Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways safety

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
2 in a cockpit has zero safety benefits.

Does this thread, as it has developed, have any relationship with BA at all?
The OP’s question was whether BA specifically was less safe to fly on because it does not have a two-people-in-the-cockpit rule.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
But many of the contributors have been talking in very generic terms of no relevance to BA.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
But many of the contributors have been talking in very generic terms of no relevance to BA.
To show why BA is not doing anything wrong.
Report to Mods if you're not happy.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Unless the second person was a trained pilot, qualified on type and sat in the seat then two people on the flight deck does not reduce the risk of death by pilot suicide one iota.. The policies on mental health welfare are far more relevant. With all due respect the two person rule was a knee jerk reaction made by non pilots who completely failed to grasp the reality of the situation.
I do like two in the cockpit for other health reasons- I've seen someone who was reportedly totally asymptomatic drop dead from a brain aneurism about 5 meters away from me so as long as policy is for locked cockpit doors while a plane is in motion, I want a second person who can make it easy for the pilot in the loo to get back in a cockpit in the very very unlikely event that the person at the controls of the plane has a sudden catastrophic health event.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a tradeoff for everything. If one of the cabin crew is on the flight deck and one of the flight crew in the loo, this leaves only one crew member in the cabin. On the other hand, if there is a lock overide on the flight deck door, that puts cabin crew at risk of the use of force in a hijacking incident.

There are untold permutations and all carry some risk of something bad. The reality is that the risk is very low, although the consequences extremely bad.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I do like two in the cockpit for other health reasons- I've seen someone who was reportedly totally asymptomatic drop dead from a brain aneurism about 5 meters away from me so as long as policy is for locked cockpit doors while a plane is in motion, I want a second person who can make it easy for the pilot in the loo to get back in a cockpit in the very very unlikely event that the person at the controls of the plane has a sudden catastrophic health event.
As I understand it, it is already possible for someone to enter a locked cockpit door from the cabin, it’s also possible for someone in the cockpit to override that request to enter if it is someone with hostile intent. So if someone did become incapacitated in the cockpit, it would be possible to re-enter. The issue with Germanwings, I think, was that this access request was repeatedly and consciously denied.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:03 am

Personally It's a little nerve wracking knowing that there is only one person in the cockpit.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by lhrpete
The second person can open the cockpit door. Had that happened on the Germanwings flight it may well have ended very differently.
Sorry but this is not the case, the second person opening the door would do nothing to mitigate the risk. By the time the door was opened a pilot could easily put the aircraft in an recoverable position. The 2 in the flight deck is window dressing to reassure people with no real understanding of aviation.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jairz
<SNIP> I know BA's past record makes them one of the safest airlines <SNIP>
This really is more important than anything else. They know what they are doing.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
You would not necessarily be safer with two people in the cockpit.
Although employers ‘appear’ understanding when (in this case a pilot) is under stress or suffering from mental health problems the reality is staff are still fearful of being labelled as difficult by coming forward when they need help.
Solving this conundrum would go a long way. Having said that I would not be worried about one pilot in a cockpit, the cab drive to the airport has almost wiped me out twice.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Deltus
I'm not an expert on mental health, but I think the purpose of the second person in the cockpit is simply for the presence of another human - they don't need to be a trained pilot, or need to be able to fight off a physical attack. As noted above, we don't know exactly what happened in the cockpit of most of these flights (apart from Germanwings), but it's easy to see that it requires a different mental state to turn around and attack your colleague than it does to calmly change an auto-pilot setting. Just having someone there to say "Think about the consequences of what you're doing" could be enough to change the intention of a suicidal depressive.
I think this is one of the best and most insightful posts on this subject.

Just look at what seemingly "normal" people do in the privacy of their own home, versus what the same people do in front of others.
Deltus likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Sorry but this is not the case, the second person opening the door would do nothing to mitigate the risk. By the time the door was opened a pilot could easily put the aircraft in an recoverable position. The 2 in the flight deck is window dressing to reassure people with no real understanding of aviation.
Quite a few governing bodies seem to disagree, or are you saying they are saying the 2 on the flight deck rule won't help safety, but these agencies and organizations are all pushing it just to calm the public when they know it won't work?

In response to the incident and the circumstances of Lubitz's involvement in it, aviation authorities in some countries (including Australia, Canada, Germany, and New Zealand) implemented new regulations that require two authorized personnel to be present in the cockpit of large passenger aircraft at all times.[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]While the United States Federal Aviation Administration,[g]
[11]
[140] the Civil Aviation Administration of China
[h]
[141]
[142] and some European airlines already had a similar "rule of two" requirement, the European Aviation Safety Agency recommended the introduction of similar legal changes.[6]
[143] Other airlines announced similar changes to their policies.[4]
[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I speak as someone who acquired H&S qualifications in a past life. If BA isn't breaking any rules/regulations then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF WP
Mr pants tells me Australia has dropped the rule and it’s now at company discretion. Apparently their were incidents of switches being knocked and the like which led them to believe it was overall a negative
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:40 am

If you think this policy makes BA unsafe enough that you don't want to fly them, then don't. If you think this policy has little or no bearing on safety, the use other safety factors to make an informed decision s to whether you want to fly them or not. This isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

rb211.
trooper and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.