Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 years flying with BA!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
LPL-IOM in 1971 (aged 6) on a Cambrian Airways Viscount - my father worked for them at Rhoose and then Speke.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by TedToToe
LPL-IOM in 1971 (aged 6) on a Cambrian Airways Viscount - my father worked for them at Rhoose and then Speke.
I did the the same route in 1971 aged 9. It was my first time on a plane. We lived in Woolton which was a short distance from Speke airport
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
I remember flying from MAN (aka Ringway) to GCI to visit family most summers growing up in the early 1960's. The first aircraft I can clearly remember were BEA Viscounts. It's probably why the A319 retro livery is the most evocative for me.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
57 years of BA flying - but not quite on 57 varieties! (types)

Like many on this thread my first flight was on a BEA Viscount, (EDI/LHR in summer 1962) In the years following sticking to BA and its predecessors, flights also on Vanguards, Comet 4B ( BEAs version) BAC1-11s, Tridents, Tristar, B707s ( BOACs Rolls-Royce powered version) Super VC-10, HS748s (nick-named 'Budgie') Bae ATPs, Bae146, B737s, B747s, B757s, B767s, B777s, Airbus 319/320s, E190s & Concorde.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Gosh, you have brought back some memories. Who remembers Cunard Eagle on this GLA and EDI runs. They had this Bristol Britannias. They served a hot meal and drinks and BÉA did it’s d*mndest est to kill them off.

I was thinking about those 1-11s we flew LGW- GLA/EDI. Full hot meal and drinks. God we had to move!

Did anyone here fly to TXL when it was still an enclave within the DDR?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Gosh, you have brought back some memories. Who remembers Cunard Eagle on this GLA and EDI runs. They had this Bristol Britannias. They served a hot meal and drinks and BÉA did it’s d*mndest est to kill them off.

I was thinking about those 1-11s we flew LGW- GLA/EDI. Full hot meal and drinks. God we had to move!

Did anyone here fly to TXL when it was still an enclave within the DDR?
Lots of times. We were only allowed to fly in the pointy end wearing uniform, but we used to position out LGW-FRA Bcal then FRA-TXL Pan Am. So put your uniform in your checked bag and hope it was mishandled, for a couple of days off.
I also flew LGW-BGN which was the old RAF Bruggen in a Bcal BAC1-11 in about 1970.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
My first flight was in early 1978 from FBU* to AMS. I do not know whether it was SAS or KLM, but chances are it was on a DC-9 regardless of the airline. Second flight was onwards to BAH on a Qantas Queen. First BA flight was almost exactly 20 years later from FBU to LHR, followed by my very first longhaul J to JNB. I remember being disappointed that it was nonstop, as BA would also fly via NBO a few times a week.

As as a passenger I didn’t find the 707 or the DC-8 to be particularly noisy. At least nowhere close to the aft cabins of the DC-9s/Mad dogs. I avoided those lavatories if I could...

*FBU: Fornebu, the former Oslo airport.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
My first flight was in early 1970 on one of the military planes that made the trip from Brize Norton to Hong Kong stopping at countless places en route. I recall Bahrain and Singapore, but it might have been otherwise. It was a classic VC10 as it was coming back in 1974 and I am sure we stopped at Gan and Cyprus (exactly which airport in Cyprus I am not sure). I think on other flights there were stops somewhere in Oman too.

After that, sometime around 1976, we made a hop from Wick (WIC) to Kirkwall (KOI) on something that was branded British Airways, but I am not totally sure what it was exactly. I, quite young at the time, thought we were off on a trip like to Kong Kong so I had loaded myself up with Tintin and Hardy Boy books (those I can remember better than the flights!).

I have a feeling those flights to/from Brize Norton were coded RR but I am not sure.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA silver,
In 1958 aged 10, I had my first commercial flight, alone, on a BEA Viscount from Manchester Ringway to Glasgow Renfrew. The stewardess had placed me in a window seat adjacent to the propellers. It was more than a little frightening when flames came shooting out when they started up. I was told that the flaming was normal - it certainly did not put me off a lifetime of flying!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
and you just became a Mucci. Gallantry gets you everywhere.
OMG. I never saw the reply (until now)!
Its better than winning the lottery!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by nwmgc
Next month will be 60 years since I took my first BEA flight from Heathrow to Belfast (aged 5, if you were wondering) on, I would imagine, a Viscount. How the years have passed on all sorts of aircraft around the world in all sorts of classes and all sorts of seats. Certainly amongst the lifetime of memories have been some fantastic crew to make it all worthwhile.

Always tried to follow the Alan Whicker (met him once on a flight to JER, of course) advice: drink as much as you are able and eat everything they put in front of you. Bit testing these days, I suppose.

I probably need to keep flying another 60 years, though, to get Gold for Life
Jeepers: I remember as a young kid sitting backward on a Viscount going from Birmingham to Belfast. I actually thought the aircraft was flying backward!! Ah the innocence of youth
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L
OMG. I never saw the reply (until now)!
Its better than winning the lottery!
MUCCI: A status no amount of flying can ever achieve
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
First ever flight was 40+ years ago from London to Munich with BA. Dad worked for them, so managed a visit to the cockpit during the flight to boot. Can't remember the what plane it was though, and it was another 20 years before I flew again, but certainly making up for it now.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
My first flight on BA was in August 1978 on a Trident from Vienna to Heathrow. That was after a flight on SAA from Salisbury (now Harare) to Johannesburg and then on a very long flight on a B747SP from Johannesburg to Rome on the SAA "bulge of Africa service" with a fuel stop in Sal Cape Verde and another stop in Lisbon. The plane flew on from Rome to Athens. I was just glad to get off in Rome.

My first celebrity sighting was on another SAA flight from JNB to LHR 5 years later when I saw Peter Cook in the departure lounge as we were waiting to board.

My first flight I paid for myself on BA was in April 1990 when I again flew to Rome but from LHR. It wasn't a particularly auspicious start as my luggage went to Vienna. I remember getting a very frosty reception from the check-in staff when I jokingly asked if my luggage could be routed via Budapest on the return journey.

I joined the BAEC in June 2000 and according to my flightpath I have since managed to fly just over 251,000 miles on BA. The actual mileage is somewhat higher as I've flown on a few IB ticketed but BA operated flights which I've just noticed do not appear.

Last edited by AJA_; Sep 5, 2019 at 9:44 am Reason: Wrong aircraft.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
G-ZZZA to Dubai in 2006 was my first brush with BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.