Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much extra is Club Europe worth?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
With lounge access through status, c£5 per hour of flight unless I am in a middle seat when it’s c£15 per hour of flight. Minus those sums if I have the exit row.

The lack of legroom and the inability to use a laptop properly is the killer.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The CE cabin is much calmer environment and of course being guaranteed a seat forward of the wings will deliver a smoother ride. Via Theoretical Seating, Gold card holders do receive the occasional added benefit of a row to themselves although IME less likely in an op-up situation.

Yes the seat rows are tight but there are small things you can do to maximise the available space around you that cannot be done when seated in ET, such as raising the arm rest and using the middle seat console to rest your arm. Doesn't apply to NEOs though, much to my chagrin
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:43 am

Ms HF and I did our first Club Europe flight last week, LGW to LCA. As a redemption and as non status holders we thought this was great value.

Club check in and fast track security worked well.

Lounge was good but busy. However the airport as a whole was busy (Friday morning in June) so it was still better than being outside, and we enjoyed the drinks and snacks.

The flight itself was good, with priority boarding being called, no shortage of locker space and the middle seat table being better than simply licking out with a spare middle seat.

The crew were fantastic and really got everyone in the holiday mood. This was despite an ATC slot restriction delaying us about 1hr, which was dealt with well with good information and invitations to visit the flight deck to pass the time.

Food was good and champagne and wine flowed liberally.

Very much enjoyed the package and at the right price would pay for it over Y.

To come back to the question at hand, how much would we pay? We said £50-80 over economy per person per leg depending on flight length.
Tobias-UK and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Here are my valuations:-

For a non exec club member I would value CE at between £50/75 to £100/£125 with the first set of numbers representing the 80 and the second set the 160 tier point routes. The later part of the pair is if you need the extra luggage. The benefits for this customer are clear. In addition to the empty middle seat, they have lounge access, food and drink on board and fast track.

For a Blue or bronze member I would add £10 - £20 for the extra tier points earned

For a silver member the value drops to £20 - £30 as the only benefits are the extra Avios and on board food. But chances are you will have less room as you may be able to snag an exit row in Y.

For gold I’d add a tenner to the silver value for the chance of snagging row 1.

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:45 am

Hi all just my 2ps worth - for what it’s worth! :-)

i think, It’s so hard to put a £££ figure on this as it depends on so many different factors, from disposal income, to personal space to length of flight etc etc. I can see why Gold/Silver card holders who get status through long haul flights, or through corporate means would rather have a Y exit row and not pay for the complimentary bar/meal service as they have most of the other benefits that come with CE (lounge access, priority boarding etc). If however, CE is the primary source of your tier points to gain status, I would put a higher value on it. In a nutshell, I personally would recommend CE on all band 3/4 flights if it’s at a price that is acceptable to you. For Bands 1/2 flights, I’d recommend it less so, unless it’s to build up your tier points for silver/gold status :-)
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've usually paid around £40-£100 above the price of Y for a return CE fare, which I find a pretty good value way of earning an extra 70/140 TPs per trip and useful for retaining Silver. I probably wouldn't pay much more than that, certainly not on the shorter routes.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Pre-status I used to take £60 off however much the upgrade was when making a decision as that’s been how much my bike cost anyway (it was never under 23kg). With status I pay for it when around £50-80 more than ET and then only when going on holiday with my wife at a socially acceptable time to be enjoying the bar runs. The bike races are just in ET as there’s no point paying. It was galling when they cut the “highest class leg” rule as I used to only book it one-way but get the double baggage both ways, but silver came soon after so that was well timed.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I tend to buy it just for TP reasons. But sometimes the offers are very good and I'll take them just for the extra comfort. In Jan this year I got return to BCN from LGW for 140 gbp (both ways in CE) compared to flying in ET for 110. No brainer.

From KRK to LHR I've regularly only had to pay an additional 30-40 gbp which is worth it for the TPs. Not had it going the other way.

This summer picked up 230 gbp return to SOF, which is well worth it for 160 TPs and leaves me on the edge of gold, which I'll bag on a LH to MEX in August.

If I had no reason for the TPs, I guess I'd struggle to want to pay more than 40-50 quid extra one way.

Suppose a lot of it depends on what you value personally.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by magnagraecia
If you had to put a figure on how much extra you'd be willing to pay for CE, what would it be?
Why do you care?

Everybody who pays for CE as opposed to ET reveals that he's willing to pay at least the price differential between the two. Everybody who pays for ET as opposed to CE reveals he's willing to pay less than the price differential between the two for the higher class. There's a continuum of people willing to pay a premium between [0, inf).

Considering (very roughly speaking) 10-20 per cent of people choose to pay for CE, we can conclude that for 80-90 percent the premium they're willing to pay is less than the one BA charges...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Ex LCY nothing.
Ex LHR/LGW about £60. Free checked bag is valuable to me.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The value for me at this point is almost purely in the tier points. Booking in CE vs not over the course of a year is generally the difference between renewing GGL and not, which I find to be pretty valuable.

The value in not needing to do a separate tier point run over the course of the year is at this point worth it given my current volume of travel (I’m trying to be away from the family as little as possible currently). That said I’ll pretty much only book CE if row 1 is available (unless a long haul aircraft) because I prefer the extra space to open the MacBook.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
It’s not really a value thing. CE is a terrible product. Y is intolerable. I largely fly J except on abwrage one Y deferment a year to remind myself why I do. Usually end up there because Y saver is available whereas I’d have to use a GPR for J.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I feel like it's worth about 50% of the ET price because of the empty middle plus the lounge access. I have to say though, even though this is the BA forum, I thought KLM was worth that or more since they also gave more legroom.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I confess to not micro-managing things like this. Same with 'value' of Avios, really.

We fly CE mainly because we almost invariably need the TPs
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Everyone is different as this post has proved.

For me, since reaching GFL I haven't paid for any CE POUGs as they're too expensive for the marginal benefit. If they were £20 then maybe but the lowest I am seeing is £59 to MAN which is really not a good deal IMO.

Maybe if it were £60 for a 3-hour route I might be tempted but even then it wouldn't be a given (and they won't offer at that price anyway!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.