Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Avios ticket within 24 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Changing Avios ticket within 24 hours

Sadly just realizing it is not allowed to change an avios ticket within 24 hours of flight, in this case an earlier flight just became available for avios booking same route same airline (qatar) this morning. Just want to make sure this unfortunate policy is correct? TIA
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
It is correct. Unfortunately no changes within 24 hours
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krisz
It is correct. Unfortunately no changes within 24 hours
That’s too bad but I appreciate you confirming what I read online.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I’m not sure what is the time difference between the two flights it is up to you to try your luck at the airport. Technically they could move you to an earlier flight but as this is an Avios ticket (probably BA ticket no) I would be surprised that Qatar would touch it unless there is a very strong reason. So if you can and go to the earlier flight with a a hope of 1% and doesn’t cause issues with your work then try it.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This is one reason why it is often better to book a return as two one-ways.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is one reason why it is often better to book a return as two one-ways.
Sorry, I dont quite follow? This is a one-way avios ticket that I was asking about. I had checked for earlier flights (in this case DOH-KWI) daily but nothing opened up until day of departure unfortunately.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Sorry, I dont quite follow? This is a one-way avios ticket that I was asking about. I had checked for earlier flights (in this case DOH-KWI) daily but nothing opened up until day of departure unfortunately.
I did not see that you were referring to a one-way ticket. My point is that, if you have a return booked as two one-ways, you have a longer period to change your return (given that it locks in only 24 hours prior to return.)
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I did not see that you were referring to a one-way ticket. My point is that, if you have a return booked as two one-ways, you have a longer period to change your return (given that it locks in only 24 hours prior to return.)
That hasn't been the case for probably at least 10 years. You can't cancel the inbound of a return after the trip has commenced, but you can change the time/date and the route within the same band.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pauldb
That hasn't been the case for probably at least 10 years. You can't cancel the inbound of a return after the trip has commenced, but you can change the time/date and the route within the same band.
Now I'm not sure if I follow you. I was not talking about cancelling anything, I was pointing out that two one-way redemptions are more flexible that a single return.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Now I'm not sure if I follow you. I was not talking about cancelling anything, I was pointing out that two one-way redemptions are more flexible that a single return.
You said: "if you have a return booked as two one-ways, you have a longer period to change your return (given that it locks in only 24 hours prior to return.)"

This is not correct. You can change the time (and more) of the inbound up until 24hrs before it departs, regardless of whether it is a one-way or the second leg of a commenced return. The inbound used to be inflexible once the outbound had been flown, but that changed long ago.

However there is still a lesser benefit of two one-ways: you can only cancel your "inbound" completely if it is a standalone one-way.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:26 am
Suspended

In that case I have learned something new. On return award, I can change the time of my inbound within 24 hours of its departure. I did not know that.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No cancellation within 24 hours tends to be strictly enforced, however if it’s a case of changing to an earlier flight with availability, I’d strongly recommend to call and ask. It’s much easier to not have olci ‘ed if you intend to change in such a way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.