

In my opinion Alex Cruz is certainly 3rd rate.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:36 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

So in month 29 BA will have aircraft with CW seating that isn’t as good as QR Q suite on aircraft wide enough for Q suite.
And QR, on some aircraft, will still have reclining seats in long haul Business Class, and aircraft swaps are not uncommon. As you’re countering a factual statement, what’s the percentage of their aircraft with Q suites?

Is it more or less than the 82% of BA’s aircraft operating with updated IFE?

To keep this BA focused, you want consistency of a flat bed on a long haul flight, you can pick them with confidence. You want guaranteed lounge access rather than a unbundled package? You pick them.

Other airlines - take your chances. Maybe it’ll be better, maybe not.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 28, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Much more interesting than having (the usual group of) BA forum posters weighing in with (the same) unqualified, generic BA-bashing and BA-lauding posts we see so often around here.
And, indeed, crowbarring in (the usual) comparisons with QR.
T8191 and krispy84 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
....To keep this BA focused, you want consistency of a flat bed on a long haul flight...
To be 1st rate you want the best flat bed according to fuselage width available on differing aircraft.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:06 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

To be 1st rate you want the best flat bed according to fuselage width available on differing aircraft.
And to be 2nd rate, which is still above where you’re claiming BA sit?

Plus the answer to my question? I don’t know, I assume someone that raised it would though.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
No. 8 was a tricky question. I had several thoughts in mind and had some difficulty in formulating item 8. On a couple of occasions (not necessarily in BA), a) the door wouldn't close, b) gate agent closed the door prematurely and at least 5 passengers were left out even though they were at the desk, and c) the pilot and the crew were standing at the door that the flow of passengers were restricted (a clever way of regulating traffic, perhaps). The second half of the statement concerns "opening:. On many occasions, when the plane arrived at the gate, no gate agents were to be seen. The plane was parked at the gate for over 30 minutes waiting for someone to operate the walkway and let the passengers out. In planes where there are two aisles, what is the etiquette for proper exit? Let one side get out first and then allow the other or one from each side, or...Again, these are not BA proper items but different airlines handle the situation differently.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84

The option to disembark via the flight-deck escape window has never been offered yet.
It has been - to airframe techies. Want to become one so you can squirm through the windowless airframe? No? Then stop complaining
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Gentlemen,

Please take this behind the squash courts and inform us of the result. As to the OP’s questions, thoughts anyone?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by tmac100
It has been - to airframe techies. Want to become one so you can squirm through the windowless airframe? No? Then stop complaining
My tongue was pretty much through my cheek when I typed that, sorry it didn’t come across 😀. I have plenty of experience of kidney hatches in ships, therefore very happy to leave the windowless airframes to you!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
And to be 2nd rate, which is still above where you’re claiming BA sit?..,.
You don’t hang on to bad aircraft B772ER as long as BA.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
[My responses in Red
Originally Posted by Gynob001
After reading Airline news and many postings in FlyerTalk, one can't help feeling that BA is a third rate airlines! Is it that bad?
To me what matters are,
1. Good seating area at the gate.
Airport issue, nothing ro do with BA
2. Relaxed gate agent who is cheerful and politely answers questions. Posts updated info.
May or may not be a BA employee.
3. Easy structured boarding
BA is trying, but not all gates are the same.
4. Convenient seating. I am neither tall or obese. Most seats are OK as long as they are supportive of my back and butt
Depends on cabin class and airframe, and long/short haul.Reportedly most seats on BA are survivable,
5. Decent room for storing one piece of allowed luggage
Usually available, although BA is less strict on the number of items than it should be.
6. I do get hungry-a light snack on domestic flights and a meal on International. I don't care for dessert etc.
BA provide free food in short-haul Business classes and in all classes on long-haul. Short-haul Economy (Coach) has Buy on Board.
7. Prompt departure and arrival.
BA timekeeping seems generally good. Departure time largely irrelevant ... it’s arrival time that matters (for connections etc.)
8. Doors of the plane closing/opening for easy boarding and getting off.
Yes, BA’s doors work. Ground handling agents may adversely impact proceedings.
9. I bring my own entertainment. However, good movie selections on long distance flights.
Personal preferences abound, but on this week’s long-haul the selection was massive (upgraded IFE)
10. Important-I do like a pillow. It serves me to buffer intruding neighbor's hands. In this, all airlines have failed in economy, at least in domestic flights.
BA offers good bedding in First and Business long-haul, but nothing on short-haul.

Has BA failed in these? .... <snip>.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The BAEC reward programme seems to be very popular even amongst those who rarely fly BA.....myself included!!!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

How did the title of this thread get changed to "British Airways Advantages"?

Did the OP request it?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
No, I am confused. I wrote in general what I would like from an Airline. Because what I have been reading about BA in the forum, I just asked what does BA lack?
I am surprised how many defended BA and where were they in this forum about the bad bad BA!
as I also wrote, I mostly fly SkyTeam
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103
For #1 , how much control does any airline have over the gate seating area?
It depends on the airline and how large their presence is at a given airport. The primary carrier at a fortress hub is going to work closely with the local airport authority to get what their ideal gate situation is for them.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.