FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   60 years flying with BA! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1974968-60-years-flying-ba.html)

nwmgc Jun 21, 2019 4:59 am

60 years flying with BA!

Next month will be 60 years since I took my first BEA flight from Heathrow to Belfast (aged 5, if you were wondering) on, I would imagine, a Viscount. How the years have passed on all sorts of aircraft around the world in all sorts of classes and all sorts of seats. Certainly amongst the lifetime of memories have been some fantastic crew to make it all worthwhile.

Always tried to follow the Alan Whicker (met him once on a flight to JER, of course) advice: drink as much as you are able and eat everything they put in front of you. Bit testing these days, I suppose.

I probably need to keep flying another 60 years, though, to get Gold for Life :)

Travelling Inspector Jun 21, 2019 6:29 am

I can beat that, just - memory is very dim (I was 6 in 1957) but I think this is broadly correct. Having gone to Canada by Cunard White Star in 1955, we flew back in 1957 for long leave halfway through my father's tour in Montreal being a diplomat. It would have been on a Britannia turbo-prop which kept stopping to refuel of course. We returned to Canada by sea so my next flight was the final homeward-bound in 1959 or early 1960 - I recall it should have been on a Comet 4 but that was replaced at the last minute by another Britannia.

rapidex Jun 21, 2019 7:58 am

I am a comparative youngster. My first flight on a BEA Viscount was only 54 years ago, MAN-LHR.

One of my school friends father was a BEA Viscount captain. He flew MAN-BFS-MAN-BFS-MAN 3 days a week. Ah, the good old days.

PUCCI GALORE Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am

Some here may think that I served beef tea to the Wright Brothers. It is not true. My first BA flight was aboard a Vickers Vanguard LHR - LBG ( Le Bourget) on Wednesday 1sgt August 1962. My age? I was as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.

In truth, I was really quite young

Cris L Jun 21, 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31225797)
I was really quite young

And you still are young, lovely and very charming! Oops.. I forgot to mention entertaining too!

anniegray Jun 21, 2019 10:20 am

Only 51 years for me, LHR to ABZ. Boarded and sat where you liked!

rapidex Jun 21, 2019 10:49 am

Some here may think that I served beef tea to the Wright Brothers. It is not true. My first BA flight was aboard a Vickers Vanguard LHR - LBG ( Le Bourget) on Wednesday 1sgt August 1962. My age? I was as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.

I did MAN-LHR in a Vanguard in1966. Did you ever venture to the frozen north?

tjcxx Jun 21, 2019 11:09 am

I can only claim 49 years. LHR/GRO return in a BEA Vanguard. And then skip on to 1976 for my first BA flight, GLA/SOU in a Viscount.

HMPS Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am

So at what age did you acquire the hair brush ?:D

LCY8737 Jun 21, 2019 11:39 am

Time to rebrand this site pensionertalk?

fripperies Jun 21, 2019 12:12 pm

MAN-ORY a few times in the mid-1960s. No idea what equipment. As a student I could distinguish the nose from the tail but that's as far as my curiosity extended, being more interested in the stewardesses.* And, on arrival, the Parisiennes. Happy days thanks to BEA.

* stewardess: noun (arch.) - female flight attendant on aeroplane.

george77300 Jun 21, 2019 12:21 pm

My first was the 22nd of August 2000 (aged 6 months :D) on a 767-300ER, G-BZHA to Nice.

Funnily enough flew on that very aircraft as my last BA 767 flight to LCA just weeks before its retirement in October 2018. Think the cabin was the same age 18 years later!!! ^

BA255 Jun 21, 2019 1:32 pm

My first flights were in November 1958 as an 8 year old. Heathrow to Rome by BEA Viscount, then Rome to Kano by BOAC Stratocruiser. The final part of the journey was from Kano to Tiko in the, then, British Cameroons, where my father was a harbour master, by WAAC (West African Airways Corporation) DH Heron. My mother and I had two days in Rome and Kano on the way.

AlanA Jun 21, 2019 1:33 pm

52 years for he, BHX-JER, Vickers Viscount, beautiful aircraft and lots of room, well I was 5 lol
followed by a Court Line joyrney, when we just got off from Benidorm before the airline went bust

ratechaser Jun 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by anniegray (Post 31225955)
Only 51 years for me, LHR to ABZ. Boarded and sat where you liked!

I didn't realise Ryanair was around in the 60s...

As for you Pucci dear, youth is a state of mind... sadly I can't compete in this race but I do fondly remember my early flights to ALC - of which there were many - when even a relative LCC like Britannia, Monarch or Dan-Air would give you checked baggage, a hot meal and free booze (well my parents appreciated it). The trick was to be as far front of the smoking section as possible!